John Choong
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Encounter at Amon Din, there is the introduction of a new Hobbit hero which will allow us to make a full Hobbit heroes deck (in combination with Frodo and Bilbo Baggins). However, I don't really understand how Pippin's ability works. It says, "Response: After an enemy engages you, raise your threat by 3 to return it to the staging area. Until the end of the round, that enemy cannot engage you." When the text say you, does this mean the whole party with Pippin in it which a player controls?

Though the threat level of Pippin is low, I wonder how it is possible to put him into play together with the other Hobbit heroes without engaging the enemies. My concern is that if the enemies are not engaged and remain at the staging area, the threat level of the enemy characters will go against questing. Anyone has solution to this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wilson
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When the text says you, it is referring to the player that controls Pippin, not everybody else.

Pippin's ability should really be a last resort. You should be relying on cards like Hobbit-sense and Out of Sight (dropping your threat with Good Meal + Galadhrim's Greeting, or Arwen + Elrond's Counsel) to have the enemies engaged with you and ignore them.

This article on FFG shows a Hobbit deck Caleb Grace designed:

http://fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4196

I've used it to successfully beat:

Journey Along the Anduin
Hunt for Gollum
Conflict at the Carrock
Dead Marshes
Into the Pit

and am currently working my way through some of the later quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Sharpe
United Kingdom
Luton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brighknight_216 wrote:
Though the threat level of Pippin is low, I wonder how it is possible to put him into play together with the other Hobbit heroes without engaging the enemies. My concern is that if the enemies are not engaged and remain at the staging area, the threat level of the enemy characters will go against questing. Anyone has solution to this?

Zwerg uploaded a good review of this AP earlier on today with more-or-less that conclusion; this ability is not useful in solo play, but works well in multiplayer if the other player is more combat focused:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1011984/lets-pummel-some...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.