Android: Netrunner» Forums » Rules

Subject: Pairings in Swiss format rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorge G.
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe this is not entirely an ANR question, but... I'm making a spreadsheet to help TOs with swiss format calculations; in fact I have even uploaded a broken version to BGG that six unfortunate souls have downloaded before I realized my mistake.

Anyway, I'm thinking of the sorting procedure in between rounds; that is, before the final scores are set and the tiebreaking mechanisms outlined in the new rules take place. Like, from round 1 to 2, and 2 to 3. The rules just say "swiss format", which means everyone with the same Prestige gets grouped together and, if possible, play someone with the same score (avoiding pairings that already happened).

The question is: ¿do you use the same tiebreakers as in the end (PPs then Weakest Side then Strength of Schedule), or do you randomize (PPs then random assignment)? ¿Or something else?

As soon as this is solved, I'll upload and share the file with everyone, of course...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Fleming
United States
Orange
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know the answer to your question, but you might be able to figure it out through the tournament bracketing site http://challonge.com/. You could set up a swiss style tournament there and see how it handles the case you're having trouble with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobin Lopes
United States
Thornton
Dark Side of the Moon
flag msg tools
Serving the Emperor since 1971
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorsh wrote:
Maybe this is not entirely an ANR question, but... I'm making a spreadsheet to help TOs with swiss format calculations; in fact I have even uploaded a broken version to BGG that six unfortunate souls have downloaded before I realized my mistake.

Anyway, I'm thinking of the sorting procedure in between rounds; that is, before the final scores are set and the tiebreaking mechanisms outlined in the new rules take place. Like, from round 1 to 2, and 2 to 3. The rules just say "swiss format", which means everyone with the same Prestige gets grouped together and, if possible, play someone with the same score (avoiding pairings that already happened).

The question is: ¿do you use the same tiebreakers as in the end (PPs then Weakest Side then Strength of Schedule), or do you randomize (PPs then random assignment)? ¿Or something else?

As soon as this is solved, I'll upload and share the file with everyone, of course...

The tiebreakers are used through the entire tourney. PP, Weak Side Wins (WSW), and SoS. If people are still tied after that then randomization is acceptable for pairing creation. I, for one, hope that enough Swiss rounds will take place in any given tournament to prevent randomization from being used to either declare a winner or determine the difference between making the Elimination rounds or not. This is more of a possibility because of the lower possible variance in scores and tiebreakers from the previous, and flawed, method.

You might look at my worksheet for clues as to how I did it.
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/89707/android-netrunner-to...

Good luck.

-tpl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge G.
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh. I didn't know someone else was working on the same project... I'll see if yours can improve mine or viceversa; or simply use yours if it's adequate to our tournament.

Thanks!

EDIT: Oh my... That's some work you got there. I think I'll keep developing mine as a simpler, lightweight alternative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobin Lopes
United States
Thornton
Dark Side of the Moon
flag msg tools
Serving the Emperor since 1971
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorsh wrote:
Oh. I didn't know someone else was working on the same project... I'll see if yours can improve mine or viceversa; or simply use yours if it's adequate to our tournament.

Thanks!

EDIT: Oh my... That's some work you got there. I think I'll keep developing mine as a simpler, lightweight alternative.

Yes, it can do a lot...but doesn't use Macros so it's all hardcoded and a still a bit fragile.

-tpl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge G.
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just finished mine. I'll upload it now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.