The Black Prince» Forums » Rules

Subject: Routing Cavalry When Charging? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A Voice In the Wilderness
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I just picked this game up recently, but I have several other "Rob Markham games", so I am familiar with the general system of melee combat employed by them, however BP has a slight twist to combat when it comes to charging heavy cavalry. At first the rules state if a heavy cavalry unit that has commenced to charge fails a "commitment roll" it is flipped back to its non-charging side and has a rout marker placed upon it[Rule 5.6]. Yet, later on, under the rules governing the Melee Procedure[9.32] it states that charging cavalry units that fail a commitment roll are only returned to their non-charging state and, moreover, that no unit routs when it only fails a commitment roll.

I'm just wondering if there was ever an errata on that as to which ruling takes precedence? I can see the thinking behind the first rule, as a herd of cavalry milling about wondering what to do after botching a charge attempt might be somewhat disorganized, but was it later considered by the design team to be a little too harsh to make them completely ineffective until a leader can rally them, hence the adjustment in the Melee Procedure? Or, is the opposite the case, that is, was it found the French cavalry were made too powerful by the charging rules and routing before combat was added to reduce their impact?

Ordinarily I'd play it by the first rule and not worry, but it becomes especially noticeable for an attacking player when his charging cavalry unit advances after a successful initial melee to make a second attack and fails the second commitment roll(!). I do own Winceby, which I consider more or less the definitive rules set for these particular style of games, and it's of note the extensive rules governing charging cavalry it employs do not consider routing unsuccessful cavalry units before actual combat takes place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Voice In the Wilderness
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I finally have a copy of the "sister" game to BP, Henry V, and believe I have the answer to my question above:

Under the corresponding rule 5.6, Heavy Cavalry Units and the Attack Command, the part about the Cavalry unit routing if it fails a morale check in melee has been removed, so now the cavalry unit simply does not attack if it was a commitment roll, and I assume does not rout if it was a check as a result of actual combat - charging heavy cavalry just got a little more formidable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
It does seem as if the routing would be a bit too much, even against skirmishers, heavy cavalry is not guaranteed a hit in melee, and so usually has to hang around for some time. I think we just automatically played by the general rule and ignored or did not even notice the special exception.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.