Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Monolith musing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Houston
msg tools
Personal Workshop is a great card.

Exile. You have 3 Quality Times and 3 Diesels. You have one copy of Monolith. Sometimes it shows up at the front end of the game. You put it on Personal Workshop.

Exile's deck is a little bit larger, so he can keep blazing through his stack of both large and small programs. Aesop is giving you three credits each turn for all the cheap ones (Inti, Cloak, Paricia).

Your big, mean programs are floating around, available whenever you need them, maybe in your stack or maybe in your heap. You are using them to bounce around, pressuring weak servers, annoying the corp. Where is Femme or Morning Star going to show up next? You are installing RD Interfaces in the meantime, you are Test Running for Sneakdoor Beta. Delaying the game (or maybe scoring big!). You are holding one Indexing or one Escher in your grip to use when it seems right.

Toward the mid to late game you find you have only 5 credits to go on Monolith. You gather Morningstar, Sneakdoor Beta, Magnum Opus, or even cheaper but also useful programs into your hand. Or maybe you already had them there.

You install Monolith for like 3-5 credits. Maybe with Stimhack for free. You play three clicks worth of programs, for cheap, in one go. For the rest of the game, you Stimhack with impunity-just discard a program from your hand. Bye bye Inti! Stimhack again with Same Old Thing.

Levy AR Lab Access will get you all your cards back to start again, again. All your hardware and good programs are already on the table, so it's the big event cards you are looking for this time around. Facecheck all the huge bioroids and traps. Just discard some programs! Or trash 'em, who the f*** cares. They'll just come right back.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure that many games go 13+ rounds.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Pickles
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Or that Stimhack damage can be prevented
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MavericK96 wrote:
I'm not sure that many games go 13+ rounds.


Game average is 15-16 rounds.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrik Bøe
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pickles wrote:
Or that Stimhack damage can be prevented


Why shouldn't it be? It's not a cost.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gin Teki
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
ulrik wrote:
Pickles wrote:
Or that Stimhack damage can be prevented


Why shouldn't it be? It's not a cost.


It says it cannot be prevented on the card.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Houston
msg tools
Pickles wrote:
Or that Stimhack damage can be prevented

Aw heck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DK Kemler
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing a little white-out cant fix!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrik Bøe
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Searlichek wrote:
ulrik wrote:
Pickles wrote:
Or that Stimhack damage can be prevented


Why shouldn't it be? It's not a cost.


It says it cannot be prevented on the card.


Oops.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Houston
msg tools
I love that, thematically, now that I think about it. When you Stimhack, you do it to yourself with chemicals. A hulking Monolith that normally shrugs off bioroid or trap brain damage can't protect you from your own ambition!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksi Laitinen
Finland
flag msg tools
Avatar
Don't forget that Monolith also saves you 3 clicks for installing those 3 programs. By installing Monolith, you gain:

-18 credits
-1 click (to install)
+12 credits
+3 clicks
+3 MU

Total:
-6 credits
+2 clicks
+3 MU

The downside is that you have to install all the programs at once. Just pointing this out because it seems that people are forgetting about the saved install clicks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nephtys Nephtys
msg tools
Saved install clicks which are pissed away by wasted time that you didn't spend installing those vital programs many, many turns ago.

I know guys, my new strategy is to install no icebreakers until turn 8! At which point I'll install them for free! Ahah--- what do you mean the corp scored 2 Biotic Labors already?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe in a deck with TestRun, Stimhack, Pheromones and PW.

you have the monolith on the PW early, then run HQ to build Pheromones tokens. You can then bounce off the outer ice and get 4C taken off your monolith for 1click / turn.

If they try to score something, you TestRun a breaker out and run it, then you can draw to have the breaker you need in your hand for monolith later.

Sadly SMC doesn't really work as it doesn't put programs into your hand, but you could still install 1 with monolith to save the click (but not the credits.)

Special Order would work well though, to get the breakers you want into hand before you install the monolith, but that's 2inf and so out of reach of the Professor.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
brendan2026 wrote:
I love that, thematically, now that I think about it. When you Stimhack, you do it to yourself with chemicals. A hulking Monolith that normally shrugs off bioroid or trap brain damage can't protect you from your own ambition!


