Popular Tags: [View All]
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The witches have had enough. No more werewolves. No more alchemists. No more witch hunters. It’s time to rule the world. It’s a crusade, and it’s not going to be pretty. (In fact, many warts have already begun their efforts to grow an extra hair!)

The Alchemists are not particularly pleased about this, and have grown attached to their existence. In this effort they have formed ala resistance.

The Witchfinder General is not without opinion. He dislikes Alchemists, but he despises witches and so has set about the task of this final eradication. If it’s war they want, they know how to find it – at the end of a butcher knife.

And so the final battlefront has taken place in the form of a village. It’s almost too Gaulish to be true.

RULES:
There are three roles; witches, alchemists and witch finder general (WFG).
Witches don’t do lynches. The alchemists are too busy tottering about their brews and probably aren’t strong enough anyway, and the WFG is under cover. Lynches? We don’t need no steenking lynches. But the sun does set, and then things get interesting. And then the sun rises, and carnage abounds.

THE WITCH
The witch has four actions available to her, but only one of these can be performed on any given night.
They are hex, curse, descry or brew.
The hex is powerful killing magic. It can kill an ordinary man. Unfortunately, alchemists are magical old tonkers and have some resistance. It takes two hexes on one night to kill an alchemist – which means performed by two different witches. Luckily, witches have that same resistance. It takes two to kill a witch as well. Unfortunately, the WFG is extremely resistant to magic, it takes three hexes on the same night to kill him.

The curse is a lesser form of magic, but it destroys morale and consumes energy. Any alchemist or witch that is cursed can take no role based action on the next night. The WFG is immune to the curse. A cursed player can still take actions that are not role based, as per normal restrictions.

Descry is performed while sleeping, but takes the entire night to perform (give or take). While descrying, the witch can target any player, and learn what actions they take on that night.

Brewing is performed over a steenking hot cauldron, and lets you brew up any potion you like, as long as it’s from the list. (See next post for potion list.) All potions must be labeled, but the witch does not need to be honest. Labels can only be one word long.

THE ALCHEMIST
The alchemist can also brew, and he can evaluate.
If the alchemist brews, he must label it correctly. However, he can brew two potions at once. He can only dose with one of these on any given night.
If he evaluates, he cannot brew. (It takes all night to test it!) But he learns the correct potion contents, and can relabel them if the label is incorrect. However, if the potion is a mixture, there is only enough room on the label to write “MIXTURE”.
When the alchemist evaluates, he can evaluate any number of potions available, however... it's difficult to end the night with more than one. (yet still possible!)

The Witchfinder General (WFG)
The WFG has the ability to spy, or torture.
If he spies on a player, he learns what action they are taking.
He will see the actions as either CASTING (hex or curse), BREWING (Brewing or Evaluating) and he will see GUARD or SLEEP.
Obviously, casting is the only result which is definitely witch like.
He may or may not see dosing, but he will not see thieving.

However, the WFG can torture any player that he chooses, and he will interrupt their action when he does so. (So no final brew, hex or curse. Even if it is the third hex on that same WFG! However, if it was the fourth hex, the WFG will die instead.)
When the WFG tortures a player, that player will die. As a consolation prize, they will learn the name of the WFG. The WFG however, will learn if the player was truly a witch or an alchemist.

The WFG is immune to potions. They can't and won't affect him, even if he is cursed.

ALL PLAYERS:
There are some actions that any player may make.
These are:
Mix – you may mix any potions together that you like. In fact, because you may only hold one potion (that you had from during that day), you might have to. And if you forget to, the mod will do it for you. Well, for him, more likely. And for humour. You can even mix your potion into someone else's potion. How's that for fun?
Drink (or Quaff) - you can drink any potion in your possession.
Dose – you may dose any player you desire with any potion you have.
Steal – you can steal from any player, and you’ll score every potion they had at the beginning of the night. Way to go! You can keep them until tomorrow night!
If two players steal from the same player on the same night, they catch each other - and even learn the identity of the other thief, but neither gets the goodies. Prevents difficult moderator decisions.
Sleep – it is assumed you’ll sleep directly after your role-based action.
Guard – you may guard instead of sleep, but the cost is that you will be exhausted the next day as if you were cursed. For the WFG, it’s as if you were susceptible to the curse too. But the benefit is that you prevent and identify any player from stealing or dosing, and that could be good, right!?
Also, if you catch a player attempting to dose you, you destroy that potion.
If you guard, you can see the WFG spying on you, but not the identity of the WFG.

