Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just making a thread where I can post the custom characters I am working on, figure it would save me spamming the forum and just keep everything I am working on in one place. This post is just a placeholder that I will come back and add to/edit as characters get finished either stats or card wise. If anyone else wants to post their's here too to keep them in one central place feel free to.

Frederick Selous
The Savage Adventurer
Colonial / Horizons / Adventurer / Man

7 Speed
4 Health
7 Wits
2 Melee
2 Power
1 Damage
8 Aim
8 Point
5 Throw
3 React
6 Stealth
2 Armor
3 Strength
6 Intellect
5 Honor
9 Respect

Ranged bonuses: Powder Rifle,Long Rifle,Revolver,Long Pistol
Stealth

Gains +2 to stealth in woods and swamps (survival: 3)

Gains +2 damage when using Powder Rifle or Long Rifle (ranged: 15)

Value Breakdown
Survival: 134.2
Melee: 57.5
Ranged: 160
Adventure: 151
Total: 502.7
-------------------------------------------------------------
Solomon Kane (Revised)
The Hunter
Colonial / Folktales / Defender / Man

6 Speed
4 Health
6 Wits
7 Melee
4 Power
2 Damage
3 Aim
7 Point
3 Throw
7 React
5 Stealth
3 Armor
5 Strength
4 Intellect
7 Honor
6 Respect

Ranged bonuses: Black Powder Pistol
Melee bonuses: Brawler,Blade

Can use 2 melee weapons as long as one is of type brawl (melee: 3)

Gains +1 hit to Fiends and Villains (melee: 5, ranged: 5)

Value Breakdown
Survival: 145
Melee: 142
Ranged: 81
Adventure: 135
Total: 503
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Charles Ogier de Batz de Castelmore, Comte d'Artagnan
Captain of the Musketeers
Colonial / Horizons / Warrior / Man

6 Speed
4 Health
6 Wits
6 Melee
4 Power
2 Damage
5 Aim
4 Point
3 Throw
6 React
5 Stealth
3 Armor
5 Strength
4 Intellect
7 Honor
6 Respect

Ranged bonuses: Black Powder Pistol,black powder rifle
Melee bonuses: Brawler,Blade

Can use 2 melee weapons as long as one is of type brawl (melee: 3)

May forgo an attack with a melee weapon in order to add half of its power (rounded down) to his react (min. +1) (melee: 5)

If an enemy FOPPs on a melee attack may immediately retaliate with a single melee attack. This does not count as one of his normal melee attacks. (melee: 20)

Value Breakdown
Survival: 139
Melee: 147
Ranged: 77
Adventure: 135
Total: 498
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doesn't look like I will be able to do cards until Saturday due to no power thanks to the power company never fixing the stinkin issue that has caused it to go out 5 times in as many weeks... bah. This means I can't get your files to you til then Macs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Custom Character Thread
Thanks for this approach. Hopefully others will follow so the DoA2 board doesn't get overwhelmed with 100s of character variant threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Curtis
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ill just add my two characters I have created thus far here as well. I have one other character Im working on (a futuristic cyborgy kinda character)which Ill post here once I get a bit further on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll start posting mine here too. I am working on the avengers, the x-men, bible characters, and a few characters from other countries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah! Chris you figured out how to use the program; huzzah!

I'm glad for you man.

I'm still tryin', hehe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalidor wrote:

I'm glad for you man.

Well, at least muddled through it. Lol. It doesnt look great, but it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisgmay wrote:
Kalidor wrote:

I'm glad for you man.

Chris, soon as I get power back on Saturday (presently 3pm on Saturday) I am going to be re-working the templates to something a bit more user friendly. What Brett provided is fantastic but I think it could be made more usable by breaking out each age card into its own template file, with all the symbol and emblems on that one page. Then you can just save a new copy under the character name you are making and click and drag everything. I think I'm also going to go through and combine each of the symbolic objects into a single object so you don't have to do a drag select on them, and instead can just click on say the 4 wits symbol to select the whole thing and move it on to the card.

Hopefully this will make it a bit easier for those not overly familiar with Corel.

EDIT: BTW what are you talking about, your card looks FANTASTIC. Only thing I would suggest is the background you used for the special ability text. Select it, drag from the bottom left corner until it overlaps the black border of the card, then with it still selected hold CTL and start hitting page-down. That moves it further back in the layers, and if you keep doing it it will eventually drop behind the border layer and be nicely filled. If you try it you'll see what I mean. I also use that for the character picture above.

