United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
I say this without any trace of sarcasm: Do you even like this game? If you just like the idea of 'Mechs and the general BattleTech story/background, you could play MechWarrior: Dark Age (clicky-tech) or the new Alpha Strike game. It just seems like you have so many issues with the core game that there is little use in using that as a starting point for whatever it is that you want to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Lucky wrote:
I say this without any trace of sarcasm: Do you even like this game? If you just like the idea of 'Mechs and the general BattleTech story/background, you could play MechWarrior: Dark Age (clicky-tech) or the new Alpha Strike game. It just seems like you have so many issues with the core game that there is little use in using that as a starting point for whatever it is that you want to play.

I was wondering how to say the same thing....

You said it with less annoyance and vitriol than I might have.

EDIT: to add some substance to the thread...

It really seems like your changes scream out that you don't like the base game. There are games out there that do the things your changes do already.

Your changes seem confusing in this light. Why not just play these other games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Bugorski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Four_Winds wrote:
Four_Winds wrote:

[Initiative]

Card based - incredible idea port. Action during turns takes as long as it takes, without a fixed time scale.

And also here it would seem on this BGG sub-forum.

This is the only variant I like for the reasons that it makes risk management hard. Sealed moves would be another option. Fog of war is always a tricky aspect to handle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
Four_Winds wrote:
And as I commented in another thread; "Unfortunately, it's almost impossible anywhere online or IRL to have a frank, low-key discussion about Battletech and it's rules concepts, which IMHO holds back a lot of people from getting into the game/setting."

This was also something I found with my short time on the Heavy Gear Blitz! forums; the active posters are so passionate, with varying degrees of hidebound-ness and fanbois-ness, that they often end up driving off more casual players or gamers interested in checking out the system.

This isn't about passion, its about practicality. I admit the system isn't perfect, but there are few enough BattleTech players that if I arrange a game with one of them, I want to be on the same page about rules. One or two house rules here and there are fine, but you've put so many changes into this that what you've created isn't really BattleTech any more. If you've got a stable group and that's what they all want to play, that's one thing, but if you are looking to play outside a small group of your buddies, you are probably better off exploring one of the other, more streamlined games in the BattleTech universe.

I would also question how your original post was supposed to lead into a frank, low-key discussion. To me, low-key is "How do people feel about this idea I have for clustering hit locations?" Once you give me four pages of text describing rules alterations, that goes well beyond low-key. The way you've presented all this information, it is hard to have a coherent, discrete discussion on any one aspect of it and it is instead much easier to consider it as a whole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I don't see what the issue is here. I never got the impression that anyone's house rules or variants affect the way I play amongst my friends or family. Battletech is but one of many a flawed game. The powers that be have attempted to fix flaws as well as appeal to old and new players alike, to mixed success. No surprise given that today's players expect something different from the game than many players back in the day did. I grew up on CRT hex and counter games, so I have no problem with the game at its core. I think the tech creep has gotten out of control, but I understand why. Thing is, Battletech allows for such a ridiculous amount of customization, that I'm free to play in whatever era and tech-base I want. And so I shall. Life's too short to waste arguing the issue. Play what makes you happy and don't play games that don't, or in this case, change the game into something a bit more palatable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, but when there are so many -and such sweeping- changes, it seems like it would be best to look for another game and maybe tack on the BT lore, if that's what you like about it.

I'm sure everyone has house ruled, but it's usually stuff that doesn't exist, or do very well, like campaign rules. Some small stuff like ranges for one or two weapons or ammo capacity for one weapon or something like that.

But the OP stacks so much of this on top of itself, it really seems like it's the game as a whole he has a problem with and he'd be better off playing a different game.

And, agreed, the OP doesn't open up a low key talk.

Finally, yes, it has no bearing on how we play our games, but it is nice to have the conversations. This is a poor opening gambit to have that conversation. Thus the pressing back on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Bugorski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried the QuickStrike rules? You might be interested in the new Alpha Strike book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hackwood
United States
Near the Great Lakes
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AngryStarAnarchy wrote:
Have you tried the QuickStrike rules? You might be interested in the new Alpha Strike book.

Thank you for the suggestion, but no, I had looked into the rules and I'm not interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.