You can give potions at the same time you either steal, or dose. The give target does not have to be the player you steal or dose, obviously.

Lastly, Dose and steal are exclusive to each other, you can only perform one of these per night. Steal happens before your role based action, and dose happens after it. (Hence, you can brew and dose.)
Guard and sleep are exclusive to each other too.

Action order: In fact, the actions will go like this:
Sunset.
Stealing/Giving
Role based action (unless it's descry)
Dosing/Giving
Sleeping/guarding (including Descry)
Sunrise.
Arguments.

You can mix, destroy or drink any time you are awake. The relevant order of actions in your PM may affect the outcomes.

PMs – None. Except your night actions to the moderator.
OK that’s not technically ‘none’. But that’s ALL!

DEATHS – Players will die, so don’t take that personally, unless you killed them. There will be no role reveals, except to the WFG when he tortures you.

WINNING CONDITIONS – the game ends when either:
There are no witches left, OR
There are only witches left.
If there are only witches left, the witches win, otherwise they lose.

The game will begin with 50% witches, and an unknown number of alchemists/WFGs. (But you might be able to figure that out!)

DISCLAIMER
This game has not been tested for balance. We don’t need no steeking balance. The balance lies in the fact that both teams can kill players from either team. In fact, the true balance lies in the fact that it doesn’t matter what you say, someone wants to kill you. Go on, knock yourself out!

SIGNUPS
This game will take an unlimited number of players. In fact, the more the merrier.

WHEN?
The more I get, the more concrete the play date will be. At the moment I have zero players and zero plans. If I get less than ‘a lot’ I will squeeze this in, in between games. If I get more, then I will find a concrete date (a long way away?). If I get exact, I will beg for one more. More? Can I have one more?

Who’s with me?
1.Seppi
2.Oilslider
3.Royalflush
4.Melissa
5.Warlock MBS808
6.Butterbane
7.Xandryyte
8.Moongoddess
9.Beowulf
10. JMilum
11. RJPhelan
12. Path12.
13. Buffalospynovel (good to see you outside the chatroom!)
14. Javal, the inspiration for the game. Again.
15. Ithics
16. Secretsauce
17. Shugyosha
18. Stuey ...
19. Kuchick
20. NeonElf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
POTION LIST
Working list, in progress....

Antidote
Command
Disguise
Energy
Fatigue
Granite
Invert
Poison

Antidote - cancels any effect you have from drinking any other potion previously. If mixed, it cancels all potions in the mixture. (Tasty water, it becomes!)

Command - causes witches to use their rolebased action against the chosen player. (Choose it when you dose or mix the potion.) Causes Alchemists to GIVE all potions to the chosen player after completing their rolebased action. If the target was not set, the target is random, and can include yourself. The rolebased action is chosen as normal. If that player chooses NO rolebased action that night, the effect of Command deteriorates unnoticed.

Disguise - when you drink it you appear as the person of your choice. If you do not choose, it is randomly determined, and can include yourself. You can set the target when you dose, or if you mix - however, a mixed potion target will be overruled if a new target is chosen when drank.

Energy - removes the effect of a curse, exhaustion from guarding, or fatigue from potion. Energy + Fatigue = tasty water.

Fatigue - drinking this potion removes your ability to perform your very next role action. If you consume this early in the night, or were dosed with it, that means tonight's action is void. You must sleep this night, and may not guard. You still get one [dose or steal] and may give or mix items freely.
If you consume this late in the night (after you performed a role based action) this carries over to the next night.

Granite - puts you to sleep, cast in stone. You may perform no actions whatsoever, nor can you be tortured. You awake at dawn and can be dosed as per normal.

Invert - switches the effect of a potion element by element. It is destroyed in the process.
Poison switches with antidote (and vice versa).
Granite switches with disguise (and vv)
Fatigue switches with Energy (and vv)
Command becomes Invert. The invert then returns everything else back.
Invert is not affected by itself.
If any potion requires a target, the target will be the player who mixed the invert.

Poison - kills the player on the next sunset. The player gets one chance to drink an antidote if they have one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seppi
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Re: War of the Witches, rules and sign up. Date not set.
I am!

(well we'll see how the when works out)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oil Slider
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I'll play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Likens
United States
Cornelius
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll play. Sounds like a fun "simple" game. Sounds like an arena game.

