Subject: Glyph Mountains rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
On a cold and rainy Saturday, my son had played plenty of GameCube and watched plenty of cartoons. So when I told to find something non-electronic, he decided on HeroScape. Since I was finished taking care of the laundry and other tasks, I happily agreed.

We try to use all the tiles we can to make a map. A mountain here, a spit of curving land over there, a river running through the whole landscape. We built a relatively flat battlefield, punctuated by a few spiny mountains. He placed a glyph, face-side up, on almost all the mountains, so they’ll be hard to get to. He loves to name every map he puts together, so he called this one Glyph Mountains.

We decided on 400-point armies, and this is what we drafted:

Me: DW9000, Syvarris, Krav Maga and the Samurai

My son: Marro Drones and Warriors, Ne-Gak-Sa, Raelin, Zettian Guards, Tarn Vikings

I’ve always liked the Samurai squad, but every time I’ve drafted them, they got cut down early, or were too far away from the action to make a difference. I would try this time to advance them early, and often, and see what kind of trouble they could cause. I’ve also liked DW900 – even though he’s one-dimensional, IMO. Whenever we include glyphs, I simply move him to the closest (or best) one, and he can usually defend his position almost the entire game. If we every played without glyphs, I’m not sure he’s worth the cost.

As the game began, I moved DW9000 to the Initiative glyph, and sat him there. Occasionally, he let off an explosion attack, which decimated the Tarn warriors on the second round. IMO, the Initiative glyph is probably the best overall glyph in the game. The other glyphs can give offensive or defensive advantages, of course - and that’s very helpful. But the Initiative glyph almost guarantees that you will move first on every round. I like to have that assurance that I can act, instead of react.

Through HS, I’m trying to teach my son more about overall game strategy. He’s getting better at thinking about moves ahead of time, and what he wants each hero or squad to do in order to win. He’s also learning more about being a good sport and reacting better to setbacks.
He used Raelin early to take over the Range glyph. He was able to benefit from this for a while with the Zettians and the Marro Warriors. I was probably too worried about Ne-Gak-Sa, and was concentrating almost all firepower on him. Eventually, I took him out, and could turn to the squads.

It was my Samurai who really shined, though. I used them to advance on the Drones, Zettians and Marro Warriors. Their Counter Strike alone took out probably four of those combined nine figures. Counter Strike also provided the decisive blows against Ne-Gak-Sa.

He eventually took care of all the Samurai. In the end, though, they slowed down his army long enough for my figures to get into position for effective attacks. And we both had a great time playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Owen
United States
Lisle
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report. I know I have many years until my own children are ready to play, but it makes me glad to read of other fathers playing games (and specifically this game) with their children. Thanks for the report.

Cheers,
trawlerman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.