Subject: I hate stickers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday, my family and I came home from a vacation in Berlin, Germany, in which we'd extended our stay beyond just the family event to make a real trip of it. Since my anniversary and birthday also fell out during that week, so much the better.

Tonight, after theoretically putting the kids to sleep and while the wife is off at a late night work function, I punched out the five games we got on the trip so they'd be ready to play. I do this with new games because most often I play on shabbat when for religious reasons I can't punch peces out, write, etc. It's only caused a problem once with a game in the GBoH series.

One of the games required me putting stickers on a bunch of meeples in order to be able to play the game. Now, I'm legally blind, and I simply cannot line stickers up the way they are supposed to go. The only game with stickers to apply where I've managed a more or less presentable end-result is Hammer of the Scots where the stickers are big, they're applied to large square blocks and there's room for error. I'm not quite to the point where I'll avoid buying a game because it has stickers to apply but it is always a downside to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Can't you draft your kids to do it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
Can't you draft your kids to do it?

The elder daughter is 2yo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Faramir of Gondor
United States
Cartwright
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I don't like stickers either. I just wish they would print the design the components. I had a hard enough time putting the stickers on the army markers for Ikusa, and I only have partial use of my right hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
I'm physically capable, but can't manage to my satisfaction.

Glad I don't like block games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scholle
Australia
St Ives
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to buy my games second hand from BGG with the stickers already attached. Many hours and many dollars saved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Yesterday, my family and I came home from a vacation in Berlin, Germany, in which we'd extended our stay beyond just the family event to make a real trip of it. Since my anniversary and birthday also fell out during that week, so much the better.

Tonight, after theoretically putting the kids to sleep and while the wife is off at a late night work function, I punched out the five games we got on the trip so they'd be ready to play. I do this with new games because most often I play on shabbat when for religious reasons I can't punch peces out, write, etc. It's only caused a problem once with a game in the GBoH series.

One of the games required me putting stickers on a bunch of meeples in order to be able to play the game. Now, I'm legally blind, and I simply cannot line stickers up the way they are supposed to go. The only game with stickers to apply where I've managed a more or less presentable end-result is Hammer of the Scots where the stickers are big, they're applied to large square blocks and there's room for error. I'm not quite to the point where I'll avoid buying a game because it has stickers to apply but it is always a downside to me.

So I have a serious question and I mean no disrespect by it, I am genuinely interested. If you enjoyed punching out all the cardboard bits could you still not do it on shabbat? And what about the writing thing? You can't even write for leisure? How can you play games then?

Also what games did you get?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RiderPestilence wrote:
So I have a serious question and I mean no disrespect by it, I am genuinely interested. If you enjoyed punching out all the cardboard bits could you still not do it on shabbat? And what about the writing thing? You can't even write for leisure? How can you play games then?

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Prohibited activities

Jewish law (halakha) prohibits doing any form of melakhah (מְלָאכָה, plural melakhoth) on Shabbat, with some exceptions. Though melakhah is commonly translated as "work" in English, a better definition is "deliberate activity" or "skill and craftmanship". There are 39 categories of prohibited activities (melakhoth) listed in Mishnah Tractate Shabbat 7:2.

The 39 categories of melakhah are plowing earth, sowing, reaping, binding sheaves, threshing, winnowing, selecting, grinding, sifting, kneading, baking, shearing wool, washing wool, beating wool, dyeing wool, spinning, weaving, making two loops, weaving two threads, separating two threads, tying, untying, sewing stitches, tearing, trapping, slaughtering, flaying, tanning, scraping hide, marking hide, cutting hide to shape, writing two or more letters, erasing two or more letters, building, demolishing, extinguishing a fire, kindling a fire, putting the finishing touch on an object, and transporting an object (between private and public domains, or over 4 cubits within public domain).

(emphasis mine)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RiderPestilence wrote:
whac3 wrote:

I'll not make this an RSP discussion but the OP ought be clear.
Quote:
Also what games did you get?

A Few Acres of Snow because I'm a wargamer after all,
Agricola since it has a reputation as a good game and my wife slightly prefers euros,
Village which my wife found,
Zooloretto because my daughter likes animals and
Orchard for my daughter more specifically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.