Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Higgins
United States
Waco
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Using the image posted, does the VC special "Ambush" ability still apply if the USMC MMC OF's on them when they enter hex 1J6 (Provided the OF has no effect and the VC are able to continue into hex 1J7 and melee)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambush! When a Viet Cong unit (or stack of units) makes a Melee assault upon a unit that did not have LOS to it at the beginning of the Viet Cong unit’s impulse, the Viet Cong’s Firepower is tripled for the first round of Melee.

Assume the image is the beginning of the VC impulse. That would match the above criteria. VC begin their impulse out of USMC LOS. That's all that is required, how the VC get into Melee is not important. In fact, there is no way to enter an enemy occupied hex without entering the enemy's LOS.

I hope I answered what you were asking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Higgins
United States
Waco
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes sense to me Mark but what I'm thinking is that if the USMC MMC is not marked with a Moved, Low Crawl, Stealth, or Fired marker and they see the VC enter hex 1J6, then they would be shooting (OF)50 meters before the VC were on them. At which point it no longer makes sense to me, which could be the problem , that the "eliminated" USMC MMC's would not fight back in the initial Melee round "simultaneously".

That being said, I read the rules the same way you do and it seems like the exception to the rule I'm looking for here does not exist since it is not spelled out in the rules.

I might just have to give the VC their due and accept that they were exceptional ambushers!

Thanks for the help Mark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
freemontgrunt wrote:
That makes sense to me Mark but what I'm thinking is that if the USMC MMC is not marked with a Moved, Low Crawl, Stealth, or Fired marker and they see the VC enter hex 1J6, then they would be shooting (OF)50 meters before the VC were on them.

But the USMC unit does not "see the VC enter hex 1J6." The VC's entry into that hex is still outside the USMC unit's view. The VC unit is spotted somewhere in the middle of 1J6 or on the near side of it (probably the latter). So, the USMC unit may get a quick OF shot at 20 yards or so, but meanwhile the VC have cleverly worked their way through the trees into an exceptionally strong attack position. Hence, when the s*** hits the fan, the VC get their Ambush bonus.

Make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Higgins
United States
Waco
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep it makes sense...unless the Marines are 5 meters from the south edge of hex J7 which would mean the VC (when spotted) are charging through 15 meters of Jungle + 45 meters of open ground to get to the melee.

Just kidding Patrick. It makes sense because the results of "OF" could stop the VC in their tracks thus stopping a melee. Or if it does not stop them, the USMC MMC would still be off balance from the time they spotted the VC and then failed to stop them with OF thus giving the VC the "Ambush" bonus edge.

Thanks for the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.