Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Milne
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the first game done, we swopped sides, and Matthew got to implement his cunning LW plan.

This time, as the RAF, I was initially confronted with no signs of any Luftwaffe build-up, but there was a convoy close to Dover. Since Dover is a common target, I scrambled two flights of Spitfires, one to orbit the convoy and the other to orbit Deal (just north of Dover, on the coast).

Soon enough, RDF showed a small force of LW planes heading west from the Calais area, which soon veered north towards the convoy. I scrambled a squadron of Hurricanes to be on the safe side, while the flight of Spitfires over the convoy tallied and intercepted. Although the combat was inconclusive, the pilots did report that there were no bombers present, only Me109s.

I sent the squadron of Hurricanes to attack, since it was probable that the 109s were there to clear the airspace. Meanwhile, RDF reported more LW build-up over the Pas de Calais, which no doubt were the anticipated bombers. With no other squadrons in flying range, I had no option but to scramble the squadron of Defiants from Hawkinge; my last forward unit and one that was tremendously vulnerable to the 109s.

Luckily, after fighting the Hurricanes, the 109s had had enough and, low on ammo and disrupted, they went back to France, thinking their job done. My Defiants, meanwhile, climbing as quickly as possible, arrived in position over the convoy just in time to see about 30 Stukas drop past them, divebombing the convoy successfully. While they couldn't do anything about that, they did intercept the Stukas straight after, and managed to shoot four down without any loss.

End result: another Luftwaffe victory despite the unanticipated losses to the Stukas. Matthew was a trifle unlucky, as he had a good chance of the 109s hanging around even after tangling with the Hurricanes, and they would likely have dealt with the Defiants in short order. Still, once again this showed how difficult this scenario is for the RAF to win, as the scenario notes state.

We'd managed to get both these games played in about 2.5 hours, which meant we'd have time to play a bigger scenario after lunch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Smith
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great AARs Chris. They are making me more and more impatient about receiving my copy which GMT tells me is on its way.

Hope you post some more AARs of the bigger scenarios when you get onto them as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Milne
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers. I have an AAR of the game of scenario 2 waiting to be done. It's been written up on Consimworld, I've just got to pull my finger out and rewrite it here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.