Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
linh1987
Vietnam
Copenhagen K
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
I want to get into MTG (and, just like everyone else who post questions here, without breaking the bank) but I'm confused of all the different products available around zombie. Can you help me a bit? blush

First, my situation:
I'm living in Vietnam, so the local MTG community is nonexistent. My only option is buying a bulk of products to provide my group with something to play. So no tournament, Standard is not important, and what I buy will probably what we have with in a year or so.

I did some research and there're a few options that I could do to play with my friend:
- Buying some duel decks just to know MTG
- Buying some intro decks?
- Buy a deckbuilder's toolkit plus a Fatpack and make a drafting cube out of it?
- Buy a 4x uncommon/common set for cheap from eBay plus some Land card sets?
- Buy those 1000+ lot of card from ebay?

As I said before, all those options make me so confuse. With me it's more like figuring out how to buy it in bulk like a traditional boardgame and let people play it.

Any input will be appreciated laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
All your options are fine.

For the reasons people talked about in all the threads you've clearly read.

I think the duel decks would probably be the most fun option, followed by a cube once you learn to play.

9k + shipping-- I'll send you every card I own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Harris
United Kingdom
stevenage
hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
might be worth looking at Magic Online if you have very little local community.
Although then you problem of spending money on paper cards and digital cards. (although Magic Online cards much cheaper than paper cards)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
linh1987
Vietnam
Copenhagen K
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
All your options are fine.

For the reasons people talked about in all the threads you've clearly read.

I think the duel decks would probably be the most fun option, followed by a cube once you learn to play.

9k + shipping-- I'll send you every card I own.

9k$? Should I rob a bank for that? ninja
Which option do you think would last us the longest? If I buy a deckbuilder's toolkit plus a booster packs, will it provide enough card for at least 2 players? Do I need to buy anything else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
linh1987
Vietnam
Copenhagen K
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jorum wrote:
might be worth looking at Magic Online if you have very little local community.
Although then you problem of spending money on paper cards and digital cards. (although Magic Online cards much cheaper than paper cards)

I knew about Magic Online and was thinking about that, too. But my main idea is introduce the game with my gaming group (weekly). And playing with physical cards alway feels better to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen OConnor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Glass Bead Board Games
badge
Read my blog
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're new, dual decks are a great place to start. Also Commander 2013 comes out on November 1st. If you get all five decks, you basically have a closed preconstructed MTG set, highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Borkman
Australia
Menangle
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, my girlfriend and I started playing Magic a couple of months ago.

Things we have done so far:
* Bought 1000 bulk cards from ebay for $50
* Bought a couple of DeckBuilders Toolkits for $60 total
* Bought one pair of Duel Decks. Playing these against each other was how we learnt to actualy *play* the game. This was great fun, but playing the same two decks against each other forever has limited appeal.
* Started to construct some decks of our own and play them against each other, using the pool of 1500 cards that we had acquired. Good fun.
* Made a singleton cube from the bulk lot and the Toolkits. The cube was made from one of every card we had.
* Started doing 2-player drafting from our cube. Really good fun, even thought the cube is full of garbage and other dead-ends.
* Investigated a simple way to get a more-fun cube. Found a set of 1000 Modern Masters commons/uncommons on ebay. Bought it for $50.
* Build a 3:2 commons/uncommons Modern Masters cube, figuring that MM was designed to be wel-balanced and fun, so should be a really nice cube.
* Started drafting our new 500-card MM cube. So far this is GREAT fun. Very close matches, interesting cards.

We even went and played a tournament at the local with my son, but at 100-years-combined, my SO and I looked and felt a little out-of-place, even if we did wipe the floor with those store children.

Anyway, drafting from our Mtg cube has effectively replaced all the other ganmes that we used to play. It hasn;t been expensive - indeed, our purchses of other games have completely gone - and I envisage spending $100 or so every year to freshen up our cube.

It's really a very nice adaptable game, constantly renewable, without NEEDING great financial outlay. of course, if you want to compete away from the kitchen table, it may be another story entirely.

