BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Would I like Dominion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Beyl
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I so far have played games for 2-8 people, Arkham Horror is the latest to my collection and we could play 2 investigators to add more of a challenge, and every time I went to the game store I would see Dominion and the expansions and it looks interesting. Not really as...agressive or battle heavy then like Thunderstone but it still looks like a fun game.
People also call it a 'Solitaire' game and I do not fully understand that term so can someone also explain that?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure whether you'd like Dominion or not. It is not a thematic game, as the theme of building medieval kingdoms is thinly pasted on. People refer to it as 'solitaire' because players are building their own decks out of cards from a central supply, and there are no direct player interactions (other than forcing other players to gain a curse card, discard cards from their hand, etc.) If you would enjoy Thunderstone without attacking monsters, just building your deck, you will probably like Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think people are using "solitaire" in the sense that in many cases, players are building their own kingdoms (decks) without interacting with one another. So, in a sense, each player is playing a solitaire game in parallel with each other.

There are some setups in Dominion, such as the "Interaction" one, where a number of Attack cards are available so that players interact more strongly with each other (e.g., stealing coins, forcing discards, causing curses, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beyl
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
If I were to enjoy Dominion, is there any order to play the expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just get Puzzle Strike (Third Edition) and enjoy dominion with NO shuffling and direct player interaction. Plus, you can ignore the 1 expansion and have a ton of replayability

(PS I hate the theme too)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salim Khoury
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
Give Grace, Always.
badge
Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
Just get Puzzle Strike (Third Edition) and enjoy dominion with NO shuffling and direct player interaction. Plus, you can ignore the 1 expansion and have a ton of replayability

(PS I hate the theme too)

Puzzle Strike and be done. It's infinitely better in every way...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meredith
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Everybody I know needs what I'm selling.
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you have Thunderstone, so I'm a little worried Dominion wouldn't add much variety to your gaming collection. So here's some Dominion pros and cons given your circumstance:

Pros:
Simple to learn
Simple to teach
Great for non-confrontational gamers (like my girlfriend, who loves it)
Can still be quite interactive with the right setup
Name recognition for non-gamer friends to get them to play with you
Theme that won't scare people away
Quite expandable (try Prosperity first, my opinion)

Cons:
You already have a very similar game
Theme is pasted on
Not the highest quality of cards (imho) especially for this kind of game...
Shuffle. shuffle. shuffle. shuffle.shuffle.shuffle.shuffle (repeat ad infinitum)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meredith
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Everybody I know needs what I'm selling.
mbmbmbmbmb
Xannidel wrote:
I so far have played games for 2-8 people, Arkham Horror is the latest to my collection and we could play 2 investigators to add more of a challenge

If you're looking for more of a challenge in Arkham Horror, may I also humbly suggest you consider the Dunwich Horror expansion? It filled in what was lacking in my early Arkham Horror experience (injury and madness cards, more areas to control/lose control, more diversity in the happenings, gate bursts, terrible monsters, etc.) and single-handedly raised the game to a solid second in my list of favorite games. Just another thing to consider assuming you haven't already...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion is much better than Puzzle Strike. Dominion's card stock is excellent. I have purchased every card ever available and have not had even 1 miss cut card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beyl
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Hmm I do not think I have the room for an expansion board
But I have looked at those expansions and they all do look interesting.

Also thank you all for your informative suggestions on my decision to play Dominion and I will give it a try. I mean I played Rune Ages and that game did not really do a whole lot for me, so we will see =]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Dominion to Puzzle Strike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gone back and forth on Dominion in terms of rating it. Right now it is on the lower side as I think it really does start to feel the need to add expansions to flesh out the game more. Dominion can be played online. Note, the initial playing of it is really more of a taste of the game. I honestly don't mind the lack of so called theme. Your dominion is your deck. That's the theme. My issues are the base game is a little too much about getting gold and provinces and yes, you will shuffle a lot. A lot. It is partly why I prefer the online implementation of it versus the physical version.

http://play.goko.com/Dominion/gameClient.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1)
If you played thunderstone, expect Dominion to be:
50% or more shorter
with no theme whatsoever
with more decisions to make before game and then autopilot
with less obvious connections between the cards (me I hate it, some like exactly that you have to puzzle your way through card combinations).

In short: less theme, more thinky.
As much interaction as in Thunderstone (none).
A problem with Dominion is also if you get really good at it and your friends don't.

2)
Solitaire or MPS (multiplayer solitaire) is a derogatory term for low interaction games (basically everyone's doing their own thing, you have no ability to block other people and so on).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only bad Dominion players or non-dominion players called it multi-player solitaire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beyl
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
matthean wrote:
I've gone back and forth on Dominion in terms of rating it. Right now it is on the lower side as I think it really does start to feel the need to add expansions to flesh out the game more. Dominion can be played online. Note, the initial playing of it is really more of a taste of the game. I honestly don't mind the lack of so called theme. Your dominion is your deck. That's the theme. My issues are the base game is a little too much about getting gold and provinces and yes, you will shuffle a lot. A lot. It is partly why I prefer the online implementation of it versus the physical version.

http://play.goko.com/Dominion/gameClient.html

That link was an awesome idea, best way to see if I would like a game is to play a digital version for free. After playing some tutorials I am still excited about playing the game. I will finish the tutorial and actually play some games to see if I really will enjoy it.
Thanks for the link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
(I did not warm up to Dominion, but I found my deckbuilding-included game in Core Worlds where you also manage actions and energy, and the theme blends perfectly with the game mechanisms.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beyl
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I will check out Core Worlds as well. Thanks for the tip =]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
Dominion is much better than Puzzle Strike. Dominion's card stock is excellent. I have purchased every card ever available and have not had even 1 miss cut card.

Which edition of PS did you play? I think that's an enormous factor into your rating. Third edition comes with rebalanced chips (going all purples is not quite as powerful as it once was), player screens (So you don't have to hold chips in your hand), and player mats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it when it first came out. I didn't so much mind the components as I didn't like the theme. To me no huge theme is better than an uninteresting one.

On another note, Eminent Domain is a really unique deck builder. Plus Smash Up is a deck game that more scratches a CCG itch than a deck building one. Still, Dominion is the top option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I hear that, the theme put me off for a long while. Still, when I finally got past it and watched a vid on how it's played, I immediately snatched it up (I was considering Dominion prior).

OP, here's the vid that sold me, maybe it will help your decision

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og01q5_zbD8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
I hear that, the theme put me off for a long while. Still, when I finally got past it and watched a vid on how it's played, I immediately snatched it up (I was considering Dominion prior).

OP, here's the vid that sold me, maybe it will help your decision

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og01q5_zbD8

I will take a look but since I already played it and know how it is played and don't like the theme, I can;t imagine it will change my mind. I think I will even like the new AEG deck builder Trains more than Puzzle Strike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Whoops, I posted the video for the OP! Not trying to change your mind, you've already been there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oddly enough Rodney's video is what settled the idea that Puzzle Strike wasn't for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beyl
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I will check the video out, thank you all for these suggestions but I am going to be broke soon at this rate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilly Berto
United States
flag msg tools
People say Dominion is like solitaire, but in my group we ask each other for advice. We are not so competitive that we won't guve honest advice to the other player about what to buy, etc. It can be more interactive wiht the expansions as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.