Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General Tips for Ground Floor:

This list came about as a result of the discussion that ensued following my strategy post about 2nd stage floors. I was thinking about possible first turn strategies, then realized that there really aren't any hard-fast strategies you can jump into blindly. Rather, there are some general tips I came up with that I think will guide both your first turn strategy and future turns as well. These are clearly non-exhaustive (and are based on only 6 plays), so I hope others will add their own key points below in the comments.

1. Don’t start making long term plans until you have a good idea of the long term economic forecast. If you paint yourself into a corner too early your strategy will likely be fragile. For example, I saw another player start a game getting another worker with the intention of using those extra discs to sell more goods than everyone else. This player geared all of their resources towards the hiring, training of that first turn worker and the manufacture of goods. But the game started Stable, Recession, Recession, Depression and the player saw almost no payout for his infrastructure. If you invest too early in a strategy and see no payout, you will find yourself with very few options! This brings me to tip #2...

2. Ground Floor is not forgiving. Mistakes can be extremely costly. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen someone (or myself) visit the Construction Co. being one Money or Info short of getting a floor due to not thinking everything through. This is devastating FYI. Try very hard to “math out” your turn with contingencies before you place your first disc. This actually speeds up gameplay since after your first placement you more or less know where the rest of your discs are going, so you can spare that extra thinking time.

3. Your extra time discs are only as good as your least efficient actions. For example if you have two extra workers (6 extra discs), but are consistently using 3 of those discs to generate 1 Info apiece in the Meeting Room, that last worker is essentially converting $3 into 3 Info each turn, which usually isn’t a great conversion rate, especially when you think of the cost to hire and train that worker. So, if you hire an extra worker make sure that the extra time will result in high efficiency actions. You need to justify $3 less per turn and the cost of hiring and training that worker. Generally in the early game a worker won’t pay itself back until 3 turns after you’ve hired and trained it. So if you hire a worker on Turn #1 it generally only starts to generate an advantage in Turn #5! Later workers pay themselves back faster as you will have more efficient uses for your discs (stage two floors) and workers tend to get cheaper.

4. Don’t underestimate the power of placing your discs last. Running a lean ship with fewer workers, going first and using buildings like Construction Firm are great, but they all have something in common: They contribute towards you running out of time discs before other players. Placing last is hugely powerful in Ground Floor! Let’s look at the Consulting Firm in a simple situation where your disc is in the first position in the right hand column and an opponent’s disc is just below that. If you get to place last you get to sit there and watch your opponent push both your disc and their disc through if they want any Info. If they don’t place in Consulting then you push your disc along once they are out of discs and you get the Info and they don’t. Same is true of the Factory. If you get to place last you can see everything your opponents do in the Factory before you place, possibly generating you huge amounts of uncontested $ if other players are not paying attention. (Of course often is it also beneficial to have first placement in the Factory)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drez wrote:
3. Your extra time discs are only as good as your least efficient actions. For example if you have two extra workers (6 extra discs), but are consistently using 3 of those discs to generate 1 Info apiece in the Meeting Room, that last worker is essentially converting $3 into 3 Info each turn, which usually isn’t a great conversion rate, especially when you think of the cost to hire and train that worker.

Nice post, Tim. This was my favorite part. Great advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you post this for my benefit Drez?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Rogers
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clive65 wrote:

Haha, better start studying laugh. I was just thinking about some of the observations we've made over the last few games and wanted to put them all together somewhere. Justin actually came up with a few of these, to give credit where it's due.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Drez wrote:
Clive65 wrote:

Haha, better start studying laugh. I was just thinking about some of the observations we've made over the last few games and wanted to put them all together somewhere. Justin actually came up with a few of these, to give credit where it's due.

I was just 'chatting' with the designer, David Short, about our game last night and how you annihilated and then we both see this post...great timing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drez wrote:

1. Don’t start making long term plans until you have a good idea of the long term economic forecast.

My question is probably because I've only played once, more than a year ago, but in preparation for playing again tomorrow night, I'm curious... How do you get a "good idea" of the long term forecast? Aren't you always only seeing the current and the next card?

Is it just waiting until the second stage when a third of the cards are through and you know there are only x number of each type of card in the deck?

Thanks for the tips, btw. I'm going to share them with the group before playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.