Subject: LOS question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Asier Martin
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi all!!

I am playing solitaire the scenario 1 "four on four" (7.0) from "La Bataille d'Orthez" to learn the "Reglement des Marie-Louise" rules and I have my first question just when deploying the french units.
The question is about the LOS. I am going to attach a pic with the hexes I think are in the LOS of the 2/8 artillery inside yellow lines:

Is it correct?
Apart of this, what do you think about this deployment? Any tactical considerations would be welcomed!!

Thank you in advance for your comments!!

Regards
Alava
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thomas fernbacker
United States
hicksville
New York
flag msg tools
gbacw nut
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great choice first.
Second, it appers that you are on some high ground so LOS should not be an issue. Where is your target hex?

Tactically I'm not sure what your going for. And not familiar with this engagement.
I've done Auerstadt & just finished Quatra Bras, Albuera is next.

I'm actually a newby myself to this series and I'm really enjoying it.
MLR is a nice simply way of getting the basics for this series.
Good luck

FYI, if you type "large" between the brackets and after the image numbers, your image will show up large.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alava,

I think your LOS boundary is correct, with one excpetion. The open hex behind the woods (four hexes away, on the battery's left-front) would be out of sight because of the woods obstacle blocking Line of Sight (it would be different if the woods were closer to the firer). This is an application of 4.2.1 (blocking terrain).

It's been a long time since I've played Four on Four. First, the terrain is not hospitable to cavalry charges, but I think you've done well to put the cavalry on the flank. You may want them out of the sunken road altogether, and maybe start them further back so that they can charge to protect your right flank, while being further away from potential enemy fire (in the Regulations, they could deploy as cavalry skirmishers if they're the proper type of cavalry, and slow an enemy advance - in that case, they'd be further forward).

I can't recall the restictions on the set-up. In general, your skirmishers are fine, but you might want to have a formed unit closer to them to support them as they withdaw. You might want to have unit adjacent to the sunken road to benefit from that against enemy assault (at least they'd still have to cross it to get to you as things are now, so that's a plus). Battery 13/6 is vulnerable on its left flank - you'd be better deploying it between battalions for flank protection. The same applies to 2/8, although being further back it might be safe for now. I'd deploy that one regiment on the right (32?) in battalions to give it flexibility and to cover more ground. Lastly, I'd leave some gaps in your second line in case a unit has to Rout (you don't want a Routing unit to disrupt reserves, so plan Rout paths in advance). Putting the reserves a hex or two further back (and maybe leaving them in column) will help them Roll to Close in response to an enemy assault on the front line, and will make them more maneuverable if they need to move to the left or right.

Hope you enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.