Eric Steffen
United States
St. Louis
MO
flag msg tools
badge
Trust Yourself!
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for a medium to light weight game that will work well with larger groups.

Say for example, we are tired of The Resistance and we want something a little more substantial than a simple party game like Say Anything.

I was thinking of picking up Citadels. Does it actually play well with 8? I am also aware that everyone seems to enjoy 7 Wonders but I am on the fence about shelling out the cash for that one...

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most people who have tried Citadels with 8 will tell you it's not to their liking. I've never tried it, so I can't comment on it.

7 Wonders will be touted as a much "better" option, but you have to keep in mind if your group can handle a lot of icons and the way they interact. It's not super complex, but they are *many*.

I was going to recommend Wits & Wagers or Dixit Odyssey, but you said you didn't want something in the vain of Say Anything, so I guess that's out.

You could try The Resistance: Avalon - which I'm sure others can tell you more about. I don't care for it, personally. Bohnanza is great, too.

Otherwise, there's the usual - Ultimate Werewolf. Or there's Ultimate Werewolf: Inquisition, which features 3-12 players, no player elimination, and no moderator; very interesting.

Also, there's a game called Vivajava: The Coffee Game that works up to 8 players. Or Cosmic Encounter with all 3 expansions (to get up to 8).

You're kind of shooting yourself in the foot a little bit when you rule out "party" games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza
Liar's Dice
6 nimmt!

For bigger games:
Outpost

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Citadels with 7 or more is an exceptional game!!!

With one caveat: don't expect the first game to be any good. Citadels runs smoothly once everyone knows all the role cards and how they interact with one another. If everyone at the table is an experienced Citadels player, it can be one of the most tense and fun games around.

However, it is nearly impossible to get 7-8 experienced players at the table at a given time. Those who don't know how the roles work will feel confused, left out, and ultimately, get destroyed by the experienced players. If everyone is unexperienced, the odds are good that a few will give up on the game after one playthrough because they aren't willing to play a game more than once.

Citadels is certainly a great game, but you have to be cautious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RoboRally
Formula D
and 7 Wonders
are all games you should consider with that many people.

I was on the fence with 7 Wonders as well. I even played it once at a friend's house and didn't enjoy it (mainly because the rules were poorly explained).

Then I played 7 Wonders again at a board game meetup where the rules were properly explained, and I realized it is an extremely fun, quick game that can accomodate many players without bogging down turns since you all play simultaneously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Steffen
United States
St. Louis
MO
flag msg tools
badge
Trust Yourself!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of the quick replies! I had forgotten about Bohnanza, and I may need to pick that one up.

Any other ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Soto
Uruguay
Montevideo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Panic on Wall Street!
Saboteur
Unnamed Object
6 nimmt!
Shadow Hunters
Shadows over Camelot
Dixit: Odyssey
Ghost Blitz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Castle of the Devil
Ladies & Gentlemen
Pow Wow
Timeline: Inventions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Steffen
United States
St. Louis
MO
flag msg tools
badge
Trust Yourself!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for the recommendations. There are definitely a few here I will have to look into.

I already have Incan Gold but I don't really care for it. There is something about the place a card down, then tell everybody to choose whether to continue, then wait till everyone has a card down, then reveal the card, rinse, repeat, that I just don't like the pacing of. When I have played it there just wasn't enough tension to make that whole process feel right/worthwhile. Especially, when the decision seemed arbitrary yet someone might choose to run away. I was trying to come up with a quicker, less clunky way of announcing whether you will continue or not, but I didn't really come up with anything...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
imtylerdurden wrote:

Play Formula D in teams with more than 6 players. One car per player, but scores based on how the team does as a group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:
imtylerdurden wrote:

Play Formula D in teams with more than 6 players. One car per player, but scores based on how the team does as a group.

That's a good idea! I've never thought of that. Any reason to play it this way? The downtime is still the same right?

+1 for VivaJava: The Coffee Game. I can't emphasize on how good this game handles 7 or 8 players. The game really shines with the full boat of players and IMO sinks with less players. My 7 players session took 2 hours or less.

I've played it and I think it's a light game. But I saw people commented the game to be a medium weight. Of course this varies with your gaming experience but I really think it's worth the try.

