Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There needs to be a category added to the game entry called "Thematic Playing Pieces" (or something similar) so all the games like Axis & Allies, The Queen's Gambit, ect... that have those types of bits can be classified as such and not as a miniatures game.

Basically every miniatures Geeklist that gets made has games listed that don't belong there. They typically don't get a lot of input as people know that some of the game entries are wrong and it feels like you are legitimizing those entries when you comment to a list like that.

Existing game entries could slowly be corrected as people send in the corrections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Add Category for New Game Entries - Thematic Playing Pie
See the following GeekList for an example of what Scott is talking about:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/13441

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see what you're saying Todd, and am well aware of the debate over whether Ticket to Ride is a "train game," but I don't think creating an extra category for game entries is a bad idea because it probably doesn't require much work, and would help clear up some confusion. Just because we don't all agree about the definition of something doesn't mean we can't create more classifications and try to come to a consensus about what they mean. You're right that this may be a slippery slope and there will always be differences of opinion, but in this case it seems clear enough to me that the "Miniatures" definition is too broad and warrants a modification. It's not a big deal whatsoever, but I don't see the harm in making the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
To me a minatures game has the following ingredients: unpainted miniatures sold separately, movement via tape measure, no board. Games like A&A or Heroscape contain miniatures, but are miniatures games insofar as painting minis, building terrain etc is not the primary focus.

Edit: typos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
louper wrote:

This reminds me of a geeklist I skimmed recently (not going to hunt down the link, though) about "train games," and people threw their electronic arms up over the inclusion of, say, Ticket to Ride and TransAmerica. To the gamer who doesn't consider these to be the particular train games, or even TYPE of train games, that he/she had in mind, this kind of list is considered WRONG. But it isn't. It's just the victim, if that's the appropriate word, of two people having differing opinions about what a train game really is, what that label means.

So to say that the list that was linked to is wrong, all (or mostly) wrong, seems, well, wrong, for lack of a better word. Let's consider it a difference of opinion and avoid creating categories for every single niche. Next we'll have categories for train games, and then games with edible bits, and then games about slippery slopes.

I can understand your point but the example you give is really different than what I'm talking about. It is not just a difference of opinion as to what makes up a miniature game and anyone who has spent hundreds of dollars locating, collecting and painting miniatures for their game would never mistake a game like Axis and Allies or The Queen's Gambit as a miniatures game. Yes, it does have miniature playing pieces, but only someone who is, perhaps, unfamiliar with a real miniature game/rule set would consider it as such. Miniatures games are not just a game with nifty pieces that look like whatever they are supposed to be and classifying those games as such is misleading to those using to this database.

I can see your arguement about Train games and how it might get fiddly if you could break it down even further distinctions like "Crayon Rail System" or "Tile Placement" (which there already are by the way) but that is what BGG is all about - accurate information about boardgames. This site uses many distinctions to differentiate games - Categories, Mechanics, Ratings, Rank, Weight, Playing Time, # of Players ect... and adding another category to clarify better between a true miniatures game and a game that has nice thematic playing pieces would only help those who come to the site looking for either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
A new category of Thematic Playing Pieces does sound like a useful addition to allow people to search for a particular attribute they like in a game.

One cautionary note, however ... since the inclusion (or not) of a particular style of playing piece is dependent on the edition or version of a game, we would have to accomodate games where some editions have thematic pieces, but some editions have chits or wooden bits. I'm thinking of games like Risk or History of the World.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.