Subject: Tie Breaker Question - What to do when VP's, goods & $ tie? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Puerto Rico question - How is the victor decided when the VP's are tied and the goods/money are tied as well?

Scenerio

Had a unique game of Puerto Rico this evening with four players. Player #2 was seemingly control of the game early with a nice advantage in cash. I (player 4) had a fair balance of cash/building and shipping goods.

In the absence of clear tactical decisions I resorted to overall strategic moves (also I should mention that player 3 made several decisions that benefited my play).

I felt as though I was in third place, at best, the entire game. However, two late game big building purchases and being the last player in the game to choose a role (mayor - to occupy both large violet buildings) paid just enough VP's for me to tie with player #2.

However, after a discovering we were also tied in cash/goods, we declared an unsatisfying tie, since the rules did not specify otherwise.

Just wondering if there is a clear cut way to decide when the normal tie breaker does not work. (?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, if you are tied in all three then it is a genuine tie. The odds of this are pretty low.

You can make up house rule tie breakers if you like, but they will be artificial (number of buildings clearly favours builders, production capacity favours shippers, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Tie Breaker Question - What to do when VP's, goods & $ t
Pistols at twenty paces works for me.

Yehuda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan The Man
United States
Unspecified
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are both winners in my book! (and that's how BSW handles it)

Had an even rarer 3-way VP tie (other player won by tiebreaker, tho) recently on BSW. That is one BSW and one FTF for me...

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ururam Tururam
Poland
Krakow
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Experimenting Warlock
badge
Caffa et bucella per attractionem corporum venit ad stomachum meum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes you just must break a tie (for example in a tournament to determine who advances to the next round). If you cannot afford the tie after counting VPs (1.) and wealth (2.), you can use the following rules in order:

3. Count the value of goods (without marketplaces, i.e., corn-0, indigo-1, sugar-2, tobacco-3, coffee-4) and add the money amount.

4. If still tied, count the colonists. (I went once to this!)

5. If still tied, the player who was the one to choose the game ending role wins (if he is among tied players); if he is not tied, the governor wins (if he is tied).

6) If still tied (improbable, but s*** happens), determine the winner randomly. gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Shocking Roulette?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BibKamp318
Belgium
Beerse [near Turnhout]
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple - Play againyuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Urtur wrote:
Sometimes you just must break a tie (for example in a tournament to determine who advances to the next round). If you cannot afford the tie after counting VPs (1.) and wealth (2.), you can use the following rules in order:

3. Count the value of goods (without marketplaces, i.e., corn-0, indigo-1, sugar-2, tobacco-3, coffee-4) and add the money amount.

4. If still tied, count the colonists. (I went once to this!)

5. If still tied, the player who was the one to choose the game ending role wins (if he is among tied players); if he is not tied, the governor wins (if he is tied).

6) If still tied (improbable, but s*** happens), determine the winner randomly. gulp

For points three and four, I would choose the lowest total rather than the highest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.