BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming Articles

Subject: Leaving a bad taste...or...Somebody Get a !@#$% Timer! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank McGirk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This wasn't supposed to be the final game of the evening.

We had been trying out some 4 player games that we've never gotten to because when we do finally get together for games...we usually have at least 5 or 6 players. But when Mac and Danielle arrived, we chose Lord of the Fries as a quick appetizer before trying Secret Tijuanna Death Match.

My dorks and I are usually big fans of the Cheapass Line. The games hit our sense of humor, and since we don't play all that often we're not really that concerned with replayability. And again, they usually accomodate up to 8 players.

I had tried Fries out with my friend Marty and some of his family last Christmas and was uninmpressed, but it was late and everyone was pretty sedate.

We were pretty jolly last night up until this game killed us.

The main problem with this game is that you can choose the menu instead of rolling for it, and this takes FOREVER!

Some people forget that it is a FREAKING FAST FOOD ZOMBIE GAME AND NOT A STRATEGY INTENSE WAR SIMULATION!

If we ever play again there will be a 30 second time limit on choosing a meal or it is rolled for you.

Perhaps there will be a spanking penalty for delay of game as well.

I'm not sure why just declaring whether you want the cards or whether you want the cards to rotate with a mandatory roll wouldn't work...though I highly doubt I will ever get a chance to find out.

Really can't understand the popularity of this game, and I blame it for the death of Febuary 25th's Game Night.

You bastard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunatly, choosing menu in a fast food restaurant always takes time

But seriously, there is quite a few situations where you'd want a timer to speed up a game. Even strategic games should include that most of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pigs fly, Hell freezes over, and someone manages to suffer Analysis Paralysis in a Cheapass game. wow

One of the good things the new Roborally added was a timer when there is only one player left to program his robot: If he's not finished by the time it runs out, someone grabs his remaining cards and fill up his phases randomly. Dunno how that would translate to Lord of the Fries though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heldt
United States
Harper Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Two panzer jocks in the South Seas hoping that soon they'll get lei'd--
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a general suggestion here, but I've always felt that anyone who thinks that another player is taking too long should signify this by starting to hum The "Think" Music From Jeopardy(Yes, that's the actually the title of the piece), and if the slowpoke hasn't started moving by the time you've reached the end, the slowpoke's turn is over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Reist
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
davepanzer wrote:
Just a general suggestion here, but I've always felt that anyone who thinks that another player is taking too long should signify this by starting to hum The "Think" Music From Jeopardy(Yes, that's the actually the title of the piece), and if the slowpoke hasn't started moving by the time you've reached the end, the slowpoke's turn is over.

We only pull this out in extreme circumstances, but this has known to occur at our regular gaming group. The problem is that on occasion the slowpoke in question won't even make up his mind by the time the music is over, and that's when we just flip the table and instead take well-deserved joy in picking him up and throwing him out the front door. Hopefully to be eaten in the cold by a rabid raccoon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon David Faeth
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
davepanzer wrote:

We may have to institute this into our gaming repertoire, since I'm really bad about AP.

Sometimes we start doing golf commentary while they decide what to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.