Popular Tags: [View All]
David McMillan
United States
Madison
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played two hands of Dominion in my entire life and the other night we were playing with a card that would add +3 treasure, but it allowed the player on your left to dictate a card that you could NOT purchase during your turn. I forget the name of the card, but that's not really important to my question. the question is this: am I required to reveal all of my treasure at one time or can I play this card first for +3 treasure and make my opponent make their decision based only on what's been revealed and then reveal my remaining treasure later? I come from a Magic: the Gathering background where keeping your cards close to your chest is the nature of the game. Thanks for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To my knowledge (though you may want to review the Cornucopia or Hinterlands rules), you can reveal your treasure cards one at a time, and allow their special effects to go off, but you must eventually play all of them, and then you decide what you are purchasing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Pawlak
Poland
near Poznań
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's Contraband. And yes, you may play Treasures one by one, so your opponents do not know how much money you have when they have to tell you which card you may not buy this turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serena
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a card from prosperity and it's explained in the rulebook from Prosperity that you reveal your treasures one after the other. So it's a good option with this card ( I only know the German name of it) to reveal it as your first treasure, so your opponent isn't sure how much money you can spend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lonadar wrote:
To my knowledge (though you may want to review the Cornucopia or Hinterlands rules), you can reveal your treasure cards one at a time, and allow their special effects to go off, but you must eventually play all of them, and then you decide what you are purchasing.

You do not have to play all of your treasures if you do not want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CarcassonneFreak wrote:
I've only played two hands of Dominion in my entire life and the other night we were playing with a card that would add +3 treasure, but it allowed the player on your left to dictate a card that you could NOT purchase during your turn. I forget the name of the card, but that's not really important to my question. the question is this: am I required to reveal all of my treasure at one time or can I play this card first for +3 treasure and make my opponent make their decision based only on what's been revealed and then reveal my remaining treasure later? I come from a Magic: the Gathering background where keeping your cards close to your chest is the nature of the game. Thanks for your help.

Technically, you do not "Reveal" Treasure cards, you "Play" them. "Reveal" is something different that happens in Dominion, usually with Reaction cards. You play Treasure cards pretty much the same way you play Action cards, by placing them in the Play Area and resolving their effects. If a Treasure card has a big coin symbol, you get that much money to spend. If a Treasure card has text, you resolve the text, top to bottom, doing as much as you can in the cases where you can't do everything.

During the Buy Phase (after playing all of your Action cards in the Action Phase), you may play any or all (or none) of your Treasure cards, one at a time, in whatever order you choose. Then you may buy a card (or more than one, if you have +Buys). You are not required to play Treasure cards, but you must play all of the Treasure cards you are going to play before you buy any cards.

So yes, you can play the Contraband card (the one you describe) first, then wait for your opponent to choose a forbidden card, then continue to play Treasure cards. If you have two Contrabands, you would play them one at a time, with your opponent choosing a card that you can't buy after each one (so there will probably be two things you can't buy in that case). With some Treasure cards, like Contraband, it makes sense to play them first. There are others that usually make sense to play last. And some of them, like the basic treasure, don't really matter. When there aren't any special Treasure cards in play, people will often just throw all their treasure down at once, although technically they still resolve one at a time.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Horner
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Jeff said, technically you are always supposed to play your treasure cards one at a time (and play all the treasures you want before you buy any cards). Since many people will just play them all at once, a good house rule is to say that the bottom card in the stack is the first card played, and the top card is the last one played (as if they were one at a time on top of each other).

Having said that, when playing with inexperienced players it is good to help them play the treasures in the optimal order (at least initially, until the get the hang of it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McMillan
United States
Madison
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
CarcassonneFreak wrote:

Technically, you do not "Reveal" Treasure cards, you "Play" them. "Reveal" is something different that happens in Dominion, usually with Reaction cards. You play Treasure cards pretty much the same way you play Action cards, by placing them in the Play Area and resolving their effects. If a Treasure card has a big coin symbol, you get that much money to spend. If a Treasure card has text, you resolve the text, top to bottom, doing as much as you can in the cases where you can't do everything.

During the Buy Phase (after playing all of your Action cards in the Action Phase), you may play any or all (or none) of your Treasure cards, one at a time, in whatever order you choose. Then you may buy a card (or more than one, if you have +Buys). You are not required to play Treasure cards, but you must play all of the Treasure cards you are going to play before you buy any cards.

So yes, you can play the Contraband card (the one you describe) first, then wait for your opponent to choose a forbidden card, then continue to play Treasure cards. If you have two Contrabands, you would play them one at a time, with your opponent choosing a card that you can't buy after each one (so there will probably be two things you can't buy in that case). With some Treasure cards, like Contraband, it makes sense to play them first. There are others that usually make sense to play last. And some of them, like the basic treasure, don't really matter. When there aren't any special Treasure cards in play, people will often just throw all their treasure down at once, although technically they still resolve one at a time.

Hope that helps.

That really does help. That was very informative. I appreciate the assistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.