Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Duel of Ages II» Forums » General

Subject: FINAL!! Fan Revised Character Templates for CorelDraw X6 Uploaded to Google Drive V 1.12 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
**Update: Cleaned up code, fixed bug with ranged weapons and uploaded a new Youtube tutorial on using it which is contained below**

So I redid the templates the Brett was kind enough to provide for everyone. Personally I find these easier to work with, but let me know if you would like me to change anything.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0By4uD_cay8nsUXd6VmpqenBEc2M/...

Had to fix a bug I screwed up and didn't verify that I had the new code in all the right places so ranged bonuses were broke.

Also tightened up the code and moved what I felt comfortable moving to loops. I'll do more as I go but I am trying not to impact functionality.

Changed and revised:

Updates again, figured out how to sync to the same file on Google-Drive so no need to change the link anymore.

New additions:

1. Added ability to choose a save directory, when you generate the character it appends the file name as the first 7 characters of the name after space and special characters are removed.

2. Added an Art BY box and card number box so you can enter them there before generating the card and it will fill those out automatically.

3. Added a "Save" button that will save a CDR file to the path from number 1.

4. Added an "Export" button that will export out an RGB, BGG compatible JPG of the card to directory and file name mentioned in 1.

5. Moved all images to page 2 in order to do this and changed code to pull from there.

It does take 1.5-2 minutes to do a card, but I am guessing that is still faster than dragging, dropping and lining up everything just right.

Also added a demo video. Nothing fancy, the first I ever made so....

Make sure you let me know of any bugs.

Requires CorelDraw X6 (I plan on revising it for 5 as well).

Go to Bilbo's awesome character Gen site at:

http://cgi.lairoflith.com/character-calculator/#

Create your character
Select "Get CSV"
Copy the text into a text file somewhere on your computer
Open up the template in CorelDraw
Go to "Tools -> Macros -> Run Macro"
Select the Module1.Macro1 and hit RUN

Then just follow the instructions on the popup

You now need only to do text cleanup or maybe slightly adjust the picture depending on what you select for your picture and it's dimensions. But it should work fine for the most part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Fan Revised Character Templates for CorelDraw X5 Uploaded to Google Drive
Jarret, this is fantastic...a step in the right direction for me (I'm closer...hehe)
But I cannot seem to get the things I am dragging & dropping, like speed icons and numbers, etc to show up in the forefront of the card image. They keep getting "hidden" behind the outline of the card.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong or how to avoid that happening?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalidor wrote:
Jarret, this is fantastic...a step in the right direction for me (I'm closer...hehe)
But I cannot seem to get the things I am dragging & dropping, like speed icons and numbers, etc to show up in the forefront of the card image. They keep getting "hidden" behind the outline of the card.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong or how to avoid that happening?

Doesn't happen with me, but try this. Click and drag a selection window around all of the icons that are below the character card, once they are selected right click and one of the options should be order or order by, something like that. Highlight it and another menu should pop out and the top selection or next to top should say bring to front. That should bring it in front of all of the other layers. If that works just resave your template for future use.

Key note when you click and drag it will only show an outline of the object until you release your mouse button. I actually like that as it makes it easy to line up over the existing graphics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're a frackin' genius!!!

Thank you; that works!

So, for now...it looks like I can make some nice copies of my babies.

I appreciate it so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalidor wrote:
You're a frackin' genius!!!

Thank you; that works!

So, for now...it looks like I can make some nice copies of my babies.

I appreciate it so much!

Anytime Justin, let me know if there is anything else I can do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigh...well, of course there would be...

I finally have the completed card.

Now BGG won't upload it because it's not an image.
How do I convert it to a usable image format?
I pasted it to Paint it! lmao! It looks terrible and has piss-poor resolution.
It's in my gallery now, if you'd like a laugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalidor wrote:
Sigh...well, of course there would be...

I finally have the completed card.

Now BGG won't upload it because it's not an image.
How do I convert it to a usable image format?
I pasted it to Paint it! lmao! It looks terrible and has piss-poor resolution.
It's in my gallery now, if you'd like a laugh.

In CorelDraw go to:

File->Export

Make sure you have JPEG selected in the file type selection box. Give it whatever name you want and hit OK. Another box will pop up. In the top right hand corner is will say something about color setting and it defaults to CMYK, make sure you change that to RGB (BGG won't accept CMYK), make sure quality which is a few selections down is set to 100% and then click ok.

Upload then FTW .

Edit: BTW if you haven't already I suggest before exporting you click to add a new tab at the bottom, go back to your original tab, click drag a selection box around your card, hit ctl-c (to copy) click to the new tab, hit ctl-v to paste and then export. Otherwise it will export everything on the page you have left over from your work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much again man!

