United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game -- even the rule of advancing the legend track when defeating a monster. (It would be too easy otherwise.)

The only thing that tends to thwart the strategy game -- if I'm playing it right -- is the rule requiring monsters to move indefinitely up the "chain" of adjacent monsters following the same arrow track.

This happens frequently when there are a lot of them on the board, especially as the arrows tend to funnel them into just two or three distinct tracks toward the castle. It isn't uncommon for a Gor who is far from the castle to suddenly be in the castle because he's behind a line of Skrals and Trolls.

Thematically -- or, more accurately, diegetically -- it is hard to swallow the idea that a Gor can, for no apparent reason, launch himself like a rocket and move four or five times further than he normally could.

And it tends to thwart strategic planning, especially when the monster has suddenly arrived because of a monster token. I understand that the challenge is to break the chain in the appropriate place; but figuring out that sequence just isn't much fun, especially as it seems so counter-intuitive to the thematic expectation that the immediate threats to the castle would be the closest threats.

Otherwise, this game is brilliantly conceived. I hope some of the more design-minded people in the forum will create a monster movement variant that makes a bit more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
In a game where you only ever fight monsters solo, the chained movement is a way to create a sense that they are more dangerous when they are in a pack than when alone.

Thematically, I see it as the monsters sending each other into a battle frenzy as they group together. A lone creatures moves lackadaisically toward the castle, but in a group they feed off one anothers' blood lust and pick up the pace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thematic way to look at it is that your heroes are not the only forces trying to save the kingdom. The king's army is out there as well, doing its best to slow (but never stop) the horde of monsters. So a monster moving only one space represents some resistance that the monsters overcome in their march. Which is why another monster can leapfrog ahead, if that resistance has been dealt with by their brethren...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Thematically, I see it as the monsters sending each other into a battle frenzy as they group together.

I like it!

Congratulations on making such an excellent, thoughtfully conceived game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I think you're fighting with the games design in this criticism. While it has some style and flair of an adventure game, its designed as a pretty hard core euro-style puzzle game. So while the feature mentioned clashes with the theme, it very boldly embodies the actual design.

Lots of people want Legend of Andor to be something it isn't - seems you might have one shoe in that camp. Heck, I might have one shoe in that camp. But I'm not going to complain about it, because what it actually is is pretty brilliant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
I think you're fighting with the games design in this criticism. While it has some style and flair of an adventure game, its designed as a pretty hard core euro-style puzzle game. So while the feature mentioned clashes with the theme, it very boldly embodies the actual design.

Lots of people want Legend of Andor to be something it isn't - seems you might have one shoe in that camp. Heck, I might have one shoe in that camp. But I'm not going to complain about it, because what it actually is is pretty brilliant.

Careful Eddie. These compromising thoughts might turn you into "Eddie the Understanding Monkey".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see this complaint a lot. has anyone modified this to actually assist in gameplay not to make it easy but to help with the auto loss of some placement set ups? Or even with the leapfrog/chain movement is it beatable when they group up fast and early?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
krzykoopa wrote:
I see this complaint a lot. has anyone modified this to actually assist in gameplay not to make it easy but to help with the auto loss of some placement set ups? Or even with the leapfrog/chain movement is it beatable when they group up fast and early?

This is like asking if Pandemic is beatable if you let a bunch of adjacent countries get to three cubes. No - it's not...and that's the point of the game. You need to stop that situation from coming up.

Honestly, if you don't care for the chaining movement element of the game then fixing it isn't the solution. Playing something else is the solution. Solving the problems presented by chaining monster movement is the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
krzykoopa wrote:

This is like asking if Pandemic is beatable if you let a bunch of adjacent countries get to three cubes. No - it's not...and that's the point of the game. You need to stop that situation from coming up.

Honestly, if you don't care for the chaining movement element of the game then fixing it isn't the solution. Playing something else is the solution. Solving the problems presented by chaining monster movement is the game.

Out of 5 reviews 4 of them mention this as when the monster placement is a specific way there is nothing you can do meaning auto loss, thats what im referring to when im asking. My copy is on its way to me and I haven't played so I am asking more peoples opinion who have played if this is true or is it a lack of "skill" on the people who complain. Also it's not like asking about pandemic because you can stop that situation no matter what the set up depending on how you play if you play well theres always a chance. Thanks for your constructive insight none the less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I just haven't encountered an auto-loss scenario yet. I've lost games, but never because monsters came out in an unbeatable way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
I guess I just haven't encountered an auto-loss scenario yet. I've lost games, but never because monsters came out in an unbeatable way.

Thats good to hear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.