Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: What is your biggest Wolverine? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolverine (X-Men) gets +1 attack per card drawn prior to when he is put into play.

So lay a bunch of Heroes that draw cards, then plop him down for a HUGE hit.

So what is your biggest Wolverine so far?

I had 13 attack Wolverine last night.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
Rygel wrote:
Wolverine (X-Men) gets +1 attack per card drawn prior to when he is put into play.


My Wolverine reads:
"You get +1(attack) for each extra card you've drawn this turn."

This seems to imply you get the +1 attack regardless of when Wolverine is played on your turn. Not sure it matters but that may help.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Never Knows Best wrote:
Rygel wrote:
Wolverine (X-Men) gets +1 attack per card drawn prior to when he is put into play.


My Wolverine reads:
"You get +1(attack) for each extra card you've drawn this turn."

This seems to imply you get the +1 attack regardless of when Wolverine is played on your turn. Not sure it matters but that may help.


That is the correct wording on the card.

However, your timing is incorrect.

"You get +1 attack for each extra card you have drawn."

That means past tense. Just like all the timing in the game. It triggers from things already played.

This does not equal things not yet played. The rule book is very clear about this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
Rygel wrote:
Never Knows Best wrote:
Rygel wrote:
Wolverine (X-Men) gets +1 attack per card drawn prior to when he is put into play.


My Wolverine reads:
"You get +1(attack) for each extra card you've drawn this turn."

This seems to imply you get the +1 attack regardless of when Wolverine is played on your turn. Not sure it matters but that may help.


That is the correct wording on the card.

However, your timing is incorrect.

"You get +1 attack for each extra card you have drawn."

That means past tense. Just like all the timing in the game. It triggers from things already played.

This does not equal things not yet played. The rule book is very clear about this.


Actually, past tense for the verb "draw" would have read: "for each extra card you drew this turn," (past participle being "had drawn, not have drawn)" The phrase "you have drawn" is present perfect.

The portion of the rules that discusses it singles out the phrase "Each Hero You Played This Turn," which makes sense since Hero symbols also have the requirement that a card needs to be played first but not all cards are like this, that is requiring cards to be played first (hence the Captain America example).

It's very likely it is intended to be used as you say, only for previously drawn cards, but at best it's a tad ambiguous and would need to be implied that heroes played is the same as cards drawn. Otherwise from simply reading the card, I'm not sure how you could consider cards drawn afterwards as not being "extra cards you've drawn this turn."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wikipedia wrote:
The present perfect is a grammatical combination of the present tense and the perfect aspect, used to express a past event that has present consequences.


There's a thread in the Rules forum about how to interpret this card. The designer Devin Low has posted twice in that thread.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/906701/question-about-rare-w...

My understanding is that you do not count draws that take place after you play the card, except for the "Draw three cards" that the card itself says to do, which should be counted. Any draws after that do not count.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Never Knows Best wrote:
Rygel wrote:
Never Knows Best wrote:
Rygel wrote:
Wolverine (X-Men) gets +1 attack per card drawn prior to when he is put into play.


My Wolverine reads:
"You get +1(attack) for each extra card you've drawn this turn."

This seems to imply you get the +1 attack regardless of when Wolverine is played on your turn. Not sure it matters but that may help.


That is the correct wording on the card.

However, your timing is incorrect.

"You get +1 attack for each extra card you have drawn."

That means past tense. Just like all the timing in the game. It triggers from things already played.

This does not equal things not yet played. The rule book is very clear about this.


Actually, past tense for the verb "draw" would have read: "for each extra card you drew this turn," (past participle being "had drawn, not have drawn)" The phrase "you have drawn" is present perfect.

The portion of the rules that discusses it singles out the phrase "Each Hero You Played This Turn," which makes sense since Hero symbols also have the requirement that a card needs to be played first but not all cards are like this, that is requiring cards to be played first (hence the Captain America example).

It's very likely it is intended to be used as you say, only for previously drawn cards, but at best it's a tad ambiguous and would need to be implied that heroes played is the same as cards drawn. Otherwise from simply reading the card, I'm not sure how you could consider cards drawn afterwards as not being "extra cards you've drawn this turn."



I disagree. I think it is very clear.

The single most important mechanic of the game is stacking things afterwards.

To break this rule for this one incident would go against the nature of the game.