So, there'a long rave, and possibly a few ideas for you.
Have fun...
LBB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
linh1987
Vietnam
Copenhagen K
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Lee,
Thanks a lot for you detail reply. I am, too, also considering buying a 1000 cards lot to make a draft cube. What do you think? Since the cards will span a lot of set with different mechanics, do you think it will make a fun drafting and playing experience?
I am also considering buying a bulk of m13/m14 uncommon/common playset and a lot of basic lands to make a cube. Which approach do you prefer if you're starting from scratch right now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My advise to you, linh:

- Choose either M13 or M14.
- Buy a common/uncommon playset of the chosen set (4x each common and uncommon).
- No rares!
- Add in some lands (30 of each color).
- Builds decks from this pool of cards to pit against each other or make boosters, which you can draft.
- Have a lot of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Borkman
Australia
Menangle
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
linh1987 wrote:
Hi Lee,
Thanks a lot for you detail reply. I am, too, also considering buying a 1000 cards lot to make a draft cube. What do you think? Since the cards will span a lot of set with different mechanics, do you think it will make a fun drafting and playing experience?
I am also considering buying a bulk of m13/m14 uncommon/common playset and a lot of basic lands to make a cube. Which approach do you prefer if you're starting from scratch right now?

Hey, if you want to get some experience playing with a REAL deck, grab a pair of matched duel decks from wherever you can get them cheap, and play with those to get the hang of the rules, etc. Try trimming the 60 card duel decks down to 40 to experiment with the rudiments of deck building. Get SIX duel decks, and you have 30 match-ups right there. That would keep you playing for quite a while.

But I really like the idea of just getting your hand on a big box of cards. eBay is great for buying a bulk lot of miscellaneous stuff. If you can get a bulk lot all from a particular set, M12 or whatever, then they will be designed to work together in interesting and useful ways. For these you can build decks and play your friends, or draft and build your decks on the fly.

Anyway, from any randomish bulk lot of cards from around the same era of magic, you should be able to draft, build and play quite enjoyably. The process of drafting, building and aging from any cube is kind of self-balancing. You'll all end up with some good cards, and some rubbish, and you'll all build decks that aren't world beaters, but they will give you a lot of fun.

Btw, for drafting, we don't bother to separate the card into simulated booster packs. We just take a random 90 cards from our cube, and draft two player from that pile. If your collction of cards is a really mixed bunch. You could increase the number of cards that you draft from, maybe 50 per player, to make sure you can assemble a playable deck.

Note: you don't include basic lands in your cube or your drafting. Each player will add basic lands from a common pool AFTER the draft. Take the basic lands out again before you pack away your cube ;-)

Once you have constructed a few decks, built a first cube, drafted a few times, and ahead a few hundred games, you'll begin to get your own ideas about how to proceed.

Have fun,
LBB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seabie wrote:
My advise to you, linh:

- Buy a common/uncommon playset of the chosen set (4x each common and uncommon).
- No rares!
- Builds decks from this pool of cards to pit against each other or make boosters, which you can draft.
- Have a lot of fun!

I recommend M13, as it is one of the most popular draft environments of all time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
linh1987
Vietnam
Copenhagen K
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,
Just to get back on you. Thanks a lot on your inputs. I managed to get a set on 4x M14 uncommon/common plus 500 land cards. We have a first drating session today with 3 people (all has some kind of experience with Magic via PC game / MTGO). In short, we had a blast with it! It's not that we didn't now it but playing F2F really kick the game up a notch. I guess we can gradually grow from here if we want.
Again thanks a lot to all of you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Middleton
United States
Wise
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
delirimouse wrote:
Seabie wrote:
My advise to you, linh:

- No rares!
- Have a lot of fun!

I recommend M13, as it is one of the most popular draft environments of all time.

I got back into Magic for the second or third time at the onset of 13 and I loved it. Sadly I got a new job and I've lost interest in MtG. It is very, very addicting and it can become hella expensive if you get very serious. I spent about $100 in a month on cards a several months ago, but my friend will go out and drop several hundred dollars a month on cards sometimes. He has a collection of several EDH decks and a couple of tournament style decks. He has spent A LOT of money on MtG, but we sadly don't get together often anymore so our money was kind of wasted.

it's great fun though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RanDomino Nickelmaster
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's any help, according to the Wizards of the Coast store locator there are a couple of places where Magic is sold and played "just" 200 miles away in China http://locator.wizards.com/#p=Hanoi&brand=magic&a=search&et=...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
msg tools
Are there any active layers in Vietnam still?

Please PM me if there are

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.