United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused about the "mounted" board that some people are referring to. My copy came with two boards, one sturdier map that was split into several sections, and another map that was basically a piece of glossy cardstock folded in half. Neither of these was particularly thick or close to what I would consider to be a "mounted" board. Is there another, thicker, mounted form of the board I can get (or that I should have gotten)? Something closer to what we usually see in a boardgame? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Harris
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak.
badge
Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen. -- Winston Churchill
mbmbmbmbmb
The puzzle board is the mounted board. It's the paper map. Mounted. On cardboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
I'm confused about the "mounted" board that some people are referring to. My copy came with two boards, one sturdier map that was split into several sections, and another map that was basically a piece of glossy cardstock folded in half. Neither of these was particularly thick or close to what I would consider to be a "mounted" board. Is there another, thicker, mounted form of the board I can get (or that I should have gotten)? Something closer to what we usually see in a boardgame? Thanks.

Historically speaking you don't buy VPG games for the components (though after they got the laser cutter the counters have become very good), you buy them because the gameplay is good .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
orpheanjmp wrote:
The puzzle board is the mounted board. It's the paper map. Mounted. On cardboard.

Thanks. I figured that was the case, but I read a recent review that referred to the "nice and thick" mounted board. The puzzle board is fine, and serves its purpose nicely, but "nice and thick" probably wouldn't be my primary description (considering that literally every other boardgame I own has a board 3 times as thick as this).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Braun
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My mounted puzzle board is as thick as the counters. When I compare the thickness with my other game boards from companies like flying frog (fortune and glory) or fantasy flight games (Arkham horror or mansions of madness) the mounted board is thicker.

Are you sure you're not using plywood?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dalembraun wrote:
My mounted puzzle board is as thick as the counters. When I compare the thickness with my other game boards from companies like flying frog (fortune and glory) or fantasy flight games (Arkham horror or mansions of madness) the mounted board is thicker.

Are you sure you're not using plywood?

Seriously? My "mounted" puzzle board is barely thicker than the thickness of a playing card, though more rigid. The counters are a couple of millimeters thicker than the board.

This is why I was asking, because I am wondering if there is a thicker, mounted version of this board that I haven't seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Braun
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, seriously. Looks like they used the same stock board as the counters to make the board. I don't know what version of the game it is that I have (other than second edition, and the rulebook contains the Mar errata included, like "carter can not enter the tunnel track at any time"), but it's the boxed version, not the polybag one. My version came with both the mounted puzzle board map (called that because it's three pieces that connect like a puzzle) and the 11x17 card stock map. Maybe you're referring to the card stock map.

VPG's website has a place where you can order just the mounted board for $5.50.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dalembraun wrote:
Yep, seriously. Looks like they used the same stock board as the counters to make the board. I don't know what version of the game it is that I have (other than second edition, and the rulebook contains the Mar errata included, like "carter can not enter the tunnel track at any time"), but it's the boxed version, not the polybag one. My version came with both the mounted puzzle board map (called that because it's three pieces that connect like a puzzle) and the 11x17 card stock map. Maybe you're referring to the card stock map.

VPG's website has a place where you can order just the mounted board for $5.50.

Thanks for responding. That's pretty reasonable for a board, though I still don't know why or how I didn't get it with my box edition. Maybe I'lll order it and see what comes.

I should add that I love this game. I wouldn't care if the board had been scrawled on a napkin, that's how much I love it. If there's a thicker board (comparable to other board games), that's only a plus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Braun
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you ordered the boxed edition and didn't get the puzzle version, then I'd recommend sending a note to VPG's customer service folks and ask for help in getting a replacement for the missing part. The worst thing that could happen is they say "no" and then you order the board... the best thing is that a puzzle board shows up at your door!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently got the game and my mounted board is thin like cblazer said.

So, is there a thick mounted board of the same thickness as the tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.