But strangely, Haas Bioroid's Sentinel Defenses zap you with net damage when you do drugs. Science!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nephtys wrote:
what do you mean the corp scored 2 Biotic Labors already?


Yeah, what exactly *do* you mean? I've never scored even ONE Biotic Labour in my life
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Goodwin
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DbZer0 wrote:
MavericK96 wrote:
I'm not sure that many games go 13+ rounds.


Game average is 15-16 rounds.


Looks like 14.94 in the July 1 OCTGN dataset, after some light sanitizing. The standard deviation (6.13) is an important consideration for discussions like this. It tells us that 68% of games range from between 9 - 21 turns, which is really a wide variation (and 95% between 3 - 27 turns).

My takeaway is that generally you can expect a game to last at least 10 turns, and your deck should be able to gracefully handle a 20-turn game if need be.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
Avatar
mb
Kandiru wrote:
maybe in a deck with TestRun, Stimhack, Pheromones and PW.

you have the monolith on the PW early, then run HQ to build Pheromones tokens. You can then bounce off the outer ice and get 4C taken off your monolith for 1click / turn.

If they try to score something, you TestRun a breaker out and run it, then you can draw to have the breaker you need in your hand for monolith later.

Sadly SMC doesn't really work as it doesn't put programs into your hand, but you could still install 1 with monolith to save the click (but not the credits.)

Special Order would work well though, to get the breakers you want into hand before you install the monolith, but that's 2inf and so out of reach of the Professor.


Pheromones is one that I hadn't considered for getting Monolith out.

Interesting...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bingo Little
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
One day, there will be a test run kind of thing for hardware, where monolith becomes one of the best cards in the game.

This is me being clairvoyant, like when I said corp was getting all sorts of efficient stuff for installing ice in C+C and no one knew what I was talking about. Now, half the cards are named efficiency. Gotta listen to me people.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sciencebuster wrote:
One day, there will be a test run kind of thing for hardware, where monolith becomes one of the best cards in the game.

This is me being clairvoyant, like when I said corp was getting all sorts of efficient stuff for installing ice in C+C and no one knew what I was talking about. Now, half the cards are named efficiency. Gotta listen to me people.


I think Monolith is exactly the reason there wouldn't be a Test Run for hardware... But there'll be something. What it is is probably not as good as Test Run but would make it at least an interesting thought
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelson Wong
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Honestly if Monolith could grab stuff from the Heap as well as HQ it would already be pretty good.

At the very least, you can make that Diesel+Quality Time+Freelance Coding Contract+Monolith deck. Exile would even refill your hand after.

The possibilities...shake
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksi Laitinen
Finland
flag msg tools
Avatar
I posted an idea (well, pretty much that FFC thing you just mentioned) for a Monolith deck in the General forum: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/12966881#12966881

Deck example a couple of posts below that and updated version below that. Haven't had a chance to test it though, and it's probably not very good in comparison to "real" decks, but at least it feels like the best thing you can do with Monolith for now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DbZer0 wrote:
MavericK96 wrote:
I'm not sure that many games go 13+ rounds.


Game average is 15-16 rounds.


Okay, so you install Monolith and then have 2-3 turns to use it. Assuming the corp hasn't already scored 7 agenda points by then.

Good to know, though. I wouldn't have thought games were typically that long.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksi Laitinen
Finland
flag msg tools
Avatar
Takes about 4-5 turns to install Monolith.

I just played a game with the deck I linked earlier against pre-C&C HB fast advance. My deck felt pretty clumsy but I eventually won, barely, with R&D lock. The deck wasn't completely terrible, but the same idea would probably work better without Monolith.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bingo Little
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Tuism wrote:
sciencebuster wrote:
One day, there will be a test run kind of thing for hardware, where monolith becomes one of the best cards in the game.

This is me being clairvoyant, like when I said corp was getting all sorts of efficient stuff for installing ice in C+C and no one knew what I was talking about. Now, half the cards are named efficiency. Gotta listen to me people.


I think Monolith is exactly the reason there wouldn't be a Test Run for hardware... But there'll be something. What it is is probably not as good as Test Run but would make it at least an interesting thought


Not test run, but something...my thoughts exactly. It's coming. For exile as well, something like this is coming, if not just so we can all laugh as people try to make snazzy deck names mixing exile and replicator. The exilplicator.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.