Popular Tags: [View All]
David McMillan
United States
Madison
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the cellar's discard action only be used once during your turn?

For instance, suppose I ditch three estates using the cellar and draw two more estates. Can I use its ability again to discard the two estates that I just drew and draw two new cards to replace them? Nowhere on the card does it say that you can only use it once per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CarcassonneFreak wrote:

For instance, suppose I ditch three estates using the cellar and draw two more estates. Can I use its ability again to discard the two estates that I just drew and draw two new cards to replace them? Nowhere on the card does it say that you can only use it once per turn.
the OPT is implied. That's b/c there's a condition attached, doesn't mean you can spam it over and over again. It refers to one transaction or instance only.

EDIT: Fixed typo typing from a smartphone.

In fact, I played with someone who thought you could use Cellar this way, and that situation made its way onto my geeklist here...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/55299/item/1300594#ite...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
When you play an Action card, you do what it says on the card, in order. Once you've done what it says on the card, you can't do it again. In the case of Cellar, there are 3 steps:

1. You get +1 Action.
2. You discard a number of cards from your hand.
3. You draw cards equal to the number of cards that you discarded.

Once you do step 3, you don't get to go back to step 2 again. If you could do that, Cellar would be the most powerful card in the game, because you would eliminate any luck from card draws, and just be able to construct the perfect hand every turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl von Laudermann
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
louper wrote:
The game just doesn't make sense if you don't assume that all cards (unless they say otherwise) have a once-per-turn restriction.

Not to mention that Throne Room would be useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Use some common sense. If Cellar worked as you describe, you could repeatedly use it to just search your deck for whatever cards you wanted. Does that sound reasonable to you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
louper wrote:
CarcassonneFreak wrote:

Do any cards say "Once per turn"?

Surely you're not suggesting that Adventurer can be used to find 2 Treasure cards, discard the rest, and then just do it again, right?

Or that Mine lets you trash a Treasure card and gain one that costs up to 3 more than it and then do it again and again, essentially turning all your coppers in hand into golds immediately?

The game just doesn't make sense if you don't assume that all cards (unless they say otherwise) have a once-per-turn restriction.

I agree that OP is clearly incorrect, and agree completely with the explanation cited by Putts, but I don't believe OP's misconstruction is as blatant as, e.g., interpreting "+1 card" to mean "+ as many cards as I want".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that the OP's confusion may have to do with him interpreting the card as saying "Discard any number of cards. As soon as you discard a card, draw a new card to replace it. You may do this for any number of cards." Obviously it's not what the card says, but I can understand how a new player, not used to reading the cards in strict order, could interpret it like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McMillan
United States
Madison
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
louper wrote:
CarcassonneFreak wrote:

Surely you're not suggesting that Adventurer can be used to find 2 Treasure cards, discard the rest, and then just do it again, right?

Or that Mine lets you trash a Treasure card and gain one that costs up to 3 more than it and then do it again and again, essentially turning all your coppers in hand into golds immediately?

If my future in this game that I only just began playing involves running into people like you that wield sarcasm like a sword, then I'm not sure that I care to continue playing. I asked a simple question. I didn't ask to be treated like an idiot. Thanks for being a jerk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
louper wrote:
JJRR_Esq wrote:
louper wrote:
CarcassonneFreak wrote:

I agree that OP is clearly incorrect, and agree completely with the explanation cited by Putts, but I don't believe OP's misconstruction is as blatant as, e.g., interpreting "+1 card" to mean "+ as many cards as I want".

I wasn't interpreting it that way, either, nor did I assume the OP was. The examples I cited both dealt with "re-using" the rule text on the cards, not the + Card/Action/Coin part of the card.

I'm not sure that is a fair distinction, as +Card/Action/Coin/Buy seems to me no different than rule text. Even if the rule identifies the +Card... text differently, it certainly doesn't prescribe different rules.

In any event, repetition of rule text is not quite the OP's hang up: rather, the OP's issue was with the seemingly unbounded use of the concept of "any number of cards".

Whatevs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serena
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CarcassonneFreak wrote:

The effect of the played cellar is gone after you draw the cards. But if you draw another cellar or had another one in your hand you can use it, and repeat the steps of discarding and drawing new cars. But this way you lost 2 cards in stead of one (as you had to play 2 cellars) but this cards might be better than the ones you started with. And as the cellar always gives you plus one action you can play as many as you get in your hand till the point you have no more cards left in your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Horner
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Irgendwer wrote:
if you draw another cellar or had another one in your hand you can use it, and repeat the steps of discarding and drawing new cars. But this way you lost 2 cards in stead of one (as you had to play 2 cellars) but this cards might be better than the ones you started with.

This brings up the question as to if you have 2 Cellars in your hand, do you discard 1 of them to get an extra card, or do you keep it in case you want to discard any of the cards you drew with the first one.

It depends on how many other cards you are discarding and how many "bad" cards you have in your deck, but in most cases you are better off discarding your cellar, as you would have to need picked up 2 "bad" cards (without discarding the Cellar) to make it worth keeping the Cellar. If you would have picked up only 1 bad card, it works out to basically the same thing, as the 1 card you pick up from playing the 2nd Cellar is the same one you would have picked up had you discarded the Cellar in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roger1818 wrote:
This brings up the question as to if you have 2 Cellars in your hand, do you discard 1 of them to get an extra card, or do you keep it in case you want to discard any of the cards you drew with the first one.

It depends on how many other cards you are discarding and how many "bad" cards you have in your deck, but in most cases you are better off discarding your cellar, as you would have to need picked up 2 "bad" cards (without discarding the Cellar) to make it worth keeping the Cellar. If you would have picked up only 1 bad card, it works out to basically the same thing, as the 1 card you pick up from playing the 2nd Cellar is the same one you would have picked up had you discarded the Cellar in the first place.

This is good advice. I almost always discard Cellars when I play a Cellar unless my hand size is large (more than 5 or so after playing Cellar).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
atommc bomb
msg tools
can use the sell a car to discard cards you've already played?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Dominionaer
msg tools
mbmbmb
atommc wrote:
can use the sell a car to discard cards you've already played?
Automatic spell checker?

No. With cellar one can only discard cards, which are still in hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.