United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
When the bullet hits the bone!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks,

Anyone have suggestions for multiplayer CCGs? I was looking at High Stakes Drifter, because it claims to be multiplayer out of the box. Also multiplayer is Vampire: The Eternal Struggle, but I haven't played that either.

Ideally this would be a game played as a change of pace for a gaming group that ranges from 4-6 people (depending on who shows up). But as far as I can tell, most CCGs are two-player.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
B5. Can take a loooong time with more than 5 players, but meets your requirements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Orr
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
I hunger!!!
badge
Galactus wants to know if you have been Naughty or Nice
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Allegiance: War of the Factions. Great game that features decent diplomacy and is multiplayer only.

-Brett

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vampire (VetS) makes a nice multiplayer game, especially for 3 or 4. You can pick up some cheap sets off eBay if you want to go that route. I would try to stick with a single set rather than get multiple expansions. Some of the sets introduce new abilities or clans, and if you diversify too much when building a small group of cards to play, you'll wind up with lots of unplayables.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Mamula
United States
Oakmont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
molitor4 wrote:
Take a look at Allegiance: War of the Factions. Great game that features decent diplomacy and is multiplayer only.

I'll second this recommendation. Excellent multiplayer CCG. Plus, with only one set out so far, you can get started inexpensively.

High Stakes Drifter is a decent CCG based on poker. If your group enjoys poker, check it out. I've only played once, but seems interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sorbello
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Deciphers LOTR CCG works with multiplayer and is designed to play 2 player or multiplayer without rule changes... Only all other players can play their "evil" side on the fellowship players turn (clockwise order) I works pretty well. LOTR CCG was great In the fellowship and two towers with both their expansion sets but really went downhill with return of the king... I've even played a 4 player tournament wich i really enjoyed... i've played a 6 player game once but would recommend 2-4 players...
hope this helps a bit.
Cheers
lexen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fitch
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
You might want to check out Shadowfist, too. It plays well with more than 2, but I haven't played it in about 10 years...wow. I'm not sure if it is still in print or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game of Thrones CCG by Fantasy Flight. Your group can save cash by each taking a faction and giving each other cards of their faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Eastham
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can second the thrones CCG comment. Don't play anymore but we played a ton of 3 player (and more) back in the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lord of the Rings CCG plays *better* with more players in my opinion. It makes you design a really flexible light side, because you're likely to face Nazgul *and* Orcs *and* Uruk-Hai, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Reist
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
I can't say enough good things about V:TES multiplayer. Sure, it's terrible as a two-player game, but with about 4-6 players it really shines. I recall some time back it was picked as Best Multiplayer CCG by InQuest.

The game is very well balanced for many players, and there is constant diplomacy and backstabbing between the players. Negotiation and alliances aren't really options, but rather requirements.

The only drawback is that it is a serious game, with a serious time commitment. Expect a six player game to take multiple hours to complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
I second Shadowfist. You have to be willing to accept the genre-combining thematic elements (such as a faction which is a big-brother-esque magic-using government which time travels to the past to pick up demons to bring to the future and make into mutant cyborgs), but it can be a ton of fun, especially for those willing to be lighthearted about it.

I've also had quite a good time with multiplayer Magic. There are a very wide variety of variants, such that a good one should be available for any number you have (though, in my opinion, 4, 5, and 6 provide the best options), and it's not too hard to keep costs reasonable if everyone is willing to exercise a little discipline.

I haven't played V:TES in many years, but it never grabbed me. It felt too tense--you spend your life to buy things, and so I always felt as though each game very quickly reached the point at which I was nearly dead, but would then drag on for two hours before my inevitable doom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Spurny
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
We've been playing multiplayer MtG for years now, and it's still a great game with 3 or more. We do cap game size at 6 players, or the game takes forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrik Bøe
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree with the people that suggest Shadowfist and a Game of Thrones. They're both great in multiplayer, although Shadowfist is in a league of it's own, IMHO. It's still in print (from z-man games nowadays), but aGoT may be easier to get a hold of.

But I rarely have as much fun as when I'm playing a 4-player 'Fist game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadowfist is an excellent multiplayer CCG. It has been discontinued by Z-Man Games and has been picked up by a group of playtesters who are calling themselves Shadowfist games. Sadly they are making the mistake of not printing a base set and instead printing an expansion. In Shadowfist you need a base set to get started to get feng shui sites and foundation characters. Z-Man released 10,000 bullets which was a very useful set of preconstructed starters.

Magic and Game of Thrones are very good as well. Vampire: the Eternal Struggle I am sad to say I have not had such great experiences with. The games seem to run for hours. The mechanics seem like the game would be great though: voting and so forth. I think I need to play with an experienced group to get a better impression of this game. I have been interested in Allegiance for a long time but I really want to try before I buy. The cards don't look so attractive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Cleveland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the realm of older out of print game that would be easy to score on ebay
Legend of the Burning Sand (easily the best CCG I have ever played)
Doomtown (great weird west theme that uses elements of poker)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Carlos de Diego
Spain
Zaragoza
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vampire (VetS), 7th Sea and Game of Thrones.

Regards from Spain,

JC
http://ludere.ual.es/bsk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Pate
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Illuminati: New World Order. I like this game with up to six players, but any more and the chaos which was kind of entertaining gets out of hand. On the Edge is also good for multiplayer, and has the advantage of being cheaper than dirt!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I add my vote to V:tES as well. Also Deadlands: Doomtown if you can find it. INWO has simply too many game-altering cards you need to keep track of to really be worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Portillo
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Guardians, a great game, if old, that plays with up to four players. I also like Illuminati NWO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vampire:TES is easily the best multiplayer CCG I've played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Voderberg
United States
Lake Mary
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most games can be made Multi-player by just attacking right, defending left ((like VTES))

I also recomend Star Trek Second Edition by Decipher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
dwsparks wrote:
Hey folks,

Anyone have suggestions for multiplayer CCGs? I was looking at High Stakes Drifter, because it claims to be multiplayer out of the box. Also multiplayer is Vampire: The Eternal Struggle, but I haven't played that either.

Ideally this would be a game played as a change of pace for a gaming group that ranges from 4-6 people (depending on who shows up). But as far as I can tell, most CCGs are two-player.

Thanks!

Surprised no one else has mentioned LEGEND OF THE 5 RINGS - the original eventually collapsed, but I thought the latest version was doing well and still in print. It's one of the small group of CCG's designed for multiplayer play from the get-go - V:TES, ILLUMINATI, and IIRC, OTE are others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Helba
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't recommend Babylon 5 enough. I don't think I ever played it with two players. An excellent multi-player game.

One the other hand, I never played Lord of the Rings with more than two. I can't say that I want to.

I played both Vampire: The Eternal Struggle and Illuminati: New World Order multiplayer and two-player. I'd recommend either for multiplayer, though not as much as B5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend the Redemption CCG, if you aren't oppossed to a CCG with a Christian theme. It works great in multi-player, is still easily available from the website www.cactusgamedesign.com, and compared to other CCGs still in print it is very cheap. It has been around for over 10 years, second only to MtG in longevity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.