Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT just added some more games to their P500 list. With the exception of one or maybe two entries I'd have to say that I am mildly disappointed. It's almost entirely reprints of DTP games, or previously released games.

And where is Asia Engulfed? I had been anticipating that one for a while, but it hasn't made an appearance on the preorder listing.

Oh well... if you haven't done so yet, go check it out. Maybe someone can convince me that the latest offerings aren't as weak as I think they are! (though, as I said, there's at least one exception)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Europe Engulfed's design team has said Asia Engulfed is going to wait until FAB: The Bulge makes the 750 cut before AE gets put on the list. One more reason to order FAB: Bulge! As for the new games, Halls of Montezuma looks like it could be good, I agree with you though, it doesn't seem like much leaps out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
jmw23 wrote:
I think Europe Engulfed's design team has said Asia Engulfed is going to wait until FAB: The Bulge makes the 750 cut before AE gets put on the list. One more reason to order FAB: Bulge! As for the new games, Halls of Montezuma looks like it could be good, I agree with you though, it doesn't seem like much leaps out.

Rick Young did at that.

Besides, I would like to see them get caught up on the rest of their games before they release another monster that is going to fly up the P500.

How long before the C&C expansion hits 500, a month?

I am interested in Friendly Fire? the solitaire game and Halls of Montezuma as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is Successors 3? soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

It's got at least 1 already!

I also ordered the DiF Bomber Pack.

But none of the other games really tempted me except maybe the solitaire game Fields of Fire. With a terrain deck, it seems rather Up Front-esque.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I'm surprised! It appears that some people... wait for it... agree with me in thinking some/most of the latest offerings are a little yawn-inspiring.

We should be seeing some Horsemen of the Apocalypse any minute now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, is Mark Herman still planning to do Washington's War? It is strange that he said he was, then *nothing*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also surprised at no Washington's War. I know the game was being created in such a way as to avoid any legal troubles with Hasbro which owns the rights to We The People but who won't print it nor release the rights back to Mark Herman. Thus Herman was attempting to design another American Revolution card driven game that he could have GMT publish without Hasbro being able to say anything. Makes me wonder if Hasbro has thrown a legal monkey wrench into the release of this game causing a delay. I certainly hope not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two games stood out to me. The first is Halls of Montezuma. It's an interesting conflict that you don't see explored very often, plus it's a card driven game so it should move up the list rather quickly I think.

The second one is Great Campaigns of the 30 Years War. This is by Ben Hull whose Musket and Pike series is a big seller for GMT. It says it's a "low rules complexity" game which could make it a nice intro level game for those wanting to get more into the historic wargaming but are intimidated by some of the rule books.

I think the big thing with these new P500 additions are the expansions. Update cards for For The People and Barbarossa to Berlin plus firm news on those two great games getting reprints. Good to hear they will be out sometime in the spring so these two games should be out in time for the summer conventions.

Also there is an expansion pack coming for CC & C Ancients, Bombers expansion pack for Down in Flames and a new module for Caesar: Conquest of Gaul. So no Washington's War or Asia Engulfed this time but there's still some good stuff in there.

jmw23 wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm definitely getting the C&C:Ancients expansion and the FTP III deck that will bring my copy up to the new version. I am also going to get the Deluxe Map of FTP as well.

I'm "reordering" Gergovia and adding Ran (which I had forgotten to order).

I'm also ordering GCo30YW by Ben Hull and I'm kind of surprised it doesn't generate more excitement here...

-- from the shill page --

GCo30YW is a low-complexity game with emphasis on the players maneuvering their forces, but many decisions await. The low rules complexity allows each player, rather than being encumbered with rules, to focus on choices regarding how to manage his campaign.

----

Looks to me like a lot of detractors of games like GBOH might find paradise here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Jones
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
jl4130 wrote:
Wait, so they're holding AE hostage in order to sell more FAB?

I guess that's one way of looking at it. The other way is that they want to let the design team finish one project properly before they start the next one.

In general, I am also pretty disappointed with the new offerings. C&C:Ax1 is a no-brainer (already ordered) but there is nothing else new that I fancy. Oh well, I guess I should revisit some of the existing P500 titles in order to spend my money, Combat Commander, FtP, Onward Christian Soldiers, and Conquest of Paradise have all been on my maybe list for some time.

Just thinking, but we should be able to track the pre-orders on the Geek if everybody that pre-orders logs C&C:Ax1 as a game they own. (Does it have a game entry yet?). IMO, GMT would do well to start chopping the trees down now.

Allen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Millen
United Kingdom
Greyabbey
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
Quote:

I'd like to hope so, I've put in for two copies.

In the past GMT's Euro/crossover games have moved up P500 at a painfully slow pace compared to their wargame offerings (eg CC:A, Winds of Plunder, Conquest of Paradise). If the critical success of CC:A has led Eurogamers to embrace the concept of pre-ordering then this is a well-deserved pay-off for Gene's faith.

In peace

Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I share a lot of the feeling expressed so far.

There's two sides to this:

1. There are a lot of games already on the p500 that more gamers are pining away for than ever before. We don't want a backlog.

