Popular Tags: [View All]
Val Doonican
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My boys have persuaded me that we need a D&D type board game! So, I have not got any of this type of game, and the obvious first stop were Ravenloft, Drizzt et al, and they do look fun. I suppose of the three Drizzt seems good for me and also the boys (age 8 & 6).

Would be good if I can solo occasionally plus maybe play with mates, so are there any other options? I have seen Dungeon Explore, and Descent, but that seems to need 2 players? Any other good options?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destrio Dai
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given their age, I heard good things about Mice and Mystics

I personally enjoy the 3 Dungeons and Dragons games. Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game is fun.

Super Dungeon Explore and Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) are more complicated. Dungeon explore you have to put together miniatures and Descent has a hefty rule book and system to play with kids but they might enjoy both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh willhite
United States
La Junta
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an 8 and 6 year-old girls. They love Super Dungeon Explore.

A kickstarter I pledged for, Galaxy Defenders, might appeal to the boys a lot, I know I can't wait for my copy to show up. It's full of 80' 90's SciFi tropes and right on the edge of cool/corny. Ameritrash at it's very best! It has the cool enemy AI mechanic, no one plays the badguy (so you're not always killing the kids).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Doonican
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Just looked at Super Dungeon and you have to put bits together! Thats a no no... Barely have time to play games, let alone make them. I think Drizzt looks best as very modular and they will win lots!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drizzt is great, definitely a good choice.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Look up Dungeon Venture. It was a print and play game for a long time and is finally getting a published release. Its more advanced than HeroQuest but lighter than Descent.

Copies go for about $32 on CoolStuffInc, its smallish box, and theres plenty of dice rolling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyssa McCain
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Mice and Mystics. I plan on introducing it to my 5 year old soon.

Also maybe consider Dungeon! to play with the kids. Very well priced and fun. Then you can spend the money you save on a grown-up dungeon crawler (D&D, Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition), etc.) as I think it's pretty tricky to find something a 6 year old can play (and enjoy) that will also have enough strategy and depth for a gaming adult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Another +1 for Mice and Mystics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizzie
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” ― G.K. Chesterton
badge
A Hug a Day keeps the Doctor away!
mbmbmbmbmb
Catacombs is definitely worth a look
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.