Mousey
Netherlands
Je suis Paris
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RIP Jonah Lomu 1975-2015
mbmbmbmbmb
When in Paris I found this boardgame lend out place right on the Place de la Republique.

Any sugestions where to post this information so other travelers who go to Paris will find this great place to play boardgames?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mousey wrote:
When in Paris I found this boardgame lend out place right on the Place de la Republique.

Any sugestions where to post this information so other travelers who go to Paris will find this great place to play boardgames?

are they in ENGLISH ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Je suis Paris
flag msg tools
badge
RIP Jonah Lomu 1975-2015
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:

are they in ENGLISH ?

Some are, but mostly they are in French.
But as you can see in the picture, lots of them are language independent or so common that you would have no problem understanding what the text on the cards mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mousey wrote:
dprijadi wrote:

are they in ENGLISH ?

But as you can see in the picture, lots of them are language independent or so common that you would have no problem understanding what the text on the cards mean.

aigh , no one understand french language.. i guess this is only for locals and not for international tourist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Radford
United Kingdom
Lydney
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
Sixes again!
badge
A mighty fish-god am I.
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
aigh , no one understand french language.. i guess this is only for locals and not for international tourist

Speak for yourself. A basic grasp of French isn't a difficult thing to acquire; we're talking about boardgame rules, not Molière.

I think this is a rather delightful find, and I shall be sure to pay a visit next time I'm in Paris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Roy
United Kingdom
Bath
GB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
Mousey wrote:
dprijadi wrote:

are they in ENGLISH ?

As this comment doesn't go far enough for me to actually flag it as inappropriate, I'm left with only this option: thumbsdown
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool! I found this page, which shows a copy of Chromino in action:

http://www.fermoblittlebigworld.com/uk-place-de-la-republiqu...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Weber
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More information from paris.fr (translated to English with Google Translate):

L'R de jeux : un succès auprès des familles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Je suis Paris
flag msg tools
badge
RIP Jonah Lomu 1975-2015
mbmbmbmbmb
Aubigny wrote:

Here it says they are open until September 15th.

Open Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Sundays and holidays from 11h to 20h and on Friday from 11h to 22h and Saturday from 11h to 23h (closed on Mondays).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
royboy_9 wrote:
dprijadi wrote:
Mousey wrote:
dprijadi wrote:

are they in ENGLISH ?

As this comment doesn't go far enough for me to actually flag it as inappropriate, I'm left with only this option: thumbsdown

Just download the English rules here at BGG and set up the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
dprijadi wrote:
Mousey wrote:
dprijadi wrote:

are they in ENGLISH ?

Yeah. I personally think that everybody should speak Dutch, as that makes it so much easier for Dutch tourists abroad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Je suis Paris
flag msg tools
badge
RIP Jonah Lomu 1975-2015
mbmbmbmbmb
Whymme wrote:
dprijadi wrote:
Mousey wrote:
dprijadi wrote:

are they in ENGLISH ?

Yeah. I personally think that everybody should speak Dutch, as that makes it so much easier for Dutch tourists abroad.

Many Dutch words were already adopted internationally: Apartheid for instance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mousey wrote:

That's very cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Gagnier
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
Mousey wrote:
dprijadi wrote:

are they in ENGLISH ?

1. Let's suppose it's for the domestic market only and not for tourists. How would that be a problem?

2. According to Wikipedia and the French government, less than 40% of French speakers in the world live in Europe, which would mean that there would be quite the international tourist demand potential. 20% of non-native francophone EU citizens can speak French.

3. French is one of the 6 working languages at the UN. It is one of three procedural languages in the EU, and the sole language used in official EU courts.

4. It is the most-learned second language in the world after English.

I posit that your comment is rather disgraceful, contemptible and rather useless, unpleasant characteristics on their own, but that it also suffers from the fatal flaw of being demonstrably and utterly false.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
royboy_9 wrote:
dprijadi wrote:
Mousey wrote:
dprijadi wrote:

are they in ENGLISH ?

That you'd even consider flagging something of this nature is disgusting.

I'll never understand the culture of tattling here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. In Madison, WI, USA they have a tavern called the Weary Traveler where they keep a bookshelf of games for customers to use. Nothing like going in, getting some grog, and playing a good board game with friends!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Gagnon
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Graphic Designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
Mousey wrote:
dprijadi wrote:

are they in ENGLISH ?

You know what? when I travel to the US I speak english and I don't expect to be served in french, so why the fuck do you expect to be served in english when you travel in a french country?

It's a wealth to understand a second language. You can't imagine how many good french songs lyrics you miss, how many awesome books you can't read, how many good movies you pass by...

Speaking french and english give me access to much more content than you in any domains. I can't imagine all the good things I miss because I don't speak german, swedish, japanese or dutch...Now that I know all the good things I would missed if I didn't learn english I want to speak as many languages as possible...thats a curiosity I have.