2. Unless you already are a player of the games that are getting expansions, it's disappointing. I have been waiting for Successors 111 for over a year and WW for 6 months. I wish GMT would at least tell us that these are still going to happen sometime - that would ease things a bit. As is, for all we know we're waiting for something that will never happen.

I am disappointed that PoG Player's Guide is not going to be printed before about May. Since it's a reprint, on a good order amount and is only a book and cards, I hoped it would be. Having said that, Pax Romana is now going to be out by March. I urge folks here to take another look at that and possibly order before the price goes up - pretty soon, I'd guess.

I am going to take another look at the Price of Freedom. This is doing very well and gaining a lot of orders. The problems is there is a lot LESS info on this one than many of the others from 500-600. Any chance of some play-test info?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, we have been spoilt by GMT recently.

We all have high expectations each new new release!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost in all this is the news that For The People and Barbarossa To Berlin will both be reprinted "In the second quarter". In fact GMT tells folks to get their pre-orders in for these games in the next 4-6 weeks to get the P500 price. That would mean most likely they're going to start charging cards for those in April which in turn would mean a May release for them perhaps. Also since both reprints will be updated versions there are update kits now available to order. Great news for fans of those two games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Nardo
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NikTheRake wrote:
Quote:
In the past GMT's Euro/crossover games have moved up P500 at a painfully slow pace compared to their wargame offerings (eg CC:A, Winds of Plunder, Conquest of Paradise [emphasis added]). If the critical success of CC:A has led Eurogamers to embrace the concept of pre-ordering then this is a well-deserved pay-off for Gene's faith.

I think the crossover payoff for GMT will come if the new C&C:A expansion fares well, and the two games mentioned above pick up their pace in the wake of C&C:A.

Critical acclaim is good, but acclaim+sales is even better. arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Nardo
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UserX wrote:
Oh well, I guess I should revisit some of the existing P500 titles in order to spend my money [...] .

A lot of people seem to do this on the quarterly list additions. I'd like to encourage this... for purely selfish reasons, of course. arrrh
UserX wrote:
Just thinking, but we should be able to track the pre-orders on the Geek if everybody that pre-orders logs C&C:Ax1 as a game they own. (Does it have a game entry yet?). IMO, GMT would do well to start chopping the trees down now.

Actually, a fair number of people are using the "Want in trade" marker to flag games they have on P500.

Instead of using the "Own" marker as an indicator of who wants it, I'd rather see this as a way for folks with demo/playtest copies to let themselves be known on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The two games on the list I find the most exciting are the C&C:Ancients Expansion and Bloody Beach Omaha. I've played a LOT of Ancients since it came out and the Bloody Beach Omaha game is a Charles Roberts Award winner in its DTP form and looks to make an excellent high-quality version for GMT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hull
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fields of Fire is indeed inspired to some extent by "Up Front." The scale is different as the player is in the role of a Company Commander and the maneuver elements are squads and weapons teams. In "Up Front" - one large deck covers both terrain and activity, I split it out into two smaller decks. In "Fields of Fire" the terrain deck is based on the typical terrain of the area where the historical campaign took place and it is used to build a map that is persistant throughout the given mission.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
benhull wrote:
Fields of Fire is indeed inspired to some extent by "Up Front." The scale is different as the player is in the role of a Company Commander and the maneuver elements are squads and weapons teams. In "Up Front" - one large deck covers both terrain and activity, I split it out into two smaller decks. In "Fields of Fire" the terrain deck is based on the typical terrain of the area where the historical campaign took place and it is used to build a map that is persistant throughout the given mission.

Thanks

I should be thanking you for the description, Ben. I'll have to get my order in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
mgringo wrote:
I'm also ordering GCo30YW by Ben Hull and I'm kind of surprised it doesn't generate more excitement here...

-- from the shill page --

GCo30YW is a low-complexity game with emphasis on the players maneuvering their forces, but many decisions await. The low rules complexity allows each player, rather than being encumbered with rules, to focus on choices regarding how to manage his campaign.

----

Looks to me like a lot of detractors of games like GBOH might find paradise here.

This one looks great to me, and it and the C&C:A expansion were no-brainers to pre-order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
Denmark
København
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone notice "Halls of Montezuma" the new card-driven Mex-war game? It looks like it could be mighty cool, and that's one I'll certainly keep my eye on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to sunny BGG, Owen, which part of Wales are you from?

I used to holiday in Wales a lot when I was growing up in Liverpool. Still go there every other year or so with my family.

BTW, take a look at Avalanche games latest stuff, too. They also make great games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And Joe Steadman has done a great review of Winds of Plunder here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/101320

Good to see the new GMT update has that and Conquest of Paradise doing quite well.

And come on you Paths of Glory players - there's still time to sign up for the Player's Guide which is now heading towards 700 orders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A copy of the first printing of the Paths of Glory players guide just went for $66 on Ebay.

Admiral Fisher wrote:

And come on you Paths of Glory players - there's still time to sign up for the Player's Guide which is now heading towards 700 orders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.