Subject: Attack on Pearl Harbour on Turn 1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

Am currently trying this out solo and decided to try and emulate the IJN's success at Pearl Harbour. After sinking all but one destroyer I wondered if I had missed some important rule.

I sent off a TF of three carriers and a destroyer in the operational movement phase paying relevant costs. In the end the destroyer seemed a waste as the US subs attack at -2 versus TF in the first turn (with only a 5 or 6 hitting on 1d6) and my carriers weren't in any danger.

Japanese carriers went in the carrier TF box on the battle board, while the US ships went in the ships at anchor box. A problem for them because they now had no AA fire to protect them (base AA fire is not used at Pearl Harbour on turn one and ships at anchor cannot use their inherent AA fire).

In the air combat round the Japanese air points (who fire first in turn one as well as get a +1 to hit) easily inflicted the 4 step losses on the US airplanes without suffering any losses themselves.

This left 11 air points to attack the US ships at anchor. With a +3 to hit on every roll (air supremacy/Japanese air point on Japanese player turn/ target is a naval unit at anchor) I could only miss on a 1. I didn't get a single miss.

This was followed up by 11 damage rolls at +2 (air strike/Allied unit on Japanese player turn) and with some admittedly good rolling I was able to sink all the ships bar one destroyer which was damaged. The aircraft carriers slipped away with much shouting of Tora, Tora, Tora and no response from the USN.

I know Pearl Harbour was a success for the Japanese but this felt pretty awesome. Please bear in mind I have no complaints here I just want to check I was doing it right...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forest Green Hobbit
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is fairly tyical first turn attack on Pearl except you must have had some pretty good damage rolls to roll 8's or better consistently on the US BBs.

You should send the DD with the Pearl strike force as a TF with no DD gives +1 to a sub attack, which would allow the US sub (with no risk of ASW) to hit a Japanese CV on turn 1 by rolling a 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I missed that modifier so thanks for that. I did roll well for damage. Only one Battleship required two hits to sink it. Not expecting that kind of luck when I play it live on Sunday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forest Green Hobbit
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no, you mean you used up all your luck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Marinozzi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools

Given my usual luck, I prefer to play the short campaign game scenario
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forest Green Hobbit
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The short campaign leaves 2DD, 1CL, and 1CA in Pearl and 3BB on the turn track. I have never had a full campaign turn 1 with such poor results for Japan in Pearl.

However, the short campaign also starts with, Brunei, Rabaul, Gilberts and Wake already conquered, Singapore and Manila contested, and the British fleet in Singapore sunk. I have never done this well in these areas playing Japan on turn 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Wilson
Scotland
Glasgow
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly I have repeatedly had a dismal Pearl Harbour with 0 ships sunk and only a minimal damage.
Twice I failed to clear the US from the skies! so no air supremacy. Next time it's going to be the short campaign for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

Am currently trying this out solo and decided to try and emulate the IJN's success at Pearl Harbour. After sinking all but one destroyer I wondered if I had missed some important rule.

I sent off a TF of three carriers and a destroyer in the operational movement phase paying relevant costs. In the end the destroyer seemed a waste as the US subs attack at -2 versus TF in the first turn (with only a 5 or 6 hitting on 1d6) and my carriers weren't in any danger.

Japanese carriers went in the carrier TF box on the battle board, while the US ships went in the ships at anchor box. A problem for them because they now had no AA fire to protect them (base AA fire is not used at Pearl Harbour on turn one and ships at anchor cannot use their inherent AA fire).

In the air combat round the Japanese air points (who fire first in turn one as well as get a +1 to hit) easily inflicted the 4 step losses on the US airplanes without suffering any losses themselves.

This left 11 air points to attack the US ships at anchor. With a +3 to hit on every roll (air supremacy/Japanese air point on Japanese player turn/ target is a naval unit at anchor) I could only miss on a 1. I didn't get a single miss.

This was followed up by 11 damage rolls at +2 (air strike/Allied unit on Japanese player turn) and with some admittedly good rolling I was able to sink all the ships bar one destroyer which was damaged. The aircraft carriers slipped away with much shouting of Tora, Tora, Tora and no response from the USN.

I know Pearl Harbour was a success for the Japanese but this felt pretty awesome. Please bear in mind I have no complaints here I just want to check I was doing it right...

I believe this is wrong but I may not have been clear what I did here. It is the air points only that are reduced. During Air to Air combat no step losses are applied. They can only be lost during air strikes (that follows a bit later) which does seem a bit strange to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Sadowski
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

I believe this is wrong but I may not have been clear what I did here. It is the air points only that are reduced. During Air to Air combat no step losses are applied. They can only be lost during air strikes (that follows a bit later) which does seem a bit strange to me.

No, this is correct. Shooting down the air points only denies their use for that battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
badge
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Good wrote:
The short campaign leaves 2DD, 1CL, and 1CA in Pearl and 3BB on the turn track. I have never had a full campaign turn 1 with such poor results for Japan in Pearl.

I had the flower of the IJN wiped out at Pearl on a full campaign turn 1 one. The US carrier force decided to be there, but still - Akagi/Kaga sunk and Shokaku/Zuikaku damaged, for no American loss.

To complete Japan's misery, another Japanese fleet was heavily defeated off Singapore in the same turn. We decided to call it an Allied victory and set up the Short Campaign Game instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, as I sort of predicted, my attack with in the ftf game was far less successful. I feel your pain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.