Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First game of VE, and my 7 year old kid insists on being vampire. I caution him against it... suggesting humans might be easier. Nope. He wants to be vampire.

We spend the first couple of turns getting a feel for the game. This is the moat. This is the cellar. Etc. (we place the moat and cellar at right angles to the deck to avoid confusion).

He is too eager too early, attacking with a noble. I query with holy water... Yup, vampire. I kill it soon after. He remains over eager for his next vamp, revealing in order to use his vampire attack cards... sure enough, one Vampire bishop lies dead next turn. One more to go.

Then the lady comes out. I feel pretty sure from his body language she's human. In fact, it seems almost certain. He looks unsure. Says oh, can I use this card to do this? And he plays a support, and puts two defense on the lady. He says wants to use her as his human human-killer, until a vamp comes out. Why didn't you give her an attack toke then? I ask. Oh, he says, I should have. Ah well.

He puts his plan into practice by attacking a human with her. But in the second round he lays down a vampire card. You can't use that unless you are a revealed vampire, I tell him. Oh, he says, and a look of being caught crosses his face.

Wait a sec, is she a vampire? I ask. No, no, he says, looking shifty.

I realise... Aha! She IS a vampire. It all adds up!

So next turn I muster my best attack cards and lay in. No! He says. Don't do it! I feel a twinge of pity, but nonetheless slaughter her in her lair. So, was she a vampire? I ask.

At which point he leaps in the air, with a gleeful yell, No! Haha! You just killed your own human! This game is all about tricking you into killing your own people!

Holy moly... 7 and a half and I think he may have just done one of the most sophisticated double bluffs... or was that triple?... I have seen in a long time.

Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Dennis
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just got this game and my first play was with my son (14) who also decided to play the vampire .. we started slowly learning the rules and getting a feel for the cards ... things we fairly even throughout the game .. I had two of his vampire exterminated, but he then revealed his 3rd Vamp and began to eradicate the human population ... I built up my remaining human and honestly felt invincible with a hand full of beneficial defense cards, waiting for the holy water to appear to cleanse the castle ..

Of course my son then played a card that forced me to discard all those beneficial cards and then with ease dispatched the remaining human!!

I wasn't sure about this game and bought it on a whim .. but wow our first game was a blast!!

Can't wait to get another round in now!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trab
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stories about a truly FANTASTIC game! Thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ROTFL! Fooled by your 7 year old! Awesome! Great story...

Thanks for posting this about this very interesting game. Most appreciated.

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Meyers
United States
Central Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why you should never underestimate your kids...nor show them mercy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.