Now, I'll be addicted and won't know what to do once my trial CorelDraw runs out, lol!

Here's a pic of what I've got, thus far.

and
and
although I had problems with the art section of Vahl, obviously...

and his brother
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Revision coming TODAY!!! I've almost completely automated the template so you will be able to export your character to a csv from Bilbo's awesome online character generator. Open the template, tell it to open the CSV and it will do everything for you OTHER THAN add the picture, enter in the background text, or the "special abilities" (though I am working on the special abilities but I don't think I will have it done in time for tonight's posting).

Other planned additions:

Automatically export the card to a RGB jpeg which BGG will accept.

Allow the selection of a secondary file for the background text, application and scaling of background text.

Automatic addition, and scaling of the powers abilities. and adjustment of the top border of the powers section.

So essentially all you will need to do is apply an appropriate picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ALMOST completely automated creation of character cards!!!

Updated to Revision .02 and submitted to BGG since I got the template down to 5MB. Until they approve it it is also available here:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0By4uD_cay8nsZFdaWEl4VnVEX0k/...

Requires CorelDraw X6 (I plan on revising it for 5 as well tomorrow).

Go to Bilbo's awesome character Gen site at:

http://cgi.lairoflith.com/character-calculator/#

Create your character
Select "Get CSV"
Copy the text into a text file somewhere on your computer
Open up the template in CorelDraw
Go to "Tools -> Macros -> Run Macro"
Select the Module1.Macro1 and hit RUN

Then just follow the instructions on the popup

Presently the background text file does nothing, just added that for the next week. Also you still need to input special abilities, move the images for the special abilities and starting cards, and add your front picture, but all of the rest of the card creation (stats, name, archetype, stuff at the top for the age, etc.) are all handled automatically now. And I plan on adding the rest in the next week.

Revised again I went ahead and added the "natural ranged attack" processing if the character has one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cry cry cry

I'll have to save up some scratch for CorelDraw 6 I guess, hehe.

This is seriously amazing news; I can't wait to play around with it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Murrell
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful work Jarrett. You and Ava will get Hall of Fame status if you manage to get the website and this working together. A fantastic tool.

Brett
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalidor wrote:
cry cry cry

For those who have no access to CorelDraw, I am working on a character card bitmap generator. So far I have the setting/circle/nature and major stats working. I'm going to work on the ranged weapon and the general ability icons next.

To tell the truth, the really hard part will be dealing with the text for me. And I think Jarret's going to do a much better job.

SpitfireIXA wrote:
Beautiful work Jarrett. You and Ava will get Hall of Fame status if you manage to get the website and this working together. A fantastic tool.

Brett

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BilboAtBagEnd wrote:
Kalidor wrote:
cry cry cry

For those who have no access to CorelDraw, I am working on a character card bitmap generator. So far I have the setting/circle/nature and major stats working. I'm going to work on the ranged weapon and the general ability icons next.

To tell the truth, the really hard part will be dealing with the text for me. And I think Jarret's going to do a much better job.

SpitfireIXA wrote:

Brett

Actually Ava, why do we have to do a bmp generator... well we do technically. But why can't we just fake, so to speak, what I am doing with Corel in my script which is essentially just shuffling stuff between layers.

Let me explain. How about taking the Jpegs as provided, we'll have to do some scaling and re-saving which I can help with, and store them somewhere. Then we just generate a temp page with whatever jpegs are necessary based on the stats and then from there, which is what is presented to the user, and then work on converting the webpage to a jpeg output.

As for the text, I'm checking into how to autoscale that. Surely there is some formula that says "Area is X, number of characters is Y so point size should by Z".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mltdwn wrote:

Actually Ava, why do we have to do a bmp generator... well we do technically. But why can't we just fake, so to speak, what I am doing with Corel in my script which is essentially just shuffling stuff between layers.

Let me explain. How about taking the Jpegs as provided, we'll have to do some scaling and re-saving which I can help with, and store them somewhere. Then we just generate a temp page with whatever jpegs are necessary based on the stats and then from there, which is what is presented to the user, and then work on converting the webpage to a jpeg output.

As for the text, I'm checking into how to autoscale that. Surely there is some formula that says "Area is X, number of characters is Y so point size should by Z".

I've discovered HTML5's canvas area, which lets me do what I think you're referring to. I can assemble the card and layer on top smaller images and text.

The code is not yet ready for prime time, but here's a preview of what it'll look like (correct stats and setting yet to be plugged in, but I'm still working on that):

My limitation is that I can't fill in the picture because remote resources are disapproved of in Javascript's toDataURL() method. I'm planning on creating a PNG of the ranged weapon separately so that people can layer it on top of whatever picture they put into the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks pretty darn good to me bud. On my end I got the template mostly finished, still missing adding the special powers text, adding a picture, and auto-scaling the text but everything else is pretty much there. Once you add the "No Trade", "No Give", and "No Limit" options on I can add those. Even actually did a demo video I posted on Youtube on it working...