Just a little trick I learned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mltdwn wrote:
Chrisgmay wrote:
Kalidor wrote:

I'm glad for you man.

Chris, soon as I get power back on Saturday (presently 3pm on Saturday) I am going to be re-working the templates to something a bit more user friendly. What Brett provided is fantastic but I think it could be made more usable by breaking out each age card into its own template file, with all the symbol and emblems on that one page. Then you can just save a new copy under the character name you are making and click and drag everything. I think I'm also going to go through and combine each of the symbolic objects into a single object so you don't have to do a drag select on them, and instead can just click on say the 4 wits symbol to select the whole thing and move it on to the card.

Hopefully this will make it a bit easier for those not overly familiar with Corel.

EDIT: BTW what are you talking about, your card looks FANTASTIC. Only thing I would suggest is the background you used for the special ability text. Select it, drag from the bottom left corner until it overlaps the black border of the card, then with it still selected hold CTL and start hitting page-down. That moves it further back in the layers, and if you keep doing it it will eventually drop behind the border layer and be nicely filled. If you try it you'll see what I mean. I also use that for the character picture above.

Just a little trick I learned.

Thanks. I couldn't get the ctrl pagedown to work (i'm using adobe illustrator) but on your advice I stretched it out and then brought it back in the layers. Now it looks great. Great tips.

I would like to see the objects joined together too. That would make it so much easier. But now that you pointed that out I think I figured out how to do that too. Awesome. Sometimes it just takes a few tips and some time to figure this stuff out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad I could help bubba.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Curtis
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah Ill be sure to observe some of the tips others bring up as well. I made my two cards using Inkscape....which I believe is still a Free program. Works fine and just save them as a .png file.

The extending of the specials area is something I needed to have probably looked at on my two cards above to make fitting the text a bit easier...will look at that going forward.

Great job though Chris and Jarrett on the cards thus far.

My next test is actually printing them up...I bought some thick stock paper that I actually plan to print and then take up to local office store and have them laminate the card. At least thats my first plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good. I wanted to suggest it earlier or change which categories I was subscribed to (rather than the whole game) but then I decided not to because comments where made upon each individual character I guessed then separate entries helped. On the other hand those characters could had been posted as files I suppose with such comments.

Edit: Maybe you two should share ideas for the fonts and graphics used to make them consistent / like the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Curtis
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
On the other hand those characters could had been posted as files I suppose with such comments.

Edit: Maybe you two should share ideas for the fonts and graphics used to make them consistent / like the game.

Yeah...both of mine I just uploaded to my files on BGG and then linked them on the the threads. I wasnt sure if I should resubmit them as pics for the game or not. I thought they may reject them...wasnt sure.

On making the two cards I made...

I used Inkscape to make them. Basically just downloaded the packages they gave for the cards and then essentially just dragged the graphic items to Inkscape to make the cards. The readme file said they used Eras truetype fonts...so thats what I used on mine..I think I had ERAS Demi ITC to be exact. Inkscape does help some with lining things up with a sorta snap guide etc. Pretty easy overall.

As far as size..I just save everything as the size of the graphic in the file for the card. If you use Inkscape...when your done with card you just select "Export Bitmap" and save it out to a .png file. At least thats what I did.

Hope any of that helps anyone. I tried to make mine look as close to the real cards as I could. I think once I get a bit more practice Ill be closer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
Good. I wanted to suggest it earlier or change which categories I was subscribed to (rather than the whole game) but then I decided not to because comments where made upon each individual character I guessed then separate entries helped. On the other hand those characters could had been posted as files I suppose with such comments.

Honestly I just leave it whatever it is by default (I believe ERA Bold on the front, and Arial on the back) and then change the point size depending on spacing needed. For example the Solomon Kane one is 5pt because the 7.5pt it starts out at was way to big, and I know the background story I wrote for one of Macs characters (which he can't post yet because I have to get him the file) I had to use 4.5 pt to be able to fit it in. But I just use whatever came up as default within Corel for the text boxes.

