Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
andrea la malfa
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi
In some occasion characters' special abilities are worded with the word "attempt" and this causes some confusion.
In a previous question on shifter I interpreted Brett answer, relating to "attempt to hit" as, "hit is successful and you do the penetration check"
But then what is "attempt to adventure"?

Erik merit has also a when enemy "attempts to hit"

Our new interpretation is "attempt" means that if the declaration is done the attempt happened. The effect is applied AFTER the attempted action is ... Attempted.
In Erik merit case, if I declare an attack he is wronged after the attack (independently of attack result....if you decide to attack Erik you better have a way to kill him in one shot).

Is this interpretation correct?

Thanks
Andrea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrea la malfa wrote:
Hi
In some occasion characters' special abilities are worded with the word "attempt" and this causes some confusion.
In a previous question on shifter I interpreted Brett answer, relating to "attempt to hit" as, "hit is successful and you do the penetration check"
I would interpret attempt to hit as going to draw a challenge card to see whatever you'll hit (melee/aim/point/throw vs react/stealth.)
But if I'm wrong there and "to hit" is the whole process, both to look for hits and damage then someone feel free to tell so. But the symbols are even hit symbols. I assume the other would talk about damage or something such.
andrea la malfa wrote:
But then what is "attempt to adventure"?
Which would be exactly what it sounds like. Any adventure. As in challenge which happen in the adventure phase
andrea la malfa wrote:
Erik merit has also a when enemy "attempts to hit"

Our new interpretation is "attempt" means that if the declaration is done the attempt happened. The effect is applied AFTER the attempted action is ... Attempted.
In Erik merit case, if I declare an attack he is wronged after the attack (independently of attack result....if you decide to attack Erik you better have a way to kill him in one shot).

Is this interpretation correct?

Thanks
Andrea
Wronged? I haven't read the card. For cards in general they are revealed as needed, see weapons and armor, so I think it's totally possible to say "I'm going to shoot at Erik" (in this case) and then say "ok he has ..", but since this is a character effect what do I know. Likely not that hard to figure out the intention if one got the full text in front of oneself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Davis
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played with Erik a couple of days ago, and that is how we played it. He remained a pacifist until my opponent attempted to fire on him during a Fire Phase. Once the declaration was made, and the first Challenge card drawn, Erik had been wronged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bdavis506 wrote:
I just played with Erik a couple of days ago, and that is how we played it. He remained a pacifist until my opponent attempted to fire on him during a Fire Phase. Once the declaration was made, and the first Challenge card drawn, Erik had been wronged.
Ah, wronged = treated badly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baz Hemmons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
bdavis506 wrote:
Ah, wronged = treated badly?

Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Murrell
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The meaning of "attempt" is that it was tried, whether it was successful or not. So, "attempting a Hit" means making a Hit challenge, regardless of outcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrea la malfa
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpitfireIXA wrote:
The meaning of "attempt" is that it was tried, whether it was successful or not. So, "attempting a Hit" means making a Hit challenge, regardless of outcome.

Ok, thanks

Andrea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.