The newest file can be grabbed here:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0By4uD_cay8nsbTRsblR5R2pHSDQ/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Fan Revised Character Templates for CorelDraw X5 Uploaded to Google Drive Updated 7/28/13
Heads up --- the CSV format is changing due to the new No Give, No Trade, No Limit checkboxes. I'm adding the options in the middle of the CSV lines, and adding a new field at the front that will allow me to version future CSV lines so I can handle CSV's with backwards compatability.

Here are the new headers (with just 1 special ability in this case; more special abilities are added afterwards, and due to their nature special abilities will always come at the end):

Version|Name|Title|Age|Setting|Circle|Nature
|Speed|Health|Wits|Melee|Power|Damage|Aim|Point|Throw|
React|Stealth|Armor|Strength|Intellect|Honor|Respect|
RangedWeaponPower|RangedWeaponDamage|
RangedWeaponRangeMax|RangedWeaponRangeMin|RangedWeaponArea|
CardsCommon|CardsSecret|CardsElite|Henchmen|
BonusRanged|BonusMelee|BonusMedical|BonusStealth|BonusArmor|BonusOther
|NoGive|NoTrade|NoLimit
|Special1|Special1Survival|Special1Melee|Special1Ranged|Special1Adventure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Fan Revised Character Templates for CorelDraw X5 Uploaded to Google Drive Updated 7/28/13
BilboAtBagEnd wrote:
Heads up --- the CSV format is changing due to the new No Give, No Trade, No Limit checkboxes. I'm adding the options in the middle of the CSV lines, and adding a new field at the front that will allow me to version future CSV lines so I can handle CSV's with backwards compatability.

Here are the new headers (with just 1 special ability in this case; more special abilities are added afterwards, and due to their nature special abilities will always come at the end):

Version|Name|Title|Age|Setting|Circle|Nature
|Speed|Health|Wits|Melee|Power|Damage|Aim|Point|Throw|
React|Stealth|Armor|Strength|Intellect|Honor|Respect|
RangedWeaponPower|RangedWeaponDamage|
RangedWeaponRangeMax|RangedWeaponRangeMin|RangedWeaponArea|
CardsCommon|CardsSecret|CardsElite|Henchmen|
BonusRanged|BonusMelee|BonusMedical|BonusStealth|BonusArmor|BonusOther
|NoGive|NoTrade|NoLimit
|Special1|Special1Survival|Special1Melee|Special1Ranged|Special1Adventure

Thanks bud, piece of cake, I'll just need to increment everything by one but the specials which is just one value I need to increment by 4, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Fan Revised Character Templates for CorelDraw X6 Uploaded to Google Drive Updated 7/29/13
Template Revised, two more things to do (character picture and talk to Bilbo about a bug I found with his CSV output) but other than that it works perfect as far as I can tell. Also added wrapping to the skills icons in case you do a lot of them, and auto-positioning of special abilities box and bottom bar based on how many lines of special abilities there is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Fan Revised Character Templates for CorelDraw X6 Uploaded to Google Drive Updated 7/29/13 AGAIN
Had to correct for a change Bilbo made to the CSV Output. Got the character image working now (it imports, and places in the right place) but doesn't crop. Working on that and then this should be done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: FINAL!! Fan Revised Character Templates for CorelDraw X6 Uploaded to Google Drive
Completely finished and link updated. Handles text, text scaling, all skills (make sure you enter them into Bilbo's site exactly as they are in the book), and you character picture as well. So now it only takes you as long to put together the pieces for the character and it does the dirty work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: FINAL!! Fan Revised Character Templates for CorelDraw X6 Uploaded to Google Drive
mltdwn wrote:
Completely finished and link updated. Handles text, text scaling, all skills (make sure you enter them into Bilbo's site exactly as they are in the book), and you character picture as well. So now it only takes you as long to put together the pieces for the character and it does the dirty work.

Bravo! Excellent work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BilboAtBagEnd wrote:
mltdwn wrote:

Bravo! Excellent work!

You too Bilbo, couldn't do it without you. So this puts us into the Hall of Fame right? j/k

Still want to add some other small things over time like and Art By Text box and card number text, and ability to save and export from the macro. But I can do that later. Tonight I'll probably clean up the code as I tend to do quick and dirty coding first to get things working, then go back through and optimize it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: FINAL!! Fan Revised Character Templates for CorelDraw X6 Uploaded to Google Drive V 1.1
Minor bug fix. Removed case sensitivity on bonuses, added a check in case someone puts in the terms Gadgets or Bots into the other field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.