Popular Tags: [View All]
David McMillan
United States
Madison
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first rule of Dixit is that you never play Dixit to win. Dixit isn’t about winning. It’s about spending time with your family friends and just having a great time. The word Dixit is, as the rule book tells you, Latin for "he/she/it said". It’s a game about telling stories.

Unlike other board games that I enjoy playing, there aren’t many pieces to Dixit. There are several wooden rabbit shaped pieces that are used to keep score and come in a rainbow of colors. There are multicolored tiles with numbers printed on them ranging from 1 to 6. There’s a score board and then there’s what makes Dixit really unique... a giant deck of giant cards. Each of these cards has a different piece of artwork on it and, let me tell you, some of the artwork is rather strange. Illustrated by Marie Cardouat, the illustrations range from the fantastical to the outright absurd. One card might be a ship’s anchor that has been dropped in the desert. Another might be a young boy facing down a fire breathing dragon.

The idea behind Dixit is that you are a storyteller. You look at your hand of six cards and you choose one from your hand and describe it to the other players. You can be as descriptive or as obscure as you like. You can describe the card with descriptive words, or song lyrics, or simple word association or whatever you like. You then take that card and place it face down on the table in front of you. Then the other players look at their hands and they try to find a card that could conceivably fit the description that you gave. Once they have selected a card, they hand it to you face down and, after you have everyone’s cards, you shuffle the small stack of cards and then lay them face up along the edge of the score board. Each player should draw a card to replace the card that they have provided (including you). Then the fun begins.

Once the cards are all arranged face up, it is up to the other players to choose which card they believe is yours. The way this happens is this: along the edge of the score board are numbered slots for each card to sit in. The other players select the number tile from their supply that corresponds to the number of the card that they believe is yours and they place this tile face down in front of them. Once all players have select their tiles, the tiles are revealed and scoring begins.

Firstly, if everyone guessed your card, you get 0 points and they all get 2 points apiece. If one or more people guessed your card, but not everybody, then you and each of the people that guessed your card receive 3 points apiece. Then you look at the other cards that were guessed. The owners of those cards receive 2 points for each person that guessed their card. The first person to 30 points wins the game.

Obviously, with 2 to 4 points a pop, the game doesn’t take very long for someone to win. This is why I said that this game isn’t about winning. It’s about the experience. It’s about the chatter that goes on as the game is played. It’s about the gut busting laughter that ensues when someone places a card that matches the clue given in a comical way. It’s about the feeling that you walk away with more so than it is about the notch you add to your belt.

When my wife and I were first introduced to this game, it was at MidSouthCon 2013 and there was an actual copy of the game as a prize for the winner. I learned a lot from that game. I learned things you should and should not do. For instance, you don’t want to be too obscure nor do you want to be too descriptive. If you’re too obscure, then nobody will guess your card. If you are too descriptive, it’s going to be obvious which card is yours. It’s exciting when you give a really good clue that allows multiple people to share in the fun. Dixit is a game I could play time and time again and I recommend it highly. It’s great for grown-ups and it’s perfectly suited for young people as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have a lot of fun with Dixit, and I'm alway hoping to have enough people to play a game. Everybody have always a lot of fun, grownups, kids, players, not-players.
Just a correction: the hand is of six cards, not five.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.