Popular Tags: [View All]
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just logging my games played from yesterday. I played a teaching game of Caylus with a friend how also has a newborn, so with two newborns in the room, we just played to the first scoring and stopped. Then I got to play Settlers but unfortunately was forced to play with their house rules (which I hate).

Then I got to thinking - the last game I played before that was Skyrunner with my five year old and again, it was a modified ruleset to make it easier for her to play. Looking over my calendar for this month, I've played 10 games so far, and only THREE were with the original ruleset, the other 7 were modified in some way to compensate for my opponent's age, time limit, or in the case of Settlers, bullheadedness.

I hate this!! I had no idea I was such a game junkie that I'll put up with any sort of variant just to get to play!! OK, I can see modifying games for age, you have to draw the little gamers in after all. And unfortunately, sometimes time limits come up against the game, especially when you have kids. I suspect if we DIDN'T play a shortened game of Caylus with two newborns in the room, we wouldn't get to play Caylus at all. As much as I love all kinds of games, including short light fillers that would be more appropriate, I really don't want to have to give up on all heavier games for the entire time I have a baby after all!! And most unfortunate of all, sometimes I get so desperate to play a game that I'm willing to put up with all manners of shenannigans in the Settlers ruleset just to secure opponents. (And despite the changes, I just want to say I still almost won, I would have won on my next turn if that silly girl hadn't traded with the guy who had nine points, you NEVER trade with people who have nine points!)

So two questions for the peanut gallery - my current percentage of modified games is 70% of my games played this month. Can anyone top that?

Also, do you log modified games? I do, but I feel bad about it. I mean, we played basically one third of a game of Caylus. That doesn't really carry the same weight as if we had played a whole game. But at the same time, if I don't log it at all, it's just as inaccurate in the other direction. And when I log that I've played Blue Moon with my five year old daughter, what we are playing is essentially not the same game as the rest of you are playing when you play Blue Moon, we are playing with the same components and some of the same rules, but it's not the same. (Which also may explain why I've never gotten what the appeal of Blue Moon is supposed to be.) So what does everyone else do in these situations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I log modified games as the original game. Unfinished games too, mostly, unless I have played another complete game in the same session, in which case I'll likely just log it as 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
za nouge
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
I must confess I don't understand all the angst over logging games - aren't people logging them for their own benefit? I suspect (but haven't tried to verify) that the majority of people who use this site don't actually log their games, so it's not like you're screwing with the "accuracy" of the statistics or anything... if it counts as playing the game to you (and it sounds like it does, from your post), then log it, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Denise wrote:
(And despite the changes, I just want to say I still almost won, I would have won on my next turn if that silly girl hadn't traded with the guy who had nine points, you NEVER trade with people who have nine points!)

Yes! I agree! Never ever trade with someone who has nine!

Denise wrote:
Also, do you log modified games?

Yeah, sure, as long as it resembles the game I'll log it, although I don't think I can match your 70% benchmark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Wang
United States
west covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For sportsmanship, you always play the game for the win without cheating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sato
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Do I log games played with modifications? Absolutely. AFAIC, I did play the game (even if it was not played exactly in the manner intended by the designer). It doesn't matter to me if I'm playing with house rules or the game is finished before we reach the normal ending point, I'd still want to know that I played this game on this date. Besides here on the Geek, I also use Windopaene's game logging program, and on that I can add comments to remind me of the details (such as using house rules).

Taking this a step further, I log playings of games with expansions under the base game only. I do that to keep the total number of playings accurate, and again I classify this the same way as if I had used house rules instead of an expansion.

I know that others here feel differently (especially about logging expansion playings), and that's fine. This is what works for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.