Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian P Lewis
United Kingdom
Torquay
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I am looking for recommendations of good family games.

The charity that I volunteer with that gives free holidays to families with terminally ill children have been bought a holiday caravan in Sunny Devon, UK by the Miss World/Miss England/Mr England organisation.

This will allow us to help even more families each year.

We want to put some great board games in for the families to use and as an avid board gamer I want to try and stay away from the usual suspects of family games.

SO I need suggestions for fun, easy to pick up and play family games.

So far I am thinking

Uno
Kids of Carrcassone
Hey That's My Fish

But I would like suggestions of more

Many Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quint Wheeler
United States
North Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
Q
badge
Q
mbmbmbmbmb
Animal Upon Animal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Brian. If you want to stay with simpler, family style games, you may want to look at these:

Bananagrams
Sequence
SET
Dutch Blitz (or Ligretto)

If you'd like to give them a little step up into the hobby game side, maybe give these a look:

Ingenious
Blokus

Good luck with your charity!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian P Lewis
United Kingdom
Torquay
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for replies, will check them all out.

Cant believe I forgot Dixit though, great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm doing a workshop for 8-12 year old kids at local municipal youth centre. Here's what works:

Jungle Speed
It's a dexterity game of quick pattern recognition and swift reflexes. Beats Uno on every front, except maybe check for fingernails before you play. If dexeterity is a problem, then skip this one. best thing about it is that kids will play between themselves and it rewards repeated play. Hugely popular.

Spot it!
Simpler than Jungle Speed and more accessible. It's a 5-10 minute game of pure speed pattern recognition. Works with every age. Can't play more than 30 minutes of it before you brain gets turned into a jelly. Great with smaller kids.

Blokus
Simple to pick up abstract that looks attractive on the table and has enough unpredictability to make it worthwhile with kids. Needs 4 players, though you can adapt to 3 or 2 just fine (if you're not serious about competing).

Unnamed Object
I'm hiding this one from kids as they went bananas over it. You know what 10 y.o. girls want? Diamonds! Plastic ones! (made in china preferably) and what they'll do to get them - Not Much!
It's a risk taking game of going into the ancient temple 5 times, the deeper you go the more gold you can get, but if you stay too long bad things happen and you're out of everything you picked in this round. There's also some bluffing going on. But mostly if there's a game about instant gratification it's this one.

Dixit
This one was surprisingly popular. It's not that kids "get it" in the same way as adults, but they love the illustrations and if you can adapt to their mode of playing it's quite fun. Oh kids liked it even if they didn't win and that's saying something.

Pyramid of Pengqueen
Another one that kids like immediately. It's very simple to teach and is again about collecting treasure. But one person is a mummy playing against all the other "adventurers" (thieves) and each of them is playing on their own. Works well with all player counts (some don't like 2 player, but I've found it okay). This one wins in simple, yet thematic category.

Animal Upon Animal
One I like. It's probably the best stacking game out there - it's soooo cute (Girls magnet), yet provides for very creative gameplay requiring good understanding of 3D environment.

Forbidden Island
This one is on the more complex end of the spectrum, best with older kids. Works as it's thematic and it's neat that it features cooperation.

King of Tokyo
Say what you want, but boys in particular (and teenagers even more) love this - it's simple to pick up, theme is attractive and it's mostly about risk taking (so low on strategy). For when you have at least 4 players I'd say.

I've tried some other kids games as well, Drei magier spiele in particular has plenty of good games (mostly oriented at kids, not families) - I've listed here the cheap ones:

Ciao, Ciao...
It's a game to teach kids how to lie. Basically. I liked it. Very simple to pick up, compared to more gamer's games such as Coup.
EDIT: sell it as a game for parents to catch their kids when they lie. whistle

Cockroach Salad / Kakerlakensuppe
Very light game of, uhm, quick thinking - you pick a card and say what it is, except it's the same as the card before - then you have to say a name of another card, except that name was just used. Got it? Mostly it's about screaming "Carrot!" "Mushroom" and "Cockroach!"

Die Sprache des Manitu
A 5 minute game about repeating weird word patterns. That's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot about these

Rory's Story Cubes + Rory's Story Cubes: Actions
Got one kid, is she/he creative? Then you play this. You can make assignments (Why did I missed the school? What did we do for holidays? What was I dreaming about?).

free games:
Eat Poop You Cat
Celebrities (the make it yourself version of time's up which I think is a better pick for kids - let them create their own game)
Find rules and print them out for all families or made them downloadable on your web page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
I warmly recommend Mondo and Fair Play. Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thayne Weston
United States
Nibley
Utah
flag msg tools
The die has been cast- Julius Caesar
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza. Is a great one

Telestrations get the 12 pack

Good luck I hope it all works out sounds like a good charity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Marion
Canada
Surrey
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island and Martian Dice are popular in this household as far as less expensive games go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyssa McCain
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Spot it! (this is a game I carry in my bag all the time. Easy to explain and no set up)
Sleeping Queens (great card game. Our 5 year old LOVES it and it's fun to play for adults too)
+1 Unnamed Object (another family favorite, but there are little bits for the treasure so if there are little little kids in the house, might be a problem)
Monster Factory (super fun tile laying game! Same principles as Carcassonne, but fun monster theme)
Zombie Dice (perfect for older kids or anyone that loves zombies and dice. We bring this along with us frequently since it's so portable and fun).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Blokus Trigon over Blokus, and for a larger family Gemblo (1-6 players).

+1 for King of Tokyo (among the other great games).

Also check out Ricochet Robots for some brain-work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
Simple game to learn/teach, but is tons of fun.
My kids love this game.

Loot
Quick trick taking game with really nice artwork with a pirate theme.
Not my personal favorite but my kids enjoy it.
We usually play a few games before diving into something with a little more complexity.

+1 for Unnamed Object.
Simple rules, fun push your luck game.

+1 for King of Tokyo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Barbie
msg tools
mbmb
+1 Forbidden Island, King of Tokyo, Blokus Trigon and wanted to throw in Ghost Blitz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Skogberg
Canada
Weyburn
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmb
+1 forbidden island
+1 survive: escape from Atlantis
Both were a big hit at my house and I have 3 kids age 10,6,2( not that the two year old plays just watches)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Letter
Tsuro
Tapple
Loopin' Louie
Friday the 13th
+1 Dixit
+1 Telestrations
+1 Unnamed Object (aka Diamant)
+1 Blokus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second the suggestions for Incan Gold, Forbidden Island, and something from the Blokus family (with my votes going for 3D and Trigon, in that order), and add in a suggestion for

Coloretto (which I greatly prefer to Zooloretto).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.