And I'm sure I have time for this. why ? Because it hasn't been scheduled yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure I will play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Call me warlock and count me in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmy
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Let me know when the dates are for this adventure and I'm in. -Emmy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, I will let you know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Champaigne
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds interesting ... I'd love to play but it all hinges on that crucial question "when is lynch time?"

*Moon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
    Conserve energy:     Play Board Games!
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.
badge
Shake your business up and pour it. I don't have all day.
mb
With such a firm calendar commitment, how can I refuse? Perhaps we should call this "River's Edge 2.1."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey! This isn't based on Rivers Edge! Although that game didn't have a concrete start date. I mean, it DID, when it started, but we ended up playing a game of contagious first.

Anyway.

I have set the date, it's May 24th, and should be finished before May 31.

These are not the standard Monday start times - I broke up the week by starting on a Wednesday or something.

Lynch time will have to be when I am awake, so ... (I'm guessing) around 6-8PM BGGT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course... I mean... there IS no lynch time!!
(You got me!!)

But of course, the SUN WOULD SET around 6-8PM BGGT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bump. Ouch!

I added 'give' and 'destroy' as commands that can be performed.
I modified the potion list, and decided on the effects.

Unless I see/hear/learn of problems then they'll stay like that.

Still looking for more players!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Raven hair and ruby lips
Sparks fly from her finger tips
Echoed voices in the night
She’s a restless spirit on an endless flight
Wooo hooo witchy woman, see how
High she flies
Woo hoo witchy woman she got
The moon in her eye

Please include me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Heehee. Remind me not to joke in text.

I did not mean literally "Call me 'Warlock'" Mbs808 (or Matt) is fine.
I just thought the men should be Warlocks and the woman can be witches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, from now on your call sign is Warlock MBS.

I'm gonna see if I can consistently make you the warlock from now on.

But I still want more players. Can I have more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmy
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
bluebehir wrote:

I'm so upset now! I WANT to play with you ... but, now you conflict with MY game starting May 22. Now, unlike some people I know *coughs-MoonGoddess-maskingly*, I don't think I would do justice to your game if I'm distracted with MODing my game. Of course, we could play each others game at the same time and see how fast our heads explode. It would be interesting, eh? But it is estimated for only a week ... so perhaps I will be able to do both without need of heavy medication. Yeah, I think I will still play with you, as long as you promise to visit me at the mental infirmary, okay? Yes, that sounds good. Wonderful.

*Butter-probably_needs_medication_anyway-bane

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Likens
United States
Cornelius
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Butterbane wrote:
bluebehir wrote:

I'm so upset now! I WANT to play with you ... but, now you conflict with MY game starting May 22. Now, unlike some people I know *coughs-MoonGoddess-maskingly*, I don't think I would do justice to your game if I'm distracted with MODing my game. Of course, we could play each others game at the same time and see how fast our heads explode. It would be interesting, eh? But it is estimated for only a week ... so perhaps I will be able to do both without need of heavy medication. Yeah, I think I will still play with you, as long as you promise to visit me at the mental infirmary, okay? Yes, that sounds good. Wonderful.

*Butter-probably_needs_medication_anyway-bane

Trust me, it's doable.

I'm currently modding Telepaths 2...

and playing in:

WW - Survivor
Chaos Spawn World IV
Batman Vs. Joker
Star Wars Force Championship

Andrew's House Vacation (just got killed tonight)
Battle of the Sexes (starts Wednesday)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to give this one a shot. I'm new to the forums but not to Werewolf/Mafia and variants thereof...

Shame that I'll have to wait until May though... So can I play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rjphelan, of course you can play! Glad to have you on board!

And thanks Butterbane, I understand what you're saying, it's just impossible for me not to clash with *someone*. In light of that, this game wont be difficult to play, and hopefully yours will have settled down enough that you will be able to attend both.

We'll understand if you don't post much in the first couple days tho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat H
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
You had me at war and witches. I'd like to play, please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmy
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ah, well, uhm, yeah ... I will definately be here! It sounds WAY too much fun not to play! To hell with being able to keep everything straight, right? What fun is that? The housework will just have to wait until WW is finished, eh? Oh, yes! I do so hate housework. Down with dirty dishes! -Em

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danielle Anner
United States
Orchard Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
“A sense of humor...is superior to any religion so far devised.” ― Tom Robbins
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Valvard
msg tools
Spread the conFUDsion wherever you can...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll risk my sanity and play. Like the set-up. Reminds me of home.

J

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.