Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up Rook City, Infernal Relics and Shattered Timelines. I now sit at 16 heroes, 16 villains and 10 environments. That puts me at 1,820 possible 4-hero teams and 291,200 possible playthroughs to beat each villain with each team in each environment. Double it for advanced modes.

Now that is just the amount of variation that math tells us we have, but no one would make that an actual goal. But it does illustrate how much I have already. I can play 20 games and they will all be different in some way. One of the things I love about this game.

But why go bigger? The expansions add some new gameplay mechanics unique to their cards, but they don't significantly change the game.

Variety is the spice of life and all that jazz, but how much does it take before we are just too spicy?

Just curious at what drives you to get every single hero/villain/environment. Or if you don't go for the expansions, why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ries
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Greater Than Games guys have said that Sentinels has an end. There will be a point where the story will end and the expansions stop.

I infer from that that they feel they will have created enough variety that the game will live beyond the release of expansions.

I know I will be playing it well into the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I am happy with what we have. But I am excited for Vengeance to take this from a co-op to team play.

The only thing I "need" for them to finish up (so it won't feel incomplete) is to see all the Nemesis pairings get tied up. We are still missing several, especially from the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the game, so I'm going to buy it but the story being told is what keeps me looking at the cards beyond just reading their effects. Background characters who later become main Villains, heroes whose appearance are hinted at long before they actually appear, the twisty turny nature of the hints being given in the flavour text, that's what makes me want it more than another game with equally good (or better!) gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic DiGital
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the same reason why we get more than one comic book. I like lots of characters. Doesn't matter that the total number of combinations I can play are more than I will ever actually play. It's just interesting and fun to play using new characters that have an interesting new mechanic.

Plus, comic book fans are collector-minded almost by default, so we're going to want to get all of the available items.

And even crazier, what I'm really hoping for after they officially retire making new expansions, is that they come out with a Creator kit. Something that allows people to easily build balanced characters and environments using the same 'tools' and formulas that they use. And then make those characters available as print-on-demand at Printer Studio or Gamecrafter. I have a million characters in my own comic universe that I'd love to see Sentinel-ized.

So not only do I not think there are too many characters, I'd push for an unlimited amount to be made available through fan creation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly it's just as you said. Variety plain and simple. Sure I haven't played with every single hero/villain/environment combo there is. But I have played as every hero, I have played against each villain and I have played against each environment. And some combinations were way more fun than others but that's to be expected.

The main reason I want more is because I don't want to get bored with any one character. Each time I play I select the next character in alphabetic
order. This allows me to always be playing with someone different, I also only do this in 4p games. If all my games were 4p games that would be fine, but I've played a large number of 2p and solo games. That gives way to using specific heroes, villains and environments more often. By having a greater selection available to me the longer I will want to continue plaguing this awesome game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
The only thing I "need" for them to finish up (so it won't feel incomplete) is to see all the Nemesis pairings get tied up. We are still missing several, especially from the base game.

This is how I feel, too. If nothing more were to come out, I'd be happy, but it really has become one of my favorite games, and I want to support it for as long as they're willing to put quality expansions out for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game. I want to keep buying it so I can provide business to >G so they will keep going and hopefully releasing more great games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things I really like about the expansion exactly the fact that it doesn't change the base game. It just gives your a new hero/villain/environment that functions in a unique manner within the existing framework of the game, which means that I don't have to remove the expansion when teaching other people and don't have to juggle tons of new rules. The variety added means that I can play this game for many years and still derive a lot of enjoyment out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos "Koey"
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually want more promo Alternative Character cards for the Expansion heroes, as it gives them more replay ability.

It gives them more different play styles for different people.

Also makes the game more compact as you can carry less Heroes and still have high variability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koey wrote:
I actually want more promo Alternative Character cards for the Expansion heroes, as it gives them more replay ability.

It gives them more different play styles for different people.

Also makes the game more compact as you can carry less Heroes and still have high variability.

