Hide
9 Posts

Formula D» Forums » General

Subject: Great Start! and mo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lumpy pumpy
msg tools
bought this fantastic game. however, we are in doubt about the starting rules, after rolling for pole position etc. It says if you get a 1, go nowhere, if you get 2-16 you roll 1st gear dice and move, if you get 17-20 you move 4 squares - and may start your next go in 2nd gear... so this means a normal start cant go to 2nd gear and essentially have to roll 1st gear for the start AND for his first go after that? And great start both get 4 squares AND a higher gear (2nd) on his first proper go? we got in doubt because it made our guy on pole blitz way ahead with great start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, whenever you roll a gear die, including 1st gear, including starting the race, you may choose to shift up a gear on your next move.

The only reason 2nd gear was explicitly mentioned in the event that you get a great start by rolling high on the black d20 is because in that case you're not rolling the 1st gear die -- you're getting an automatic "4" for your move. If they hadn't said you can roll in 2nd gear on the next turn, some might play rules lawyer and claim that since you didn't "use" the 1st gear die on the first move, you can't go to 2nd without having first rolled the 1st gear die. You shouldn't play with people who make claims like that....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
LumpyPumpy wrote:
bought this fantastic game. however, we are in doubt about the starting rules, after rolling for pole position etc. It says if you get a 1, go nowhere, if you get 2-16 you roll 1st gear dice and move, if you get 17-20 you move 4 squares - and may start your next go in 2nd gear... so this means a normal start cant go to 2nd gear and essentially have to roll 1st gear for the start AND for his first go after that? And great start both get 4 squares AND a higher gear (2nd) on his first proper go? we got in doubt because it made our guy on pole blitz way ahead with great start.

We don't play with the fast start rule for the reason you state.

Did you start with the basic rules or jump right into the Advanced?

Advanced (without the driver cards) is a much better way to race IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed...advanced rules but no driver cards is THE way to play this game. My group does use the slow start/fast start rule, but with a modification. If a guy rolls a one, he does miss a turn. However, he starts his next turn in 2nd gear, so he's not also a gear behind. We just felt like the lost gear was too harsh a penalty on someone for no other reason than sheer randomness of what he rolled. Missing the first turn will normally just cost a driver one "spot" in the order, while the lost turn & lost gear will often make him drop several.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Spas
United States
Rescue
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...so he's not also a gear behind. We just felt like the lost gear was too harsh a penalty on someone for no other reason than sheer randomness of what he rolled.
I disagree.
I have found that other than a general table laugh at the 'roller of the 1', they are not that far behind and are still 'in the race'. I cannot ever seeing that it was a 'game changer'.

Great example, we had a player on Friday night (she had never played before) stall on the roll of a "1" and ended up winning the race by a bunch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greece
Thessaloniki
Macedonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flying start is only on 20, not 17-20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gillman
England
flag msg tools
mb
Corto Maltese wrote:
Flying start is only on 20, not 17-20.

This is what I thought too.
Have the rules been changed in the reprint?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McKenna
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I thought the great start meant you got the 4 spaces, ("moves his car forward 4 spaces immediately, although he is still in 1st gear"), and THEN you rolled the 1st gear die like normal, and you could upshift to 2nd like normal on your next turn. (Although, I think your "4-space great start IS your first move" sounds like a better way to play).

What I was wondering is what if someone not in the front row (Player #4+) gets a great start? "The car can change one or two lanes to avoid other cars"; still seems like they are likely to get stuck. Do they suffer WP if they can't get around? (And what if everyone in the front row stalls?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Kjær
Denmark
Malling
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
They can still change lanes on a great start, the only chance of blocking is if two cars in the same start row both get a super start, and then only if the cars in front of them are placed juust right.

On a great start, you move 4 spaces (5 if you have soft tires and want to) and do not roll the first gear die at all.
In the following turn, you can shift up to second gear.

So, a super start means you roll an imaginary '4' on the first gear die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.