Lord of the Fries» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Leaving a bad taste...or...Somebody Get a !@#$% Timer! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank McGirk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This wasn't supposed to be the final game of the evening.

We had been trying out some 4 player games that we've never gotten to because when we do finally get together for games...we usually have at least 5 or 6 players. But when Mac and Danielle arrived, we chose Lord of the Fries as a quick appetizer before trying Secret Tijuanna Death Match.

My dorks and I are usually big fans of the Cheapass Line. The games hit our sense of humor, and since we don't play all that often we're not really that concerned with replayability. And again, they usually accomodate up to 8 players.

I had tried Fries out with my friend Marty and some of his family last Christmas and was uninmpressed, but it was late and everyone was pretty sedate.

We were pretty jolly last night up until this game killed us.

The main problem with this game is that you can choose the menu instead of rolling for it, and this takes FOREVER!

Some people forget that it is a FREAKING FAST FOOD ZOMBIE GAME AND NOT A STRATEGY INTENSE WAR SIMULATION!

If we ever play again there will be a 30 second time limit on choosing a meal or it is rolled for you.

Perhaps there will be a spanking penalty for delay of game as well.

I'm not sure why just declaring whether you want the cards or whether you want the cards to rotate with a mandatory roll wouldn't work...though I highly doubt I will ever get a chance to find out.

Really can't understand the popularity of this game, and I blame it for the death of Febuary 25th's Game Night.

You bastard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't get this game. I love Zombies and fast food, but I don't get this game. Is there even a strategy to this game, aside from rolling for your menu selection early and then choosing them later in the hand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N. Pomeroy
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is precious little strategy; that's what I think makes this a good "party game" from Cheapass, IMO. You should, however, make some things very clear up front, if people aren't experienced with the game. Tell them:
1. DON'T call out an order that you are 1 short of filling. It has to go around the circle twice before you get a chance to fill it with your [ingrdient list -1] hand. It won't happen.
2. Call out orders from *what you have in your hand.*
3. Roll the first few to get some more cards/ingredients *to build more completed sets*.
4. Don't spend forever looking at the menus *when it's your turn*. Look at the menu while someone else is calling/filling.
5. Organize your hand by *completed orders,* not by ingredient, if you can do it.
6. It's not rocket science; there's no perfect combo; the customer is getting angry; get a move on.

You can speed things up by giving everyone a copy of the menu, and teaching them the naming conventions ("cheeza-" = with cheese, "-bunga"= on a bun, "cowa-" = with cow meat, etc...). That way you will know what's in a "chickacheezabunga" by hearing the call, and not having to consult the menu. they'll only have to memorize the odd menu items, like "The Patriarch."

You can tell people it it's like any set-matching game (think solitaire, or gin rummy) and they'll probably treat it as such. Spending a minute to tell them "there's no way to intentionally screw someone else, and your responsibility is to empty your hand with sets as soon as possible" can go a long way.

Now, for those of you that like a little more strategy: This game is an excellent exercise in card-counting. Practice the card counting to figure out what ingredients have already run out and which ones are in large supply. Keep track of the Pie (it's fun to follow the pie! )and either get rid of it or use it in a full-patriarch quickly.

I've played this game a lot (well relatively) with my (teenage) students this year, and these rules made teaching the game and the first game session much easier than at other times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is vastly improved with interested, attentive players. Being a lover of all things zombie-ana helps too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The edition I have has a timer. You can't take forever or the timer will get you.

Also, we tend to play quickly. My order calling towards the end is slower but I'm under the time limit.

Strategy:

Try to call our your biggest combo, especially if you think nobody else can make it.

Card counting is useful.

Don't roll random too much or you'll lose the initiative.

Pay attention to cards you've passed. Remember what you've passed people.

Pass high point cards you think you could get stuck with, towards the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.