Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just some random thoughts, which may or may not be valid, as I don't have the map in front of me.

In two places a nation of the Shadow borders a nation of the free peoples, namely Orthanc(and Gap of Rohan)/the Fords and East Rhun/The Iron Hills. East Rhun is a bit odd, I don't really think the Dwarves bordered the lands of the Easterlings. But whatever...
The Free Peoples border the lands of other Free peoples continuously. The Shadow never does.

The sea plays almost no part, which reflects the story. Cirdan's Ships and Corsairs are really the only use. If the elves off the ships land in West Harondor, they can take Umbar, and Far Harad, in 2 movement orders (assuming the Southrons have evacuated the area and the Shadow for some reason can't muster). 3 VPs, if Near Harad is not worth anything. Nasty anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two random comments.

Cirdan's Ships can only land where there is already a FP army.

North Dunland is next to Moria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good catch on Cirdan's Ships, I missed that entirely (fortunately not in a game with an opponent... West Harondor is still nice if you can get it

North Dunland is next to Moria, true. Actually the North Dunland troops may be best used with Moria vs Rivendell/the North, as they are quite some way from Orthanc. (Shadow moves 3 solves this one though).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I have a goal of playing Cirdan's Ships to reinforce my flagging FP military victory attempt by reinforcing the besieged FP Umbar garrison.

Believe me, when I pull this off, you'll be hearing about it here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost ONLY play Cirdan's Ships to reinforce attackers headed to/in Umbar, since we hardly ever see Dol Amroth under siege and giving away 2 Elves often cripples your defenses elsewhere, since it's not uncommon to see 3 Elven strongholds under attack in a game for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can Cirdan's Ship land in an area under Siege by Sauron? Would be a breach of normal practise.

Anyway, the only time I can really see Umbar as being empty would be after Corsairs, unless they are marching the long way round the coast of Gondor, in which case it is going to be difficult for the FP to reach Umbar.

Weakening the Elves, yes I guess so...on the other hand if the 3 strongholds are already under siege you can't muster there anyway.

As a side note, the Shadow card which returns elves to the West is pretty uselesss, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Russell
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
As a side note, the Shadow card which returns elves to the West is pretty uselesss, no?

Ya, it's not all that great unless you plan to take 3 or 4 elven strongholds. And then, the elves have to stay in the strongholds and not walk out. When I am free peoples I will sometimes move, say, the army in the woodland realm down one space after Lorien is lost because then they are not vulnerable to return to valinor, making it particularly useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.