Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Serpent's Tongue» Forums » General

Subject: Card list rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Mason
United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know how many common, uncommon and rare cards there are in the set? I'm really tempted by this game and I'm trying to work out how many inscription packs I would need to get. Would also like to be able to have the occasional 6 player game.
Thanks in advance for any recomendations.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
btrhoads
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The incription pool is 450 cards. There is some info here:

http://www.becomemagi.com/a-slight-bit-of-not-so-bad-news-ch...

There is some additional info in the comments section about fluency card counts, but not necessarily rarity counts. There are 360 cards plus 30 Avak'Shar cards per inscription case. 2 cases (720 cards plus 60 Avak'Shar cards) should be a good first approximation. Any rares you don't get you can buy with Avak'Shar.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
btrhoads
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The lead designer had this to say as well:

Chris Gabrielson wrote:
Cards are going to tend to be ‘less rare’ than mtg in that we have 6 Canon, 4 Obscura, 2 Apocrypha in every Inscription pack. That is a higher percentage of ‘rare’ and ‘uncommon’ cards than other TCG’s. That combined with the AvakShar Wild card will probably drastically reduce the rare hunts, EXCEPT for the fact that we have 556 cards in our launch set. Because of the sheer size we opted to double the frequency of ‘rare’ cards in each inscription pack to 2.


108 of the 556 cards are in the base set, so you should not need to worry about those. I am not sure how the math works out. If the incription pool is 450, I would expect there to be 106 cards in the base set. They may still be tweaking those numbers.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey
Singapore
flag msg tools
Twilight struggling to find time to play
badge
Twilight struggling to find time to play
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess he wants to know the count of cards in the magi's chest.
The inscription pool is the number of unique cards that will be randomized across inscription packs.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
btrhoads
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Heishiro1976 wrote:
I guess he wants to know the count of cards in the magi's chest.
The inscription pool is the number of unique cards that will be randomized across inscription packs.


The website indicates there are 108 cards in the chest. These should be the same for everyone though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Mason
United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers for the responses. I think I remember hearing that there is some duplication in the magi box.
Surprised this information hasn't already been released, plus also it would have been good to hear a bit more about the PVE aspect of the game ie how many players.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
btrhoads
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
masonap wrote:
I think I remember hearing that there is some duplication in the magi box.


Yeah, I think that must be the case. That would throw my counts above off a bit. Some of the 556 cards must also be Avak'Shar only cards and not found in packs or chests.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
masonap wrote:
Does anyone know how many common, uncommon and rare cards there are in the set? I'm really tempted by this game and I'm trying to work out how many inscription packs I would need to get. Would also like to be able to have the occasional 6 player game.
Thanks in advance for any recomendations.


What are you hoping to achieve by purchasing inscription packs? Collecting all available cards? or ???

If you are looking for a 6 player set my suggestion would be to purchase 1 Speaker's Cabal and one Magi's Chest. This would give you the required pieces for 6 players and you would have 2 archive cases=60 inscription packs. Remember, each inscription pack contains random Avak'Shar. If you don't get the cards you were looking for you can use the Avak'Shar to get what you want. Also, purchasing inscription packs is not the only way to earn Avak'Shar. There are many ways! If you are planning a big order such as this you should do it soon. Pre-order prices are not going to last forever!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Mason
United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dudeman43 wrote:
masonap wrote:
Does anyone know how many common, uncommon and rare cards there are in the set? I'm really tempted by this game and I'm trying to work out how many inscription packs I would need to get. Would also like to be able to have the occasional 6 player game.
Thanks in advance for any recomendations.


What are you hoping to achieve by purchasing inscription packs? Collecting all available cards? or ???

If you are looking for a 6 player set my suggestion would be to purchase 1 Speaker's Cabal and one Magi's Chest. This would give you the required pieces for 6 players and you would have 2 archive cases=60 inscription packs. Remember, each inscription pack contains random Avak'Shar. If you don't get the cards you were looking for you can use the Avak'Shar to get what you want. Also, purchasing inscription packs is not the only way to earn Avak'Shar. There are many ways! If you are planning a big order such as this you should do it soon. Pre-order prices are not going to last forever!

As tempting as a speaker's cabal is was trying to keep the cost down, could I get by without having 6 spell books?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I was thinking about all the other components as well. Cards, all the counters, etc. The codex is really an integral part of the game. I suppose you could maybe play without everyone having a codex but you may run into issues depending on how you are playing (team battles, campaign, encounters)and you would still have to come up with something for all the other components.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christopher gabrielson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
There are 13 Cards in an inscription pack:

1 AvakShar Wild Card
2 Apocyrpha (Rare)
4 Obscura (Uncommon)
6 Canon (Common)


There are 108 Cards in the Magi's Chest, 18 of these cards are duplicates of other cards, thus there are 90 unique cards. There are duplicates to emphasize player's ability to focus in on particular strategies.

456 Inscription Card Pool
90 Core Set Pool

That does not count the Avak'Shar, ARG and Convention Exclusive Cards.


The Codex IS integral to many aspects of the game, particularly theme and utility. BUT SURE you can play without it. You could just put all of your cards in a pile if you wanted, and cover your prepared spells, print out a Serpent's Key and you're good to go.

Actually to tell you the truth you could play Serpent's Tongue without buying ANYTHING other than a lot of printer ink. All the cards are available online in fairly high resolution, and we play-tested the games for years with poker chips and scratch paper. Although admittedly you will have a hard time printing out the cards double sided for cheaper than we can provide it to you. And I find it distinctly difficult to get those backs to line up correctly, although apparently Flare has designed our Card Nexus to 'easily' do that.

Here is a small Forum Thread that talks about the rarity levels in more details:

http://www.becomemagi.com/topic/how-do-you-tell-the-card-rar...



3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Mason
United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses. The better half was convinced and pressed the button for a speakers cabal
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shockmoth wrote:
1 AvakShar Wild Card
2 Apocyrpha (Rare)
4 Obscura (Uncommon)
6 Canon (Common)


By the way, I love this thematic interpretation of rarity (except for the typo in apocrypha ). It spins the common as positive, accepted, tried and true, rather than mundane; however, one might find delightful surprises in the apocrypha….
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
btrhoads
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
There are 450 spells possible (total) with 202 Canon (Common), 135 Obscura (Uncommon) and 113 Apocrypha (Rare).


More info here:
http://www.becomemagi.com/topic/fluency-levels-and-playsets/
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.