Sweden
Nacka
Stockholms län
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!
Is this procedure for the Sale correct:
- king returns merchant(s) to Merchant Pool
- king receives from bank number_of_merchants_returned * nation_prestige Drachmas
- prestige of nation is decreased one step

Or are the second and third steps inverted?

Because, if the procedure is as written, and Sell-Buy-Sell is allowed, then a king can (in his turn) sell a merchant and buy back the same merchant at a lower price.
Yes, this decreases the nation prestige, but it can be a strategy for your support nation (which you bleed dry). On the other hand, it doesn't make sense because you won't be able to decrease the price you paid for the 3 merchants you need to keep as king.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you really buy a merchant in a nation you have sold in the current turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fire Lord
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
Can you really buy a merchant in a nation you have sold in the current turn?

I just checked. Unlike more typical 18xx games, it appears to be allowed in Poseidon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Altaira wrote:
Hi!
Is this procedure for the Sale correct:
- king returns merchant(s) to Merchant Pool
- king receives from bank number_of_merchants_returned * nation_prestige Drachmas
- prestige of nation is decreased one step

Or are the second and third steps inverted?

Because, if the procedure is as written, and Sell-Buy-Sell is allowed, then a king can (in his turn) sell a merchant and buy back the same merchant at a lower price.
Yes, this decreases the nation prestige, but it can be a strategy for your support nation (which you bleed dry). On the other hand, it doesn't make sense because you won't be able to decrease the price you paid for the 3 merchants you need to keep as king.

As you say, by selling merchants in a company you are the king of, you devalue your other merchants. I can't see how this is a winning strategy. A typical 18xx rule, that isn't in poseiden, is that you can't buy back shares in a company you sold that round. I see no reason why not to adopt this rule here. Their is also a FAQ about this, the response is:

es. This is the main difference to the standard 18xx rules. If a player tries to stall the game by creating an infinite loop – buying and selling the same merchant again and again – it is time for house rules.

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.