The interaction in the game is unique in a way that there's semi-co involve depending on where you send your coffee researcher. If there's other researcher in the same region as yours, all will become a team for the round and will discuss and vote to either blend or do research. Members of the team will change as the game progresses.

As for 7 Wonders, I really think you should go for it. The amazing thing about this game is it can be done in just 45mins with 7 players. I understand about the cost, as you essentially just getting cards. But note that the artworks are beautiful the quality is good.

Other games to look at:
- Ultimate Werewolf: Inquisition
- Saboteur and Saboteur 2 (expansion-only editions)
- Sleuth
- Fearsome Floors
- +1 Formula D

Please let us know what you're getting yeah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dtroy_de_rapcore wrote:
Morganza wrote:

That's a good idea! I've never thought of that. Any reason to play it this way? The downtime is still the same right?

-o- It adds a bit of strategy to the game to have another car that you're trying to help, or at least not hurt.

-o- It helps keep people engaged between turns to have another car or cars that they care about.

-o- It makes the game more social.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand what you are saying, but medium-light, more the merrier is pretty much the definition of party game- so it seem weird to rule out party games.

Arkham horror goes up to eight and runs smoothly if one experienced player runs the game.

Otherwise our group just plays cards against humanity or splits in two groups. Four is the sweet spot for most great strategy games so splitting eight in two can be very enjoyable.

I hate citadels at high player counts if you actually want strategy. If I wanted ganging up and randomly getting screwed by the game, I would just play munchkin and get the humorous art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrimThunderbrew wrote:

Arkham horror goes up to eight and runs smoothly if one experienced player runs the game.

I love Arkham Horror, but in my experience 8 players is too many. There can be long times between turns. If you enjoy the story aspect of the game then you would enjoy what other people are doing but you might spend ages waiting for your turn and then have an encounter where nothing happens.

I'd also say stepping up from a 20 minute game of The Resistance up to a 3 hour game of Arkham Horror is quite a leap and does not fit into the 'Medium-Light' category that the OP requested.

Large groups are hard to cater for, especially if you are looking for depth. Citadels should be cheap enough to be worth trying, but other than that I would agree with the suggestion that you split into 2 groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely try 7 Wonders, it really is a great game (well, I think so).

I dont really think there are a lot of icons to get straight, and people seem to pick it up pretty quickly. One game to get used to it, and you're away. Maybe keep the rules summary handy for the 2nd game...

It could be harder to pick up if noone knows it well to start with.

But well worth the effort. If I found another game that played so well and quickly with 7 people - it would be an instant buy for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Shadow Hunters for sure as a similarish type of game to Resistance.

And a +1 for Saboteur, might get bored of it after a bit, but it's cheap, quick, and fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Airick wrote:
Looking for a medium to light weight game that will work well with larger groups.

Say for example, we are tired of The Resistance and we want something a little more substantial than a simple party game like Say Anything.

I was thinking of picking up Citadels. Does it actually play well with 8? I am also aware that everyone seems to enjoy 7 Wonders but I am on the fence about shelling out the cash for that one...

Thoughts?
Everyone's hit most of the good options for 7+ so research the games listed here.

Citadels with 7/8 isn't very good (I like 2-5), 7 Wonders isn't very satisfying. Resistance, Roborally, and Formula D are my favourites. Cosmic Encounter with 7/8 is good too but the buy in is pretty high (base game + 3 expansions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LUCEOID
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
Infinity Dungeon is excellent fun. It's very role-playingy, and we ignore most of the special powers. And we also play with up to ten people, since the limit of 8 is because only 8 people get to vote (so we rule out the DM and the person who proposed the plan).

It's very cheap, although printing it out cost me £7. It comes in a pdf. Like... $5/£3.30.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Elder Sign can handle 8, also check out Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Airick wrote:
I am also aware that everyone seems to enjoy 7 Wonders but I am on the fence about shelling out the cash for that one...

33$ on Amazon? You might have trouble getting any game for 7+ players for too much less than that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Steffen
United States
St. Louis
MO
flag msg tools
badge
Trust Yourself!
mbmbmbmbmb
$10 is too much if it never hits the table

thefishman wrote:
Airick wrote:
I am also aware that everyone seems to enjoy 7 Wonders but I am on the fence about shelling out the cash for that one...

33$ on Amazon? You might have trouble getting any game for 7+ players for too much less than that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.