United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
Ok, I'll list the card texts for everyone - I am almost 100% certain this works but here's me asking to make sure.

Chum
ICE Code Gate
1 Rez cost
↳The next piece of ice the Runner encounters during this run has +2 strength. Do 3 net damage unless the Runner breaks all subroutines on that piece of ice.
Strength: 4

Howler
ICE Trap
1 Rez cost
↳You may install and rez a piece of bioroid ice from HQ or Archives, ignoring all costs, placing it directly behind Howler. If you do, derez that piece of ice and trash Howler after the run is completed.
Strength: 0

Ok, so the "may" in Howler means that you don't have to install Bioroid Ice (for instance if you don't have one or just don't want to).

The "If you do" following that "may" clause has two conditions after it: 1) "If you do" then derez that piece of Ice and 2) trash Howler..."

Am I wrong in thinking that if you don't trigger Howler's "may" by dropping a bioroid then you don't have to trash the trap Ice leading to a REALLY annoying cheap server?

I don't know how viable it is but I wanted to put it out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
They will take 3 Net Damage. I already used this combination today and it works. Very, very cheap defense. Time to exploit the hell out of it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you have good reason for them to continue though what will most often happen is hit chum, jack out until you can break chum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnold Vincent Canaria
Australia
Kensington
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like it! The trash effect being connected by an "and" to the condition "if you do" does make it seem like Howler is Chum's newest best friend devil Add Whirlpool to make it a nice welcome to decoder-less face checkers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward K.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only downside is once they get a Crypsis or Darwin out Howler will never go off getting some ice back in the field. But I would say that is a good trade off because every access costs 3 cards or pay 9 (ouch) from Feedback Filters.

Hell if they hit you with Escher to break the combo but they still don't have an AI to break it, now it can go off and you can always trash chum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legit and awesome, that the Howler effect was optional is awesome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aka Neural Katana, only the runner breaks it with yog plus datasucker, whichare very common right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
IirionClaus wrote:
Aka Neural Katana, only the runner breaks it with yog plus datasucker, whichare very common right now.

Exactly. Still, it is something to keep in mind if the tide ever swings away from every deck doing the datasucker thing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:

Very true, but now you are threatening face checkers with code gates and sentries (if you are also running katana). Early game that slows runners down. I already do this with Chum+Chum, Chum+Data Mine, Chum+Ice Wall. Real cheap defense. Just what Jinteki needs early game.

The nice thing about Howler is you can install something like Eli after it. I had the same thought with that other new ice card, which cost 1 to rez Minelayer. Chum+Minelayer and I can let the runner help me make a fortress server, while he takes damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
mbmbmbmbmb
I think snitch will also save you? (runner viewpoint)
And any atman /datasucker / crypsis / darwin?

edit: sry, I just noticed the age of this thread ... please ignore whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.