Come on, alternate Expatriette!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroic Baron Blade!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Though it wouldn't add any game content, I would love to see Miniatures for this game. If you wanted to make it practical, make them able to have health counters in their bases. It would probably be more pricey than I would want (looking at you Arkham Horror miniatures) but if they were reasonable, I would but them all. Maybe they could be grouped into Hero and Villain sets to save on costs. I wouldn't even mind environment settings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The storyline aspect of the game is an interesting one. I also really enjoy all the little morsels of narrative and character development that we get spread out through all of the cards. It is actually a lot of fun piecing together the personality of each character from the flavor text and artwork.

I think if the story was delivered in a traditional narrative form it would actually possess less substance. A big part of this game is a homage to the superhero stories of the past. The familiarty of everything is important to the game, but it could lead to the story feeling very derivitive if told in a standard comic book arch.

As it is now, the empty space between all the story nuggets gives us what we need to drive our stories. We fill in the pieces and essentially inject our own interpertations into the voids. Even if it isn't a conscience act, when we slap down heroes, a villian and a place we've created a unique situation to act out our roles. A story is told.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ralsar wrote:
The storyline aspect of the game is an interesting one.

is there a single source that collects the bits of story we do have outside of the game text? I know of the comic book issue 1 and of the bios in the rules and on >G website. I know the general narrative of the expansions.

What I don't know is specifics on what happened to Fanatic and Ra and some of the other "sources" that Legacy is dead-dead. Stuff like that, that is official canon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Though it wouldn't add any game content, I would love to see Miniatures for this game.

Not add anything to the game you say...

How about a whole new game?
Link to wild speculation thread on >G forum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
ralsar wrote:
The storyline aspect of the game is an interesting one.

is there a single source that collects the bits of story we do have outside of the game text? I know of the comic book issue 1 and of the bios in the rules and on >G website. I know the general narrative of the expansions.

What I don't know is specifics on what happened to Fanatic and Ra and some of the other "sources" that Legacy is dead-dead. Stuff like that, that is official canon.

Not really. There is only what is available here http://sentinelsofthemultiverse.com/multiverse and in the game itself. I don't know what their plans are beyond that. I would like to see more comic book issues though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Matchstickman wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Though it wouldn't add any game content, I would love to see Miniatures for this game.

Obviously they could go the route of a board game or an RPG. But the point of the question (I thought) was what more for this game.

I would be cool with a board game that the pieces could double for the card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Matchstickman wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Obviously they could go the route of a board game or an RPG. But the point of the question (I thought) was what more for this game.

I would be cool with a board game that the pieces could double for the card game.

I'd love to see a board game that is an extension of the card game that would allow me to use all my cards. No idea how that would work, but it would be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

OK, let me be more explicit, that's the >G crew playing a boardgame version of Sentinels. Whether it is a fan version or a playtest thing is speculation right now but given how it looks, going to go with official product.

For me, a new game continues the story, and whether that's the card game or not, that's what Sentinels is (to me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Calverley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I'm happy with what I have. I don't have any space left in the box.

If they did another expansion, I'd certainly buy it. But I would rather the same characters be moved forward in another game system. Sentinels is complete for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tellerium wrote:

If they did another expansion, I'd certainly buy it. But I would rather the same characters be moved forward in another game system. Sentinels is complete for me.

We already know Sentinels of the Multiverse: Vengeance is coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Calverley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
tellerium wrote:

We already know Sentinels of the Multiverse: Vengeance is coming.

True, but I was thinking something that would flesh out the characters more. Preferably a board game not a card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory J
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RPG sourcebook set in the world would be awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Matchstickman wrote:
OK, let me be more explicit, that's the >G crew playing a boardgame version of Sentinels. Whether it is a fan version or a playtest thing is speculation right now but given how it looks, going to go with official product.

For me, a new game continues the story, and whether that's the card game or not, that's what Sentinels is (to me).

I understand who is playing and assume that is an official product. Maybe Lanius created it when he worked on IR and was trying to sell them on it. The board layout seems like Arkham Horror's board so maybe it uses that basic structure.

My point was addressing your comment disputing that minis would add to the content. The point I was making is minis would probably not add to the card game besides eye candy. Obvious the pieces would add game content if it were part a brand new game.

In the context of this game, my answer stands. If in the broad universe of the game, I would definitely by happy for a board game, an rpg, other potential spin-offs, etc. But that wasn't the question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.