Edit: Oh as for uploading the characters as files what I would LIKE to do, if we can get everyone's buy off, is once we get a certain number of characters in this thread (whatever number we as a crew of miscreants determine that number to be) taking all of them, zipping them up, and submitting them to the site as a fan made character expansion with of course a text file saying who made what. Then we can drop this thread and generate a new one for the next batch. Try to keep things from getting too cluttered (though with my replies here that doesn't seem to be working too well ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baz Hemmons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to say a big well done to you guys who've done such good jobs with the few card done so far! Amazing work already, I'm sure there's some incredible stuff to come! It's also a good idea to consolidate the threads before 'Variants' becomes a mess, but I was just thinking there may be a slightly better way to organise, namely two threads as follows;

1) Character Creation: Ideas, advice, discussion and critiques - this one would be a place for everyone to submit character ideas & possible stats for discussion and (constructive!) criticism from the community.

2) Completed Character Cards - Ready to Go! - this would be a thread with no discussion, just completed ready-to-print cards with graphics, backstories, etc

What does everyone think? I just think it'll be cool to browse through a whole thread of 'done' cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bazpoint wrote:
Just wanted to say a big well done to you guys who've done such good jobs with the few card done so far! Amazing work already, I'm sure there's some incredible stuff to come! It's also a good idea to consolidate the threads before 'Variants' becomes a mess, but I was just thinking there may be a slightly better way to organise, namely two threads as follows;

1) Character Creation: Ideas, advice, discussion and critiques - this one would be a place for everyone to submit character ideas & possible stats for discussion and (constructive!) criticism from the community.

2) Completed Character Cards - Ready to Go! - this would be a thread with no discussion, just completed ready-to-print cards with graphics, backstories, etc

What does everyone think? I just think it'll be cool to browse through a whole thread of 'done' cards.

STOP MAKING SENSE BAZ! Thread made here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1011835/completed-custom...

Since we've kinda derailed this one. Also feel free to change/edit your character posts if you find something you want to change (i.e. I'll probably add a background fill to Kane when I can).

Next character idea, Don Quixote... Though I am at a loss to come up with any fitting special ability... Though I think I'm going to reduce his speed to 4 (due to his slow old nag) and put in the "cannot use mounts" restriction. Anyone have any fitting ideas?

Idea for Quixote, all of his fails are FOPPS, all of his successes are AMAZE. So he is either really good or really bad, squeaks are just squeaks. Still want to figure out how to replicate his madness though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If we're still using this thread for ideas in progress, the Bludsturms are moving into the neighborhood. They would like to invite you over for vine. Except they don't drink vine.

(Created through a combination of the character value calculator's card generation and a little tiny bit of Photoshop Touch to add the portraits.)

Eleanor is from azraellovelyangel on DeviantArt (who no longer seems to be around ) Eleanor is now from a painting named "Lilith" of Rossetti's. And Samael is none other than the famous Bela Lugosi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I create new characters I always try to incorporate some different special ability or unique quality to the mix.

It makes calculating the points difficult, however, as I don't have anything from Brett to base it on, typically.

I gave The Paratrooper's special ability a 10 melee, 10 ranged and 15 Adventuring cost, so 35 total. This puts his grand total at 499.8

Also, as you can tell, I had some issues with adding the art and Ava's incredible program uses white background instead of the tannish one. (And the font is off in the special abilities box, as well.) I couldn't figure out how to alter/fix any of these things. Likely my fault, not the program's...as I am a bit oafish with these graphics programs...

I may, at least temporarily, go back to the long and pain-staking method Jarret developed, as I have ~25 days left on my trial of CorelDraw

OK, here's what I perceive to be a completed character. I don't think he's overpowered and yet, think he could be quite useful and a real thorn in the enemy's side. I tried to write a nice background story for him, as well. Although it doesn't have a ton to do with him specifically, lol!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bilbo Love what you did with them.... But I'm shocked... No "SPARKLE" power?

And it should be easier now Kal... Hopefully I got all the automation working right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Johnson
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
mltdwn wrote:
Gains +2 damage when using Powder Rifle or Long Rifle (ranged: 15)

That's a huge bonus! Sure he needs to get the right cards first, but against many characters in the game +2 damage turns a hit into a K/O. Are you sure this is only worth 15 points?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with Stephen here... +2 to Damage is a HUGE deal. I think maybe it needs a significantly higher cost or tone down his stats or something...
Making it hard for him To Hit would help balance that big blow...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalidor wrote:
I have to agree with Stephen here... +2 to Damage is a HUGE deal. I think maybe it needs a significantly higher cost or tone down his stats or something...
Making it hard for him To Hit would help balance that big blow...

I might give it a negative to hit, See Kal I told you youi should have posted your Selous .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.