I think you might be playing wrong.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:
The present perfect is a grammatical combination of the present tense and the perfect aspect, used to express a past event that has present consequences.


There's a thread in the Rules forum about how to interpret this card. The designer Devin Low has posted twice in that thread.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/906701/question-about-rare-w...

My understanding is that you do not count draws that take place after you play the card, except for the "Draw three cards" that the card itself says to do, which should be counted. Any draws after that do not count.


This makes sense.

Everything else in the game stacks backward. This should too.

Plus, the card does read "Draw 3 cards. Get +1.............."

So the drawing of cards happens first so the backward stack still works.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
Rygel wrote:

I think you might be playing wrong.


Probably not. As per the designer, you at the very least get to use the draw on the card. So, that wouldn't be a card played before the card, now would it? The main reason I thought Wolverine would be fishy is that otherwise he's potentially 8 cost for 0 attack. Being able to add the 3 he gives you changes the value a bit.

There are a number of examples, rulebook included, that do not require you to play cards before hand, Captain America being an example. Thor is almost the exact opposite, allowing you to spend recruit as attack after you play him. Per many of the designers feedback he seems to imply that if it requires a symbol you cannot add the values of cards afterwards but almost universally implies that you still get to use the card played (per Thor's Surge of Power example.)

A number of things in the expansion makes this further fuzzier with certain cards as well, to the point that I'm glad you have remarkable clarity amidst a steady stream of threads that seem to be curious about the timing/abilities of many cards. Kudos. However if you're playing that only cards played before Captain America cards like perfect teamwork take effect, then you're playing wrong.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Never Knows Best wrote:
Rygel wrote:

I think you might be playing wrong.


Probably not. As per the designer, you at the very least get to use the draw on the card. So, that wouldn't be a card played before the card, now would it?


That happens prior to the trigger. The cards says it that way on purpose.

It says "Draw 3 cards. Get +1 attack for each card you've drawn this turn.

So you draw before counting the stack.

Therefore, the stack is still working backward.

Everything is as it should be. No confusion here.

Plus, on the proper grammar side -

You've = you have. That is not the same as will

Drawn = past tense of draw.

Have drawn, or in the instance you've drawn, is a past tense expression.

Do not confuse that with future tense, will draw.

Nor is that total cards drawn, so to include both past and future.

It is purely past tense. Have drawn.


Furthermore -

Did you even read the post mentioned above?

The developer answers this.

It counts cards drawn previously.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy theCritic
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read this thread & I hope Aaron is taking the mickey...because it seems that everyone else gets it but him.

And, for the record, I have busted out a 30+ Attack using Wolverine WHILE playing it correctly by only counting bonuses from cards that are "in play".
1 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimmythecritic wrote:
I just read this thread & I hope Aaron is taking the mickey...because it seems that everyone else gets it but him.

And, for the record, I have busted out a 30+ Attack using Wolverine WHILE playing it correctly by only counting bonuses from cards that are "in play".


WOW! +30

I have some work to do.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy theCritic
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rygel wrote:
Jimmythecritic wrote:
I just read this thread & I hope Aaron is taking the mickey...because it seems that everyone else gets it but him.

And, for the record, I have busted out a 30+ Attack using Wolverine WHILE playing it correctly by only counting bonuses from cards that are "in play".


WOW! +30

I have some work to do.


FYI This wasn't in a solo game...if that helps you!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what the final total was but my best was with a Wolverine/Rogue combo. I played a bunch of Wolverine cards to start, then played his rare 8 point "draw 3 and +1 per card drawn" for about an 8 point boost, followed but a couple of Wolverine and then a couple of Rogue's copy cards that each copied the 8 point rare. So the Wolverine rare was worth about 8, the first Rogue copy was worth around 12 (because I had drawn another card plus the three the copy let me draw) and then the second Rogue was worth about 15. Altogether it was massive, we didn't bother counting the final total because if I remember right at that point I had drawn literally every card in my deck and had enough attack to kill the mastermind at least twice (actually probably three times but he only had two tactics left) and win the game.

Easily the best combo of cards I've played in a single draw.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think comboing base-Wolverine with X-Force Wolverine rare first could net you some naughty totals. X-Force rare has you draw a card for every extra card drawn this turn, although at some point I think you'll probably run out of cards in your deck, especially since No Mercy Wolverine is great for thinning out your deck.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.