When I read a book, I don't want to read the interpretation a translator have of a book, I want the real thing. I read english writers in english and french writers in french and I realize today how bad a translation can be!

It's sad that english people, most of them anyway, don't have that curiosity to learn at least a second language. You don't feel the need, it's understandable, but it's sad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
English becoming the world language (more or less) is a terrible
thing for it. It's become a poorer language in that period, as it
must needs be used more simply in order for everyone to understand it. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
neverlooz wrote:
dprijadi wrote:
Mousey wrote:
dprijadi wrote:

are they in ENGLISH ?

You know what? when I travel to the US I speak english and I don't expect to be served in french, so why the fuck do you expect to be served in english when you travel in a french country?

It's a wealth to understand a second language. You can't imagine how many good french songs lyrics you miss, how many awesome books you can't read, how many good movies you pass by...

Speaking french and english give me access to much more content than you in any domains. I can't imagine all the good things I miss because I don't speak german, swedish, japanese or dutch...Now that I know all the good things I would missed if I didn't learn english I want to speak as many languages as possible...thats a curiosity I have.

When I read a book, I don't want to read the interpretation a translator have of a book, I want the real thing. I read english writers in english and french writers in french and I realize today how bad a translation can be!

It's sad that english people, most of them anyway, don't have that curiosity to learn at least a second language. You don't feel the need, it's understandable, but it's sad.

I think English is his second language. His profile indicates he is Indonesian and so Indonesian will be his primary language. In fact English may even be his third language - his first language might be Sundanese or Betawi or something and Indonesian his second.

My French isn't that good but I think I can struggle through a rulebook for a simple game. Actually my vocab retention is not too bad - I struggle with grammar though. However as most people have smart phones it shouldn't be too hard to download and read the rules from here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
neverlooz wrote:
dprijadi wrote:
Mousey wrote:
dprijadi wrote:

are they in ENGLISH ?

I think English is his second language. His profile indicates he is Indonesian and so Indonesian will be his primary language. In fact English may even be his third language - his first language might be Sundanese or Betawi or something and Indonesian his second.

My French isn't that good but I think I can struggle through a rulebook for a simple game. Actually my vocab retention is not too bad - I struggle with grammar though. However as most people have smart phones it shouldn't be too hard to download and read the rules from here.

Sir your assesment is right on the money. Every indonesian usually learn their 'area/province/regional' languange first before learning the official national language. therefore english is the 3rd language learned in school. I guess any nation that have multiple region speaking different kind of language are in the same position (in regards of learning multiple language).

But as with other friendly asian nations, if we met international tourist and they ask for help, we certainly do not expect them to understand Indonesian, but we try to help with english at first try or with body language. after all they are foreigner to took their time visiting our country and we sure try to help any which way we can.

expecting a travelling tourist to speak native language is at best indifference and at worst arrogance of the host to guest. Imagine if a tourist traveling thru south east asia from Thailand then Vietnam, then Malaysia then philipines then brunei then indonesia.. do you expect the tourist to learn multiple language of the host country ? sure if he/she can do it then by all means, but its unrealistic to expect it. yuk

and its worse if most of the host country visited understand english but choose to ignore the tourist who use english and preferring their national languange.. my own personal experience when i travelled in europe.. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:

isnt it good for Britain and its colonies like US,Can,Aus,NZ,etc that english is the world language ? at least they dont have to learn any other languange when they travel..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mousey wrote:
Whymme wrote:
dprijadi wrote:
Mousey wrote:
dprijadi wrote:

are they in ENGLISH ?

Many Dutch words were already adopted internationally: Apartheid for instance.

many indonesian speak dutch because they been here trading for at least 350 years (up until WW2), very nice and friendly people and in my opinion one of the most friendly and warm people in all europe. heck, we got a dutch guy married to family member and he is great guy, like all dutch ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duck Farmer
Australia
Ziggurat City
Phantasmagoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mousey wrote:
Aubigny wrote:

Here it says they are open until September 15th.

Open Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Sundays and holidays from 11h to 20h and on Friday from 11h to 22h and Saturday from 11h to 23h (closed on Mondays).

Merde! J'arriverai à Paris le 20 septembre
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
dprijadi wrote:
calandale wrote:

isnt it good for Britain and its colonies like US,Can,Aus,NZ,etc that english is the world language ? at least they dont have to learn any other languange when they travel..

So? I was talking about the effect on the language.

What do I care about people?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
dprijadi wrote:
expecting a travelling tourist to speak native language is at best indifference and at worst arrogance of the host to guest.

By that token the British and Americans are the most arrogant toward foreign visitors, as you'll find less people there who are prepared to speak anything but the native language than even in France. But somehow I expect that your ire isn't directed to natives whose language you happen to speak.

BTW, why do you think that the target audience of game library in question is tourists at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.