Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

War of the Suns» Forums » Rules

Subject: Attacking and ESL rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Björn Engqvist
Sweden
Goteborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The concept of Effective Stacking Limit is really intriguing. However, it becomes difficult when units in the same hex are part of different attacks.

Example: Two Japanese divisions of AS 13 and 5 SP and AS 8 and 3 SP are stacked in a clear hex. They attack different hexes. How is their proportionate strength calculated?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Delirium_EU wrote:
The concept of Effective Stacking Limit is really intriguing. However, it becomes difficult when units in the same hex are part of different attacks.

Example: Two Japanese divisions of AS 13 and 5 SP and AS 8 and 3 SP are stacked in a clear hex. They attack different hexes. How is their proportionate strength calculated?


I would say they are each reduced proportionately. (13*6)/8 = 9.75, and (8*6)/8 = 6
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Engqvist
Sweden
Goteborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
That sounds reasonable.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
berto
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in world war 2,for soviet and german infantry division,their attack width is about 4-10km...in Wots,each hex is 55km,so the hexside is about 30km.so that's enough for two division to deploy at such width(and of course for different front).so I think ESL simulate cooperation problem between different formations.

if the two divisions attack different object separately,there's no such problem.so I think ESL should not take effect

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard To
Hong Kong
Wanchai
n/a
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wendell is right.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
berto
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what exactly ESL simulate for?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard To
Hong Kong
Wanchai
n/a
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"ESL is the maximum number of SP that can stack together in a hex without affecting movement and combat."

Basically it allows over-concentration of force in a hex, which adversely affects their movement and combat. A historical example would be the Battle of Shanghai-Nanking where KMT has a very high density of units in a small area.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
berto
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
according my material(from US and soviet doctrine) ,for division level troops,their deployment length is about 20-30Km,width is about 4-10Km,so the scale of wots(length of a hex=55km;width=33km ) is enough for two division at same front(hexside),of course of different front(hexside).so what kind data do you refer to?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Engqvist
Sweden
Goteborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Well, there are corps, divisions, brigades, regiments in the game, all quantified in a number of SP. There can never be more than 9 SP in a clear hex, but only 6 of them can function effectively. I have no problem with that concept (but I do have a problem remembering that stacking limits are lowered in non-clear terrain).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard To
Hong Kong
Wanchai
n/a
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Each SP is about 5000 people. An ESL of 6SP PER SIDE in an open terrain seems to fit well with your "material".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kreder
United States
Nuevo
California
flag msg tools
Founder of the The Wargame Bootcamp (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/962)
badge
My hero Grumpy Bonaparte
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Delirium_EU wrote:
The concept of Effective Stacking Limit is really intriguing. However, it becomes difficult when units in the same hex are part of different attacks.

Example: Two Japanese divisions of AS 13 and 5 SP and AS 8 and 3 SP are stacked in a clear hex. They attack different hexes. How is their proportionate strength calculated?


I would say they are each reduced proportionately. (13*6)/8 = 9.75, and (8*6)/8 = 6


OK I am trying to understand this, what is the formula? The 13 & 8 is the AS the two 6's is the ESL but where did the 8's divided by come from? blush
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmond
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
5 SP + 3 SP

Max allowed in attack: 6 SP
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kreder
United States
Nuevo
California
flag msg tools
Founder of the The Wargame Bootcamp (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/962)
badge
My hero Grumpy Bonaparte
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rulx wrote:
5 SP + 3 SP

Max allowed in attack: 6 SP


Thank you
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.