Subject: Vampire: TES - advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested in giving this a try and would appreciate some advice.

- Based on currently available (i.e. new, rather than 2nd hand on ebay) decks/starters what would be a good starting point?
- Comments on the game suggest it 'shines' in multi-player, but is it still worthwhile for 2.
- How much of an initial investment is needed to get a proper flavour of the game? I guess I'm hoping to dip my toe in the water without going beyond two starters and a 'few' boosters - is that reasonable?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
This is actually fairly playable with the base set alone. Of course, in tournament play, you will definitely need to explore the world of expansions. Unfortunately, while it is the best multiplayer CCG out there, it is not very good as a two player game, as most of the game mechanics and card abilities are really designed for multiplayer (at least 4 players is optimal).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Goudie
United States
Lake View Terrace
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:

- Based on currently available (i.e. new, rather than 2nd hand on ebay) decks/starters what would be a good starting point?.

The best place at the moment is probably The Camarilla Edition starter decks. If you only want to buy 2 starters, you could go with Malkavian and Brujah. They represent 2 of the more common strategies.

Quote:
Comments on the game suggest it 'shines' in multi-player, but is it still worthwhile for 2.

Still worthwhile. Political cards are less interesting with 2. But that's just one strategy. Even with five players, politics doesn't always come up.

Quote:
- How much of an initial investment is needed to get a proper flavour of the game? I guess I'm hoping to dip my toe in the water without going beyond two starters and a 'few' boosters - is that reasonable?

You can get the flavor with just the starters. They'll work nicely.

-Robert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Jyhad/Vampire. A lot. In article I once wrote for another website profiling my top ten favorite CCGs, Jyhad rated fourth. Good flavor, tons of gameplay options, and just the right level of complexity to be a truly involving CCG.

Having said that, let me add--this game is ABYSSMAL as a two-player game. You can see the likely outcome of most of your options, and once you get in the lead there's no reason not to pile it on. In a multiplayer contest, even if your "prey" is down you still have your predator to keep you honest, and since you cannot attack your predator directly you have to find your own ways of dealing with that (many of which involve you backing off on the attack of your prey, for example).

So...big thumbs up from me...but only as a 3-4 player (or preferrably more) contest. We used to have huge 8-10 man games at the local comic store, and those games were all memorable and intense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Goudie
United States
Lake View Terrace
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...as most of the game mechanics and card abilities are really designed for multiplayer (at least 4 players is optimal).

I think "most" is a bit overstated. The "bleed only to the player on your left" mechanic is clearly designed for multiplayer play as are a handfull or two of policial action cards (some force you to divide damage between 2 or more players, etc.).

There may be a couple of other things and some additional cards that I haven't listed but there's a library of 2200+ cards and "most" are definitely not designed for multiplayer.

V:TES is a player elimination game. You can only win by eliminating other players. Played to conclusion, all games eventually become a "2 player game" anyway.

But I agree with the sentiment. If the intention is to only play two-player games there might be a better choice of game. If there's a chance that if he likes it with two players he would then be interested in seeking out a playgroup, then it is definitely worth picking up the starters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input.

I suspect from what I'm reading so far, is that 2 player is probably Ok for getting an idea of the game, but that to get the most out of it you need to play with 3, 4 or even more.

I think I'll get my toe wet!

Cheers.

Gordon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:

- Based on currently available (i.e. new, rather than 2nd hand on ebay) decks/starters what would be a good starting point?
- Comments on the game suggest it 'shines' in multi-player, but is it still worthwhile for 2.

Thanks in advance.

Pick up 4-5 of the pre-constructed decks and you will have more than enough of an investment to start off with. Try to get similiar clans and or disciplines if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I don't think a 2 player game is "abysmal", I do think a 5+ game is perhaps the best multiplayer game EVER. As for it ultimately becoming a two player game, yes it does. However it's the getting there that's fun. Which you don't get if you begin it with only two players.

If you want a stellar two player card game, Netrunner's the place to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.