Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
George hasn't logged in for several weeks, which is very abnormal for him(usually here daily). Concerned something may have happened to him.

Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Freedom Rider - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd noticed his absence as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just checked his profile. I can't believe he's never been GOTW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He posted lots everyday but appears to have gone silent 4/30.

Hope he's ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe if you post in the regional forum (wherever Oregon is classified), there may be people who know him in person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Looking at his posting history, I don't see any indication that he was upset at something. Very worrisome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oregon is in the West region

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We noted his absence over in the wargame subforum a couple of weeks ago, but (as far as I know) hadn't heard any news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Someone noted:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/991063/no-sphere
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Thank goodness it's just a hiatus. I am hopeful that it will end at some point but am very happy to hear (given what little we know) that apparently he's OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't look good for a bit there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, can't a guy take a break without people freaking out?? Not to sound harsh but am I the only one that finds this reaction a bit odd? If I had noticed he hadn't posted in 2 weeks I likely would have done exactly what I did after reading the first couple posts of this thread. Looked at his profile, seen that he has 4 kids, realized summer is winding down and assumed he probably took a much needed vacation. What's with the 'OMG, he hasn't posted in 2 weeks' stuff??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Easton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What's with the 'OMG, he hasn't posted in 2 weeks' stuff??

Take it as a badge of honor, in a sense.

In martial arts, there is the concept of the “pillars of the dojo.” These are the guys that the dojo depends on for spirit and authenticity of training. I think Sphere is one of the pillars around here.

So, if he goes missing for a bit, people get concerned.

It’s not a prying or intrusion so much as the utterance of a worry that one of the core members may have left (or be leaving) the community.

Of course he can take a vacation or do whatever strikes his fancy, but I think what you are seeing is that BGG would miss his presence, so people ask.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bronwyn B
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is nice for the forum to show concern for its fellow members. :-) A bit Pollyanna, but it's true! It's good to feel cared about, even if it's only in 1s and 0s at times!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
alkaiser wrote:
Wow, can't a guy take a break without people freaking out?? Not to sound harsh but am I the only one that finds this reaction a bit odd? If I had noticed he hadn't posted in 2 weeks I likely would have done exactly what I did after reading the first couple posts of this thread. Looked at his profile, seen that he has 4 kids, realized summer is winding down and assumed he probably took a much needed vacation. What's with the 'OMG, he hasn't posted in 2 weeks' stuff??

It has been nearly three MONTHS not two weeks. He was a regular poster then he wasn't. And nothing in his profile to indicate he was taking a break.

People note and enjoy the guy's presence on BGG so we noticed Sphere's absence. Nobody's freaking out, but people were expressing a bit of concern. Relax.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Klein
Germany
Würselen
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
www.spielerleben.de
badge
www.spielerleben.de
mbmbmbmbmb
alkaiser wrote:

I really fail to see how this can bother some. If anything, threads like these only prove that BGG is not just an anonymous site for some, but rather is considered a real community where people care about each other, even if they've never met in person...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit- this was in response to Alan, can't fix the quote while posting on my phone.

Do you jump down people's throats when they ask how you're doing? Not sure I get why you're aggravated that we are concerned. He posted every single day and then he hasn't been seen in 3 months. If he never posted on BGG again, that's fine, I just wanted to know if the guy was ok. Last time a regular geek buddy stopped posting it was Tim Seitz/Outforblood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
alkaiser wrote:

Did he just adopt these kids? If not, then he's had kids for a while, BUT he has posted and updated regularly since 2004. A 3 month MIA after regular contribution for 10 years is something that would raise a flag in any situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
La Habra
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope George is ok. I always wondered why he was never "Geek of the Week." One of my very favorite posters/Bggers by FAR!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Edit- this was in response to Alan, can't fix the quote while posting on my phone.

Do you jump down people's throats when they ask how you're doing? Not sure I get why you're aggravated that we are concerned. He posted every single day and then he hasn't been seen in 3 months. If he never posted on BGG again, that's fine, I just wanted to know if the guy was ok. Last time a regular geek buddy stopped posting it was Tim Seitz/Outforblood.

Oh, remembering what happened to Tim makes me very sad. I hope Sphere is just taking a break and not battling any hardships. He's one of my favorites around here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took a break from Chit-Chat a while back and no one asked about me... modest

YAY, it worked!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmb
I'm doing fine in case anyone is concerned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere was generous to me when I had a bad break, so he shouldn't be afraid to let the community know if he needs a favor because I would certainly try to return that generosity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carquinyoli

Tarragona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
His last connection was more than a year ago.
Hope Sphere is doing well.
Sometimes we get completely saturated of things we adore. I played football (soccer) in competition until I was 27. Suddenly I quitted and in 10 years I have not played a single time. Hope that's the situation and he's OK. He's one of the smartest guys I've come across on the internet. Best wishes for him!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, anyone heard from sphere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.