Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Fournier
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Beer Card!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the new edition of Pandemic when it came out a few months ago. I just got the ‘On the Brink’ expansion, which is quite interesting. The game is a big hit in our home and it’s one of the only 2 games I rated a 10.

However, I think there’s a problem with the new cards (infection : mutation cards ; player cards : new events and new epidemics) I got from the expansion.

See for yourself : here are the card backs of the infection cards and the player cards. My wife and I think the new cards are different... Can you spot which cards come from the original game and which come from the expansion?

My wife thinks it’s a big deal, I just find it a bit annoying and disappointing (especially given all the other errors and problems discovered in the game and the expansion).

So, are we the only ones to see the difference? If not, are we the only ones with different card backs? Do you think it’s a big deal or do we need to get a life?

We still really enjoy the game, it’s just less fun to know what’s coming...

By the way, the new cards from the expansion are the 3rd and 6th from the left in both rows. Pretty obvious (imho) for the infection cards, maybe less so for the player cards on the picture, but it's quite easy to see in person...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Falzir"]

I have both on order now. I'm sure I will see it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra Logan
Australia
Bardon
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, my copy is the same.
But in contrast to my first edition copy of the base game and expansion, at least the cards are made of the same card stock. Seeing as there is only going to be one card back visible at a time, I probably won't find this as much as a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bishop
United Kingdom
Redcar
Cleveland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I hadn't noticed - and still probably won't the next time I play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools

devildevildevildevildevildevil

Well, you could always sleeve all your cards so you can't see the back (or fit them in the new box). shake

I wouldn't ask for replacements -- it costs $18 to ship a pack of cards for Z-Man. laugh

devildevildevildevildevildevil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tankbot
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow. Not cool. First there was misprinted boards, misprinted petri dish stickers, and now inconsistent colors in the card backs. We just need something misprinted in upcoming In The Lab for the hat trick! Do you know if it is just the card backs which has the change ink quality or also the card front's as well? I'm sorry for all of you early adopters who bought the 2013 edition's first printing. I think I'll hold off from purchasing Pandemic until they get some semblance of quality control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squiz
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My card backs are the same. To be honest, it makes no difference to the game overall. I have the misprinted red disease petri dish too and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Certainly wouldn't stop me buying the game, no point missing out for the sake of these tiny issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stéphane B

Gatineau
Québec
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I would have noticed (at least not right away), but now that it was pointed out, then i do see the problem with it.

And now every time i play i'll have consciously ensure i don't notice if it's a "lighter" card on the top of the deck or not.

It is a bit disappointing. It shows a lack of attention to details and verification. Reading up on how many people seem to not be able to get answer from the company lately (or even acknowledgement of reception of the emails) is too bad.

It's a great game, but you have to admit that 3 mistakes on a game and the expansion is a bit much, even if they are small mistakes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squiz
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Microsillon wrote:

And now every time i play i'll have consciously ensure i don't notice if it's a "lighter" card on the top of the deck or not.

Will you gain an advantage from seeing that the card at the top of the deck is lighter or darker though? Cant see how it would make a difference.

The only place i can see this being a problem is if you assign rolls by fanning the cards out and allowing a player to pick his/her own role randomly. With differences on the card backs you can tell if you are getting an old role or a new role. Thats it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stéphane B

Gatineau
Québec
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
squiz wrote:

Will you gain an advantage from seeing that the card at the top of the deck is lighter or darker though? Cant see how it would make a difference.

Depends on what variations of the game you play with.

Sometimes we play only with the mutation, sometimes with the virulent strain, and sometimes with both, and sometimes even with none (except adding the event cards).

If you play only with Mutation for example, and you see a different colored card on top of the infection deck, you know what it is.

If you play with only the new event cards added, and you see the different colored card on top, then you know what it is.

It's not like it's a HUGE deal, but it's something that just shouldn't happen when you spend 35$ for an expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg
United States
New Caprica
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the replacement decks from Z-Man, and the coating on the On the Brink cards is lacking, so they're rougher to the touch than the base cards they also sent me (which are in French, but that's a different problem!) and the cards in my In the Lab expansion. So it's pretty easy to tell when you've got an On the Brink card in your hand.

-HM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Breeden
United States
Cookeville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played our first game with our brand new On the Brink expansion tonight and I immediately noticed that the On the Brink card backs appear lighter than the base game. We played with new events and virulent strain epidemic cards and even though only one card back is visible at a time in the player deck draw pile, I could always tell if the top card was from On the Brink or the base game. Removed some of the suspense and tension. Disappointing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.