Subject: Do any of you see colors when you hear music? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's called synesthesia, and apparently it's a real thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia

I really kind of wish I had that.

Other people associate colors with other things, such as a day of the week, for instance. So if you ask, "what color is Wednesday?", they will say "brown", or "green", or whatever. But the thing is, they believe it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the earth is flat and can't understand why everyone doesn't agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
they believe it.

No, they experience it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
not since i stopped taking drugs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got the thing where I can pick out a tune "by ear" on a piano, or a guitar, or even instruments I've never played before. My fingers just kind of "know where to go". I have a special feel for intervals between the notes. An example:

I was helping my wife-to-be move in with me, and I spotted a small box with a handle amongst her stuff. "What's that?" I asked.
"A clarinet."
"Oh! You play?"
"I played in the high school band, but I haven't played it in 20 years I'll bet."
"Cool!! Show me!!"

So she puts all of the sections together, sucks on a reed for a while and attaches that to the mouthpiece. She does a simple scale and barely lets out a false squeak. Impressive.
"Lemme try!"
I get some pointers, and have quite a few false starts before I get a proper tone. Then I play the entire song "Twinkle twinkle little star", without a mistake.

Like I said, my fingers just went to the right holes.
It blew her mind. And she struggled to do the same thing afterward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
Drew1365 wrote:
I have the one where periods of time have a shape.

Weeks are paper loops with the weekdays on the inside and the weekends on the outside.

Years are similar, but the most of the year is on the outside with maybe just the last week of December and the first week of January on the verge of being inside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fire Lord
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird. I thought I was the only one that visualized time as paper loops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
goo Only when I solo. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
mb
Drew1365 wrote:

Weeks are paper loops with the weekdays on the inside and the weekends on the outside.

Years are similar, but the most of the year is on the outside with maybe just the last week of December and the first week of January on the verge of being inside.

2 is yellow. 3 is reddish orange. 4 is blue. 5 is green. 6 is orange. 7 is purple.

These things shift a bit. I think 5 was red a couple years ago.

Some music goes left to right, some goes right to left.

I have this to. There is debate as to whether this is actually synesthesia. I think for me, I just have an innate understanding of objects in space and spacial relations and somewhere along the line I decided to perceive time using that model. The shapes or ribbons I see are not so different than perceiving time with a calendar or clock face.

Where synesthesia is two normally unique parts of the brain somehow firing together, time/space perception seems more like a self-constructed model to help grasp an abstract concept.

Maybe, I dunno.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eastside Games with Friends
United States
Highland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
As Lisa Simpson said after drinking the hallucinogenic water at Duff Gardens, "I can see the music!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
It's called synesthesia, and apparently it's a real thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia

I really kind of wish I had that.

Other people associate colors with other things, such as a day of the week, for instance. So if you ask, "what color is Wednesday?", they will say "brown", or "green", or whatever. But the thing is, they believe it.

Acctually words with music and some other intresting stuff.

edit:

It also can be an indicator of Autism-Spectrum stuff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never experienced this, but I remember first learning of this phenomenom when Miles Davis used to describe seeing colors in the music he played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
Then I play the entire song "Twinkle twinkle little star", without a mistake.

People like you make me sick. I have very little musical talent and would love to have this ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Gjerde
Norway
Trondheim
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
http://landnam.old.no
badge
http://old.no
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

Are they Möbius strips, so that time moves continuously along the surface and repeat after two rounds?

Quote:
2 is yellow. 3 is reddish orange. 4 is blue. 5 is green. 6 is orange. 7 is purple.

These things shift a bit. I think 5 was red a couple years ago.

I hope you never took up assembling discrete component electronic circuits as a hobby – it must have been a pain to internalise a different mapping between numbers and colours for resistor markings. After doing this for years, the mapping becomes second nature, but never to the degree that numbers ever induces the sensation of colour.

Quote:
Some music goes left to right, some goes right to left.

That's normal. It's called "stereo" whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
MABBY wrote:
Then I play the entire song "Twinkle twinkle little star", without a mistake.

People like you make me sick. I have very little musical talent and would love to have this ability.

I have found after playing guitar for a year and a half. Which is the first musical instrument I have ever tried to learn. This would be a handy skill to have. I would like to be able to listen to a song, and "figure out" how to play it.

My guitar teacher can do this. I need some easy songs to practice on. Single note melodies and stuff I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Chen
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
This looks tasty...
badge
Yuck!
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2013/07/30/sense...

Rare, but synesthesia can be acquired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
I always see colors when I have my eyes open, regardless of whether I hear music or not. Is there a name for that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan a lot of events, and when putting a timetable together I see it as a series of shapes, sometimes simple, sometimes complex. I know what shapes fit together well and which ones should be kept apart. I also have an idea of what the overall shape of the event is before I start, then fit things into that.

And it's not that I've viewing a graph of the energy or interaction levels of a particular session. Input from a speaker is a square wave, relaxed discussion is shallow curves, a plenary is ribbons gathering together. Some make a kind of conceptual sense, others don't seem to have any meaning, just a direct association.

The one I really wish I had is the ability to see numbers as a physical object or as a particular point in space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nivet
Ireland
Cork City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see colours when I see figures; for example, 9 is orange, 5 is dark blue, 2 is bright pink, etc.

I also see colours when I listen to music. Not always. It depends on the music, it depends on my mood.

EDIT: when I was younger, around 10 years old, at night with my eyes closed, shapes would materialize and I'd "feel" textures, like fur, or rough fabric, depending on the shape. I'd call it a "morpho-sensory experience". That hasn't happened in a while now, shame, it was fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see colors when I listen to music, but I see hot ladies. I am not sure if it is my imagination or not...but I guess that depends if I am at home or the strip joint that night.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I had a student last year in class who had real synesthesia, which happened as the result of severe case of mold exposure which also caused her intermittent anterograde amnesia (an inability to create new memories.) Her specific version of it was a blurring of COLOR and TASTE, so she would see some colors as bitter, some as sweet, some as sour, and some as vomity even.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.