8 Posts

Advanced Squad Leader» Forums » General

Subject: Cardboard ASL online rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fargo Gamer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
hey folks, i've written an article over on Gamesquad explaining how I play ASL over the net using the real boards and counters (without VASL). There's a club link at the bottom if you'd like to join in and meet some other players who play like this.

Have a read of the article and see what you think:

http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?113727-Playing-Ca...)

cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. It shows two things: there is really no lack of people with whom to play ASL and ASL playerd can be very creative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willow Pearson
England
Leicester
flag msg tools
Never drop a crate!
mbmbmbmbmb
Was looking at trying VASL to learn to play (given there's zero options for F2F in the whole region) but I already clock 10+ hrs a day in front of screens for work so I'd like a break. Definitely going to look into this.

Or are players likely to get fed up with newbies slowing down a real-time game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice method, especially using the cam to verify dice.

I don't really need validation. If you've played long enough, you will have scenarios that you have been diced to hell, so if my opponent wants to lie, and has the same great rolls ALL the time, probability might not agree with him.

BUT, we play for the fun of the game. LOS checks? No big deal, especially with Noobs...they should get free LOS Checks to "train" them to be better players. Noobs are necessary to continue the game...

Years ago, I did PBEM with boards... I created 28"x28" particle wood Platforms which I could stack on one another next to computer. I had 6 games going once...The cat can ruin one but not ALL

I am one that wants to view the entire board...They are beautiful pieces of artwork and need to be appreciated... 8" to view just doesn't cut it.

Great that you've stepped out of the box!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
We few,we happy few,we band of brothers;For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother: be he ne’er so vile;And gentlemen in England now-abed Shall think themself accurs’d they were no here That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deathninja wrote:

Every ASL'er was a newbie once (and Every experienced ASL'er is STILL learning the finer rules etc !)

slow or fast are always welcomed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not true. Some of us sat by our pregnant wife and read the ASLRB to our unborn child. You can easily get through the whole thing a few times in nine months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
ASLChampion wrote:
Nice method, especially using the cam to verify dice.

I don't really need validation.

For me, there's a stronger reason for the cam - the simple pleasure which arises from the tension of watching one's opponent's dice tumble, spin and finally land

Verifying the rolls isn't a big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred J
Netherlands
Wassenaar
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deathninja wrote:

On the contrary, I believe that most players are happy teaching newbies (i certainly am!!).

Anyway, just like you I spent a fair amount of my daily time in front of a computer screen so I would go for anything (when playing ASL of course) but VASL.

Fred
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.