Daniel Vago
msg tools
mb
I guess it's a balance thing, but I'm still curious, thematically.

Sure, he is a ranger of the North, but ignoring the fact that the North is pretty useless in WotR, in the book he does in fact activate Rohan, so why not in the game?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that Gandalf, not Strider, "activates" Rohan in the books.
20 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played a game where Strider got to Minas Tirith early, declared himself the Heir, and my opponent put Wormtongue in play. I also drew Deadmen, so off Aragorn went to Rohan, activated them, and then popped up again in Pelargir with reinforcements. I think (given Veldrin's point) it makes thematic sense that until he'd shed his ranger mentality, he wouldn't have the juice to wake up Theoden.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Long
United States
Brush Prairie
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How bout them little panicky hobbits that can wake any nation up?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some dude
Netherlands
Groningen
There dismay took them, for at the gate was a guard of whom no tidings had yet gone forth.
flag msg tools
Swiftly the wolf grew, until he could creep into no den, but lay huge and hungry before the feet of Morgoth. There the fire and anguish of hell entered into him, and he became filled with a devouring spirit, tormented, terrible, and strong.
badge
Then swiftly all his inwards were filled with a flame of anguish, and the Silmaril seared his accursed flesh. Howling he led before them, and the walls of the valley of the Gate echoes with the clamour of his torment.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Always pack a Hobbit when traveling abroad! laugh
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Veldrin wrote:
I'd say that Gandalf, not Strider, "activates" Rohan in the books.


Yes, Theoden was possessed by Saruman. Strider was strong, but he's still a mortal man; no match for an two-thousand-year-old Istari. In fact, even Gandalf the Grey probably would not have been strong enough to free Theoden from Saruman's grip--it took another 'white wizard' to do that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bamonson wrote:
Veldrin wrote:
I'd say that Gandalf, not Strider, "activates" Rohan in the books.

Yes, Theoden was possessed by Saruman. Strider was strong, but he's still a mortal man; no match for an two-thousand-year-old Istari. In fact, even Gandalf the Grey probably would not have been strong enough to free Theoden from Saruman's grip--it took another 'white wizard' to do that.

This is another books vs. films theme fault-line. (Pedantry alert!) Theoden in the books is merely beguiled by Wormtongue to think the worst of Gandalf and everyone else that Saruman despises. I think it was a Peter Jackson twist to have Saruman 'demonically possess' Theoden. The game designers seem to lean (as elsewhere) to the books by having hobbits, the Ringbearers, or Gandalf while still Grey all capable of activating Rohan, let alone Isildur's Heir.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafamir wrote:
bamonson wrote:
Veldrin wrote:
I'd say that Gandalf, not Strider, "activates" Rohan in the books.

Yes, Theoden was possessed by Saruman. Strider was strong, but he's still a mortal man; no match for an two-thousand-year-old Istari. In fact, even Gandalf the Grey probably would not have been strong enough to free Theoden from Saruman's grip--it took another 'white wizard' to do that.

This is another books vs. films theme fault-line. (Pedantry alert!) Theoden in the books is merely beguiled by Wormtongue to think the worst of Gandalf and everyone else that Saruman despises. I think it was a Peter Jackson twist to have Saruman 'demonically possess' Theoden. The game designers seem to lean (as elsewhere) to the books by having hobbits, the Ringbearers, or Gandalf while still Grey all capable of activating Rohan, let alone Isildur's Heir.


Okay, my bad. It's been about 10 years since I last read the books. I guess my memory is fading. I could have sworn, though, that there was something more to it than mere persuasion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.