Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jeffrey james
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We added 6 new treasure cards (One each to be randomly put into each treasure pile).
The new objects are;
- Sorcery Slippers (+1 to movement)
- Hyper Potion (1 in 6 chance of a second turn, each turn)
- Enchanted Spectacles (treasure vision from outside of room)
- Magic Shield (+1 to all monster attack rolls)
- Healing Elixir (1 in 3 chance to heal self - similar to opening a secret door)
- Crossbow (50/50 chance to hit monster from outside of room before entering: If hit, monster strength is -1)

Due to the extra treasures, the chambers with "treasure" in the name will yield a treasure once the third monster has been defeated.

If an ambush is unsuccessful, the hero does not have to give up a treasure. The ambushed hero would have to attempt an ambush his/herself.

Wizard gets 7 spell cards.

Advanced game combat table - if a monster rolls a 6, the hero is not wounded but loses a turn instead.

We also allow the use of a 12 sided die or A 4d & 8d along with the standard two 6d. This enables some very minor statistical strategy.

These small changes have made this fun game, great fun!

I'd love to hear comments back from other dungeon crawl game fans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Overton
United States
North Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice variants I will have to give them a try later.
Just stumbled upon this game earlier tonight,
actually had forgotten about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Estes
United States
La Vergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good stuff, Jeffrey. The next time Dungeon hits the table, I'll give your additions a whirl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Jones
United States
Warrior
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those sound good. thanks for posting them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P argle
msg tools
Neat! I'll combine your treasure room idea with my "monsters only appear sometimes" in a chamber.

Question: Does your magic shield make characters immune to death? Or is there a cutoff-point? If I used it, I would apply the bonus to rolls of 4 or higher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeffrey james
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The magic shield would not make characters immune to death. It simply make it more unlkely that the character will "lose" a battle round and become wounded and then dead (if he/she is already wounded).

- I'm interested in your "monsters only appear sometimes" variant. How do you work that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P argle
msg tools
The 'monsters only sometimes appear in chambers' rule would be:
if you enter a level 2 chamber, they always appear
if you enter a level 3 chamber, roll 1d6. Chamber is empty if you roll a 1
if you enter a level 4 chamber, roll 1d6. Chamber empty on 1 or 2
level 5 chamber, empty on a 1,2 or 3
level 6 chamber, empty on 1,2,3,4

Might seem odd to make the tougher chambers safer, but then I figure there are a lot more rats and snakes than there are dragons and beholders. Plus, I wanted a speed bump at the easier levels. The harder chambers are easier to get through, but there's still that 'what if i run into a behemoth that can never be hit?' factor, so it works pretty well! This also results in , 'You wanna ambush me? Your wounded char will have to come through here first!'

My question about your magic shield was about rolling 2's and 3's. If monsters get +1, and you roll a 2, does the character die? Or is it treated as a 3?

Good to hear from you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Richardson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any "cooperative" game-play variant out there for this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flashinglogo wrote:

Yes. Play until everyone gets the GP to win and all exit by the staircase. If 2 Heroes are killed or if there are ever X+2 monsters revealed then the Heroes lose ( X = the number of Heroes that entered the dungeon )

You can make it harder by adding a roving level 6 monster that remains unknown until it attacks a Hero. It starts in the farthest level 6 chamber. It moves 5 spaces towards the closest Hero after everyone has had a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clarke
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flashinglogo wrote:

Another one would be "Dragon Hunt", where the team kills a dragon. Or whatever. There would be some kind of teleport spell to save time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Evangelista
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just played this for the first time this past weekend as it hit the table while my cousin was in town (the game originally came from him too so it felt appropriate).

After playing a 'basic' game we moved on to the advanced game, both playing wizards and dying a few times (me more than him). In doing so we came up with a neat variant as well -- also like the list above starting post as it seems to add some more fun mixes to the game.

While we haven't playtested this yet, it may add some more variety for other adventurers:

-Parties:
Each player gets 2 adventurers. Total gold needed is the combination of both heroes in the players arsenal. Players can use their adventurers together at the same time or in tandem. (random assigned order between the 4 characters or each player gets to use his 2 at once then the other player goes)
An interesting example would be a Paladin and a Wizard -- Paladin for the healing, Wizard for the spells -- run towards levels 5 and 6 to gain the restock bonuses from those chambers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.